Ryan Gosling 'K' - Blade Runner 2049!

Mechanismo, you can be very proud of your modified WSL coat, but I think there is some confirmation bias going on here.

We have known for quite some time that the production coat is made of laminated cotton. I do not see Adam‘s video as counter evidence.

But first, the color.

As I understand it, the correct reproduction of the coat‘s color was important to him. That is the color of the coat he had on hand. We do not know which of many coats made for BR2049 he was given. Was it a prototype? Was it used for filming? Which scene? In what condition was it in?

As for the screen accurate color, in the movie itself the color is recognized and mentioned by a character: „The man with the green jacket, the one who killed Sapper, find out what he knows.“ And we see it, of course.Put that color under orange light (and the corresponding color grading for the particular scenes in Las Vegas) and it is perceived differently. What to do now?

Adam itself answers in the video:

„There is a lot of debate about the color and I am here to tell you this is exactly the right color but that doesn’t necessarily help you because the artifacts of what we look on on cameras and screen change colors all the time. It looks very different under all sort of different lighting conditions which is the reason no one can agree on what color it is.“

I, for one, want what is seen on screen. And that is green. SR nailed it in that regard.

Back to the material. Laminated cotton is NOT easy to get hold of for a project like this. Normal cotton is easy to get in all kinds of qualities and colors. Even for Adam‘s tailor it would have been easier to get a fabric that in combination with waxing resulted in what Adam wanted: the correct color - for him.

As for the other details of the coat, I caught many minor things that are off. But overall it is pretty accurate and a very good result for a cosplay project that is not a 100% dead on reproduction. Quote Adam:

„There is a specific moment with a costume like this. I love this coat enough that I stopped looking at the reference material because it actually feels that it looks great on me and that‘s what I‘m gonna go for. So, sometimes there is a handoff between like perfect accuracy and just something that looks great on me. And yeah, I often choose the latter specifically because I frikkin love this coat.“

So, there aren’t too many conclusions one can draw from his presentation. I just love his enthusiasm.

I believe we can only end up giving everyone at least a bit of personal interpretation to the color we would like for our k coat.
In fact, I'm targeting SR now, exactly because the proper cloth for me comes always first now and I consider it the most difficult aspect to handle if I'm not fully satisfied of a k coat purchase, second only to have a coat which is too narrow even if only in some parts, and also because I figured out that I chose this garment to complete my wardrobe, focusing on how it seems on certain movie scenes, not in others or in the museum exposed ones, without taking anything away from his waxed wsl which looks really good

Mechanismo, you can be very proud of your modified WSL coat, but I think there is some confirmation bias going on here.

We have known for quite some time that the production coat is made of laminated cotton. I do not see Adam‘s video as counter evidence.

But first, the color.

As I understand it, the correct reproduction of the coat‘s color was important to him. That is the color of the coat he had on hand. We do not know which of many coats made for BR2049 he was given. Was it a prototype? Was it used for filming? Which scene? In what condition was it in?

As for the screen accurate color, in the movie itself the color is recognized and mentioned by a character: „The man with the green jacket, the one who killed Sapper, find out what he knows.“ And we see it, of course.Put that color under orange light (and the corresponding color grading for the particular scenes in Las Vegas) and it is perceived differently. What to do now?

Adam itself answers in the video:

„There is a lot of debate about the color and I am here to tell you this is exactly the right color but that doesn’t necessarily help you because the artifacts of what we look on on cameras and screen change colors all the time. It looks very different under all sort of different lighting conditions which is the reason no one can agree on what color it is.“

I, for one, want what is seen on screen. And that is green. SR nailed it in that regard.

Back to the material. Laminated cotton is NOT easy to get hold of for a project like this. Normal cotton is easy to get in all kinds of qualities and colors. Even for Adam‘s tailor it would have been easier to get a fabric that in combination with waxing resulted in what Adam wanted: the correct color - for him.

As for the other details of the coat, I caught many minor things that are off. But overall it is pretty accurate and a very good result for a cosplay project that is not a 100% dead on reproduction. Quote Adam:

„There is a specific moment with a costume like this. I love this coat enough that I stopped looking at the reference material because it actually feels that it looks great on me and that‘s what I‘m gonna go for. So, sometimes there is a handoff between like perfect accuracy and just something that looks great on me. And yeah, I often choose the latter specifically because I frikkin love this coat.“

So, there aren’t too many conclusions one can draw from his presentation. I just love his enthusiasm.

You make a lot of fair points, achilles and it's definitely something to bear in mind. I don't want to somehow imply that my customize coat is perfect because it's far from it.

However, even if we were to merely view Adam's coat as just another K coat thrown into the ring -and leaving the color aside completely for the moment- it only serves to reinforce or lay bare just how incorrect Soul Revolver's patterns are. And this is patently obvious: the incorrect collar design, lapel placement, the sleeve construction, shearling etc.

