Rocketeer “Veepy” Jetpack 3D printable kit project.

Hi folks, first post here. Appreciate all of the info in this thread. Helped me get to where my build is today. I started this project over a year ago and took a long break before starting again about 2 months ago. Also built a helmet that got molded like the original (I'll post a thread on that later). I bought Michael Possert's book "The Rocket Factory" and boy did that help with the details. Highly recommend getting one if you are trying to do this build and want to learn more on the history!

I did this project due to some interesting connections my boss has with the original movie props. He helped the prop building team with the TAFA Arc Metal Spray process (details in the book) due to the industrial applications that technology was being sold into. The company sold the equipment and supplies, and also did training for those machines. Arc Spraying is long gone from the company and we only concentrate on mold making and casting materials now. The Jet Packs were molded with our urethanes and laid up in fiberglass with our epoxies. All sorts of interesting history there. Long story short, the legend (how I've been told over the years) is that my boss was somehow suppose to get a Jet Pack when things were wrapped up in thanks for helping on the project. My understanding is that (details from the book helped) the molds were promptly scooped up and taken away after the movie packs were made. Well, there went that idea ;)

So, when I saw some of these files coming available to print, I had the crazy idea to build one so we could have it to fulfill our destiny and make a good story a great story. It's been a fun project and I'm really close to completing things. Learned a bunch along the way. It will be a cherished display item for our office. We are planning to add the other bits and pieces over the next couple months.

I stressed out about the metallic finish for a while, and I did a bunch of testing before landing on the Rustoleum Aluminum paint. I liked the medium luster finish in comparison to the more "chrome-like" paints I tested. It got clear coated for protection after I noticed how easy it got scuffed and marred. I did some steel wool metal-grain lines in the metallic paint prior to clear coating. It looks pretty good in the light I think.

I started using the Rub N Buff metallic waxes on the helmet project, and I pulled that into the jet thrusters. I liked the patina of that over straight paint. Still working on the fine details.

Anyway, that's my story and I hope to have a full display to show some point soon. Any questions, feel free to ask.

Attachments

• Helmet 1.jpg
    Helmet 1.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 30
  • Helmet 2.jpg
    Helmet 2.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 24
  • Helmet 3.jpg
    Helmet 3.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 22
  • Jet Pack 1.jpg
    Jet Pack 1.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 24
  • Jet Pack 2.jpg
    Jet Pack 2.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 28
  • Jet Pack 3.jpg
    Jet Pack 3.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 26
  • Jet Pack 4.jpg
    Jet Pack 4.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 29
  • Jet Pack 5.jpg
    Jet Pack 5.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 33
  • Jet Pack 6.jpg
    Jet Pack 6.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 33
Looks rad! Thanks for posting, and keeping this thread alive. I need the motivation to continue mine. Started a year or two ago and still need to print core parts.

Back