Suggestion Really...5 sections now for costumes??

:lol We can't win for losing. We divided these out, partially due to the exact opposite argument: "The forums need to be divided because I miss too much."

:lol

I never had that issue myself but if that was the guess I suppose it's "the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few".

I miss stuff because I don't go forum hopping.

Hm...I'm not quite sure how the new system makes it harder to find what you're looking for. Personally, I like the update with the new costuming sections. Like Art said, it does help a bit with the "falling off the front" issue, but more than that, for browsing I've found it makes it more efficient. If I'm looking through costume threads it's more than likely to learn about a specific type of costume, or find reference, or just to see what people have been building. Rarely am I interested in all of that, across superhero, video game, and Sci Fi based costumes. If I just want to see some SW armor builds, boom! All of them are in one forum. And just scrolling through the pages gets me much higher concentrations of relevant items, because I'm not looking for Iron Man or Thor builds, when I want to get reference for a TK build or something. Anyway, I don't quite understand how the new system makes for more confusing browsing.

I think that's the problem. I'm very rarely "looking" for something. Consider a person at the mall looking around for things that may interest them. Star Wars, Marvel, and DC have now gotten stores off location so I don't see them unless I go to a separate place looking soley for their product. My "mall browsing" no longer includes them and for me anyway, out of sight out of mind.

I liked when everything was together because, for instance, I have NO interest in the Marvel universe but every once in a while I'd see a cool prop and I can appreciate that. I never go looking for Marvel but if it's there I might take a peek. That won't happen any more.

And I never said it made for "confusing" browsing. Just means I see less. :)

sections or lack there of have never really bothered me as i normally get to the site and just hit 'new posts' or check out my subbed threads.

if im looking for something specific i search.

i must admit however, i started a thread recently in the sculpting/make up section regarding information on how to sculpt a back piece for vac forming and no ones replied (only one that did was a friend i linked it to) now is this because no one knows, no one found it or no one wants to help me? i don't know. could it be in the wrong section? it is star wars related but my question is more generic than that..

i guess it can be a bit confusing as to where to put new content.

that said no one replied to my leather pouch work thread either so perhaps it's just me ;(

Oh, I wasn't responding to your specific post, Michael. I was commenting on the OP more than anything else, where he said it made it a bit more confusing. I actually agree with your sentiment that for general browsing, it does limit the content you see, though.

I think that's the problem. I'm very rarely "looking" for something. Consider a person at the mall looking around for things that may interest them. Star Wars, Marvel, and DC have now gotten stores off location so I don't see them unless I go to a separate place looking soley for their product. My "mall browsing" no longer includes them and for me anyway, out of sight out of mind.

I liked when everything was together because, for instance, I have NO interest in the Marvel universe but every once in a while I'd see a cool prop and I can appreciate that. I never go looking for Marvel but if it's there I might take a peek. That won't happen any more.

Nicely put - I completely agree with this.

I'm really having a hard time getting used to the Popular Franchises Section. It's very frustrating that I have to now look in 5 separate sections to see all the Replica Prop threads. I don't know, I personally just feel that since this is the Replica PROP Forum that also showcases costumes, that it's strange for me to have to weed through so many costume threads to find Star Wars Prop threads. I get that there is a growing number of costuming members, but there are still a large majority of Prop members, yes? Why not keep those separate so it's easier for both groups to find what they're looking for?

So I was looking at the site this morning and it also hit me that the menu structure could also use a little cleaning up. As it is now, under the drop down menu for Costumes and Props the menu selections are a bit of a jumble (on top of the already complicated layering of costume threads).

Current:
Replica Props
Replica Costumes
Original Costumes and Props (Original meaning screen used or neither a replica nor screen used???)
Replica Paper Props
Sculpture and Makeup Effects

Suggestion 1:
FX
Original Costumes and Props
Replica Costumes and Props

^List consolidated and alphabetical order. Arguably, I think Paper Props could be listed under Models just as easily as it could be consolidated with Replica Props.

Suggestions 2:
FX
Original Costumes
Original Props
Replica Costumes
Replica Paper Props
Replica Props

^Broken down but uniform and alphabetical order.

Personally, I like the first suggestion best because it's simple and clean. Just a suggestion though.

...seriously, I don't mean to beat a dead horse here but with Costumes and Props AND Popular Franchises...it's nearly impossible to know where it's appropriate to post something...either prop or costume related. At current count, there are 7 sections for props and 6 for costumes....(facepalm).

Can't we just employ filter options for the popular franchises and merge those back in?

Last edited:
Why, again, did we merge costumes and props? Wasn't it that the costume section wasn't getting enough views or something? I think it was perfect when it was just a PROPS forum and a COSTUMES forum. The submenus were fine (screenused, replica, etc) under each.
I come here for props, but its really confusing to find what I'm looking for if every other thread is a costume thread in the Popular Franchise thing. Just seems weird to me. I have to admit, I've really lowered the time I spend here a great deal already because it's so cumbersome to find all the stuff I want to check up on.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back