In terms of the color, it seems to me that Adam is pretty much going out of his way to set the record straight. I mean, he underlines the point three times. Now, that somehow that color is subjective to him is one way of looking at it, but he mentions going back and forth with his team (Mark Dubois, Christine Noble and Laura Haslett), so presumably, they were pretty diligent about the whole process (again, not even showing a photo of the original coat is frustrating). Ultimately, these folks had an original prop to work with, something that cannot be said for any of the other current coat makers.

I'm a big fan of Soul Revolver's color... it looks terrific. But it's pretty clear that it's emblematic of the film's color palette in specific scenes and not necessarily representative of the production coat's 'raw' color. The behind the scenes photos certainly show the coat to be that dark, earthy green. No bluish-gray hue whatsoever, at least to my eyes.

In any case, the point I was trying to make is that, even if we leave aside the color and material completely, Soul Revolver should be updating and correcting their patterns, which -to me- is a far more concerning/problematic issue. In light of the new spotlight on the coat, hopefully SR will be motivated to step up their game.

Last edited:
You make a lot of fair points, achilles and it's definitely something to bear in mind. I don't want to somehow imply that my customize coat is perfect because it's far from it.

However, even if we were to merely view Adam's coat as just another K coat to be thrown into the mix -and leaving the color aside completely for the moment- it only serves to reinforce or lay bare just how incorrect Soul Revolver's patterns are. And this is patently obvious: the incorrect collar design, lapel placement, the sleeve construction, shearling etc.

In terms of the color, it seems to me that Adam is pretty much going out of his way to set the record straight. I mean, he underlines the point three times. Now, that somehow that color is subjective to him is one way of looking at it, but he mentions going back and forth with his team (Mark Dubois and Christine Noble, Laura Haslett), so presumably, they were pretty diligent about the whole process (again, not even showing a photo of the original coat is frustrating). So, to somehow say, "well, that's just his opinion" is splitting hairs a bit. Afterall, these people had an original coat to work with, an opportunity that none of the coat providers have been afforded.

I'm a big fan of Soul Revolver's color... it looks terrific. But it's pretty clear that it's emblematic of the film's color palate in specific scenes and not necessarily representative of the production coat's 'raw' color. The behind the scenes photos certainly show the coat to be that dark, earthy green. No bluish-gray hue whatsoever, at least to my eyes.

In any case, the point I was trying to make is that, even if we leave aside the color and material completely, Soul Revolver should be updating and correcting their patterns, which -to me- is a far more concerning/problematic than color, material or shearling.
from what I have read in the past and given the following behavior, it will not be the girl's unexpected willingness to provide me with some details, nor the release of a video by Adam Savage, which will make them change the score.

and this is why without the due discount it will remain 100% where it is, given that in addition to a lot more taxes and duties which would be even greater, we are still talking about a long job, however difficult and very much at the limit if not beyond my skills in some respects and therefore risky or in any case potentially requiring other expenses if I do not consider myself capable of doing everything on my own.

But if you want a coat of guaranteed high quality and with few changes, especially regarding the fabric native performance potential, in addition to the desire like mine to have a non-dark color (hoping that it is like in some photos where it doesn't seem so), it is the only valid choice, since the other two, wsl and Jameel:

wsl, I reiterated my interest and my questions, politely, and (not like here where I write more to explain everything) in a few lines in other emails, never got an answer on anything again.

Jameel, to whom we have referred several times, makes a post on the buckram, nice, but I know how to do it too if needed and it's the last of my problems: I like his works, and apart from what I have already spent and there's no discount, I can understand that it is a remarkable job and he maybe doesn't want to discuss the price neither for me that already paid one in full, but on the other things that are now essential (like lining to be implemented better, collar and measurements to be strictly correct and not at risk of narrowness, and in any case only dark colored laminate), absolute zero, so again, I only see one option that it's put in black and white.

Could I ever be willing to order a coat without any real guarantees to have it without color/coating and size issues again, after having already spent a lot for one and another considerable amount in materials and tries, also for my self-made one at the beginning?
ok, wsl, you can wax it but perhaps it remains a little dark and I don't want it waxed, and above all on many things here there have also been other confirmations that they don't listen much to customer requests anyway in the end, except insisting too much? or when they feel like answering, or for someone?
I prefer to know the guarantees and the crosses that I will have to carry, knowing that at least I could do it, with the ifs and buts we don't go anywhere, and here no one of the vendors, with just the few lines of some participation seen in the last period (especially about following our suggestions and showing any intent to improve more what is truly salient), seems to me to be able to remove such doubts, without necessarily having to blame anyone, but knowing that I have to make do, the choice becomes forced, all things considered

