Limited Run Resin Cast Thermoptic Pistol - Ghost In The Shell - 2nd Run Interest List

:) Dear TMAX , any update?

Thanks for the prompt. Sorry all, but we are now officially delayed. My casting guy got picked up by a Netflix show and has been to the wall (12+ hour days, 6 days a week) for the last 6 weeks. At first we were hoping this would not affect our timeline too much, squeezing production in on the weekends and after hours and I had planned to make up the time during the "finishing" stages of the run on my end, still make the "shipping" goal. We had hoped to get a lot done last weekend to stay on track, however this didn't happen as the Netflix show required extra hours over the weekend allowing no time for production. So we are now delaying shipping to end of September. This will hopefully allow for any further minor delays in production and avoid any further disappointment.

Thank you for your patience. As we all know, delays are often unavoidable in a run like this as those involved do this in their spare time around a full-time job. While keeping to schedule is important to avoid disappointment, it is also imperative that this entire project is a success without "burning out" anyone involved. This will secure the prospect of future projects.

Any comments or concerns, feel free to post or PM me directly. Updates will follow.

Cheers,
T.

Hi tmax just wondering the version you offer on your Etsy store is different to this one right?

Correct. The kit on Etsy is the same design as this but printed in PLA. So makes a great kit for the black pistol that Major carries. But this offering here is a clear and white resin version of the Thermoptic pistol.

Hey all. A quick update... progress is continuing but slowly. Here’s where we are currently at...

1ZQMvG7.jpg

ufo1W0X.jpg

IJzrrdX.jpg

YX7u6XJ.jpg

So we’re really happy with the castings but due to the intensity of this Netflix show, we’re not as far along as we would like to be. Of course, our goal here is a high quality replica (rather than anything rushed) so we’d prefer to take the time needed to ensure a top result. With that in mind we are once again bouncing the ETA, now to the end of October.

As always, if anyone has any questions or concerns, please feel free to message me. But be assured, while this run is experiencing some delay, it will be completed with the best results possible. (y)

Progress - all these parts have been prepped for paint.

3CE566EC-4F1C-4E17-BB7A-D7F637FA67F5.jpeg

The castings are great with minimal bubbles and imperfections and fitment is nice and snug. All-in-all I’m very happy with how they turned out.
Note: the “bubbles” you can see in the mags are actually just drops of water left over from washing the parts.

This week will be finishing the remaining parts and testing the paint finish on the clear parts.

Last edited:
Update:

QDD3Wmu.jpg

5gmBxUw.jpg

Everything is undercoat ready for white.

Also, here is some images for those wondering how transparent the clear is. We opted for a semigloss inside and out which is giving just the right finish...

t6ImirP.jpg

EqRvRJ6.jpg

7nFQfCZ.jpg

2Cc5soO.jpg

The sliding top panel is 100% clear...

Un0n9j5.jpg

Happy with things so far. There is one thing I'd like to work out... bullet shells do not have a consistent diameter but rather a subtle cone shape. This causes them to slightly tilt when stacked on top of each other. While the tilt per shell is very subtle, it becomes more apparent after numerous shells are stacked...

cqvkxWG.jpg

While supplying dummy rounds is up to each collector, it would be great to work out a way to have the rounds sit level for buyers to adopt. The only thing I can think of is to make a jig replicating the shape of the mag, but with easy access, then glue each round together in the correct position remembering that the rounds sit slightly zig-zag up the mag and slightly forward of each other as they stack.

Surely there is a better way! Any thoughts?

Last edited:
The jig sounds like a good idea. Did they use a jig for the screen used version, or a block of clear resin with the bullets frozen in place?

The jig sounds like a good idea. Did they use a jig for the screen used version, or a block of clear resin with the bullets frozen in place?
Yeah good question. They could be cast into the mag, but they appear to be inserted. Of course they could have machined their own rounds and made the shells symmetrical so they sit level...
kKXHBLU.jpg

And of course on screen they used CGI to show the rounds "floating" in the receiver...
IgXfle3.png

It's probably not that big a deal once inserted into the grip of course, but worth the discussion.

On another note, we have more progress...

TCdEjaP.jpg

The metal barrels are a big plus...

4VFV48H.jpg

As with many film props there are numerous versions of the screen used gun, all with slight differences. The front of the pistol falls victim to this inconsistency, however we opted to go with the front seen in this hero shot...

ydaGHmU.jpg

UqEMg9f.jpg

The darkened area is actually gun metal grey and darker than the graphite color on the sides...

i74AKOQ.jpg

So far so good. (y)

I sent a PM on August 1, to write that I would like to be put on the 2nd Run Interest List. Just repeating that here, since the list hasn't updated.

One way to make the bullets parallel-ish, could be to make the rear of each bullet perpendicular to the ground. An insert that looks like polished clear upside down stairs may work. Turn the magazine over, and insert a single bullet with each stair step. Polishing the stairs helps the thing disappear inside the frosted magazine.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back