Plo Koon - Luminara - Maul

Did some tweaks on the model. I have redone the area where the fins connect to the washers (radiator section). I made the inner washers be smaller and more accurately sized.
Maul01.png

Maul02.png

Maul03.png

Maul04.png

Ok I have completed the models to my liking. I did many changes, that im sure everyone will agree to.

1. The thumbscrews are just thumbscrews now. There will be no button version.
2. The buttons are now the bezel led and the side greebly (which is no longer a screw).
3. The Plo and Luminara have an extra ring that has 10 little squares to imitate the end of the fins. You just have to line them up when tightening the pommel. This will make it look more accurate to the props.
4. No dark grey anodizing on grooves. Similar to the Series 1 and Series 3.
5. Overall accuracy improvements.

I will order prototypes this week. I need to prep the files and BOM list.

Thanks.

Plo Koon
Plo09.png

Plo06.png

Reference pic of the flipped bezel
Keldor.jpg

Plo08.png

Luminara
Luminara07.png

Maul
Maul07.png

Ok I have completed the models to my liking. I did many changes, that im sure everyone will agree to.

1. The thumbscrews are just thumbscrews now. There will be no button version.
2. The buttons are now the bezel led and the side greebly (which is no longer a screw).
3. The Plo and Luminara have an extra ring that has 10 little squares to imitate the end of the fins. You just have to line them up when tightening the pommel. This will make it look more accurate to the props.
4. No dark grey anodizing on grooves. Similar to the Series 1 and Series 3.
5. Overall accuracy improvements.

I will order prototypes this week. I need to prep the files and BOM list.

Thanks.

Plo Koon
View attachment 1873747
View attachment 1873748

Reference pic of the flipped bezel
View attachment 1873750
View attachment 1873751

Luminara
View attachment 1873752

Maul
View attachment 1873755

You're the man Gus

Looking great!

Will the two recessed bands between the pommel fins (emitter fins on the Maul) and the one channel just near the end be darkened like on the original props?

Looking great!

Will the two recessed bands between the pommel fins (emitter fins on the Maul) and the one channel just near the end be darkened like on the original props?

I personally think this would be better left the same color as the rest of the hilt. The Clan Saber Series #2 had some of those darkened areas done via anodizing and it made it much more difficult to weather afterwards, plus the color is tough to get correct.

Please correct me if I'm wrong though, but my assumption would be that we'd need to add an acrylic paint wash similar to the previous hilts to get that darker color.

I sent a PM this morning, but thought I’d post this here also for discussion. #3 above, the “Details” from the image. I don’t think those are raised, but milled recessed slots for the fins to key into. I don’t think I have additional reference, but a milled recess from the endmill makes more sense there to me.

IMG_6483.jpeg
IMG_6484.jpeg

I sent a PM this morning, but thought I’d post this here also for discussion. #3 above, the “Details” from the image. I don’t think those are raised, but milled recessed slots for the fins to key into. I don’t think I have additional reference, but a milled recess from the endmill makes more sense there to me.

View attachment 1873983View attachment 1873984

Agreed. From a construction standpoint, I think the only way it makes sense for this pommel to be made is that all the circular parts would be done via a lathe, and then an endmill could cut out those slots for those fins to be inserted in afterwards. So yea most likely those are open spots that didn't get totally filled in by the fins after they were inserted.

View attachment 1873983View attachment 1873984
Now that you mention it, yeah I see it. There's no visible raised detail for the fins that are flanking and the more I look the more the shadows looks like they're inside the edges instead of outside

Back