PIH Production Vader Helmet Up for Auction / Vader Helmet Discussion

It will be interesting to compare the final eFX version with this helmet as whomever bids would be just getting something a generation up from an eFX helmet (or the same generation as the eFX master, which itself is a generation down from the original). I agree they are very comparable though in terms of amount of detail. But usually people who spend that kind of money don't sell copies, but I do find it kind of amusing how that always comes up.

Also, one would hope that anyone who was seriously in the market for
a Vader lid of provenance would be well read and at least a member of
this place or have checked out Jez's site.

Well while I was there at the auction someone wanted that helmet bad enough to bid $15,000 for it but it didn't meet the reserve and I honestly doubt they were stupid.

Sorry but this price is ridicoulus. Good no one was that stupid to buy that lid for such big money.

Well while I was there at the auction someone wanted that helmet bad enough to bid $15,000 for it but it didn't meet the reserve and I honestly doubt they were stupid.

Was this someone physically at the auction or bidding via internet/phone? It would be interesting to know what that bidder thought of the helmet. I think what was meant was whether or not the bidder was informed as to what the helmet was.

The estimate for the lot was sort of odd. If it was a production piece but not seen onscreen it would have been worth easily double or even triple the estimate. Yet they set the estimate low for some strange reason (recent finishing work?), but not so low as to include the possibility that it is not a production piece and only a DP promotional template. If someone knows who is responsible for estimates at PIH it would be good to hear the rationale behind the estimate.

I think it has value in terms of being a very early pull from the Baker/ILM mold, maybe even one of the first considering when DP got it, but having been cleaned up a bit devalues it at least in my own opinion (plus the recent finishing, as apparently this came to DP unfinished). I am actually surprised it didn't sell because the estimate is a lot more manageable for some people to bid on than the Christie's Vader suit. But PIH was in a strange position because if they set the estimate too low then it would beg the question whether the helmet was really a production piece.

I guess given how much certain replicas, or copies of replicas, have gone for in recent years I agree that $15k is within the realm of what might be reasonable for a promotional helmet. Personally I think the MP ANH (ESB movie poster ANH Vader helmet) is worth more than this DP template, and (funds permitting) I would pay $15k for it, but not for this one.

Was this someone physically at the auction or bidding via internet/phone?

I honestly don't know who was bidding....wasn't really paying attention to that part since I was sitting near the front and wasn't looking to see if anyone was holding up a bid number but I'm pretty sure it was an internet bid.

I think that's even a fair bid for this piece. Still a little high, but not unreasonable.

If you compare it with the SL, TM, MP etc. the price is way too high for this helmet because it doesnt have the details like these lids. I dont say its worth nothing but its no way that good than the known authentic casts.

I think it has value in terms of being a very early pull from the Baker/ILM mold, maybe even one of the first considering when DP got it, but having been cleaned up a bit devalues it at least in my own opinion (plus the recent finishing, as apparently this came to DP unfinished).
I'm gonna ask again. WHERE did you read that the finishing was recent? All it stated in the auction was "later", which means no specific time, other than after they got it.

Was it written somewhere where they stated it was recent?

If you compare it with the SL, TM, MP etc. the price is way too high for this helmet because it doesnt have the details like these lids. I dont say its worth nothing but its no way that good than the known authentic casts.
Or they are set too low. :)

No seriously.

I'm gonna ask again. WHERE did you read that the finishing was recent? All it stated in the auction was "later", which means no specific time, other than after they got it.

Was it written somewhere where they stated it was recent?

Or they are set too low. :)

No seriously.

Because I know the consignor.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back