[Question] Looking to replicate Amber effect.

beaks

Hi all,

My SO and I are currently visiting Copenhagen and we were both really taken by these Amber bears (these are fake and state that they are) in the Nationalmuseet. We both thought there'd be some cheap replicas in the gift shop but there wasn't!

Amber-bear.jpg

I'd love to replicate it as a gift for her, but not sure where to start with materials. Amber itself is too expensive, and I don't want to cast it - ideally it would be a block of something I could carve this out of, or some kind of modelling clay that sets in such a way. Any help would be appreciated!

The easiest way would be to make a scuplt and mold it and cast it in Amber color resin. But since you don't want to make a mold and cast, you will have trouble finding a clear sculpting material to emulate Amber. Perhaps heat a plastic and model it before it cools.
You mention carving a block. Maybe find a amber color block of plastic and carve that with dremel bits and then polish that to a shine... but that will be A LOT of work compared to making a clay sculpt and molding it to pour resin.

Maybe someone who have made the sankara stones from temple of doom could help with what coloring is needed to make the resin amber color.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back