Last edited:
however, Carrera pants sorted out nicely, I believe I matched the color, even letting little difference between the two (one tends more towards greyish-army green, the another one is a bit more brownish, I can always think about darken them a bit in the future, but today here is very sunny and with my phone, in pics lighter than reality, where the contrast with bates black is actually lower).
Elasticity and warm feeling is very good, I just will add hidden elastic into the lower back area, to make it even more technical and versatile fitting.
I personally don't like the turn-ups like in the movie, just to try here I made them, probably I won't use to do them that much, but for anyone interested, that model is quite long to support them (of course I won't shorten and let them as they are).
I can't say they have a model already in the right color, I took best sizing for me (178cm x at today 76kg = 48 EU) in turquoise and orange (they also have brownish/camel/khaki-like choices, but I got'em on sale picking up what left, and no choice is a full match with the movie color, for fine tuning, dyeing process is needed), done three coloring cycles in the washer looking at the result after each cycle to tweak the dose of dye powder, using grey, army green, and brown dyes mix (before the process, I just put the pants to discoloring bath for a while in the tub, diluted bleach).

Attachments

• IMG_20240401_105849.jpg
    IMG_20240401_105849.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 49
  • IMG_20240401_105804.jpg
    IMG_20240401_105804.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 37
  • IMG_20240401_105737.jpg
    IMG_20240401_105737.jpg
    417.6 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_20240401_104510.jpg
    IMG_20240401_104510.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 38
  • IMG_20240401_104222.jpg
    IMG_20240401_104222.jpg
    6.5 MB · Views: 40
  • IMG_20240401_103938.jpg
    IMG_20240401_103938.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 36
  • pants2.jpg
    pants2.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 29
  • pants1.jpg
    pants1.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 33
  • pants3.jpg
    pants3.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 28
  • pants4.jpg
    pants4.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 29
  • pant5.jpg
    pant5.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 23
  • pant6.jpg
    pant6.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20240401_135726.jpg
    IMG_20240401_135726.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20240401_135706.jpg
    IMG_20240401_135706.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_20240401_160313.jpg
    IMG_20240401_160313.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 35
Last edited:

However, even if we were to merely view Adam's coat as just another K coat thrown into the ring -and leaving the color aside completely for the moment- it only serves to reinforce or lay bare just how incorrect Soul Revolver's patterns are. And this is patently obvious: the incorrect collar design, lapel placement, the sleeve construction, shearling etc.

In terms of the color, it seems to me that Adam is pretty much going out of his way to set the record straight. I mean, he underlines the point three times. Now, that somehow that color is subjective to him is one way of looking at it, but he mentions going back and forth with his team (Mark Dubois, Christine Noble and Laura Haslett), so presumably, they were pretty diligent about the whole process (again, not even showing a photo of the original coat is frustrating). Ultimately, these folks had an original prop to work with, something that cannot be said for any of the other current coat makers.

I'm a big fan of Soul Revolver's color... it looks terrific. But it's pretty clear that it's emblematic of the film's color palette in specific scenes and not necessarily representative of the production coat's 'raw' color. The behind the scenes photos certainly show the coat to be that dark, earthy green. No bluish-gray hue whatsoever, at least to my eyes.

In any case, the point I was trying to make is that, even if we leave aside the color and material completely, Soul Revolver should be updating and correcting their patterns, which -to me- is a far more concerning/problematic issue. In light of the new spotlight on the coat, hopefully SR will be motivated to step up their game.

Yeah, I think we should view Adam‘s coat as just another K coat variant. He had a good foundation to base his cosplay on, but we didn’t get to see the coat he had on loan from production. He possibly wasn’t allowed to do that.

The two quotes from Adam in my last post are important, I think.

What he wants us to know is that the color on his coat is exactly like the color of the coat he had on loan. He saw it with his own eyes under all sort of different lighting conditions and it is the same. So in that sense you could say it is subjective, but that is not what I meant, though there is such a thing as colorblindness.

No, I mean that he practically put a DISCLAIMER in the video: Look guys, it doesn’t help you much that I saw it in person and got it right, because through different lighting and in combination with different cameras it always comes across differently and is very hard to pin down. Sorry!

The video quality of his upload isn’t bad per se, but it is not definitive, either. There is the writing on the back of his coat, for example. You can just barely make it out. And do you know if they went through the trouble of doing an accurate white balance for filming this?

The other quote is self-explanatory, I think. After a certain point he wasn’t that concerned about accuracy. The differences to the production coat are what make his coat special to him.

Well, and about the Soul Revolver updates you are waiting for: don‘t hold your breath. I think they have good reasons for not doing them in the near future.

Yeah, I think we should view Adam‘s coat as just another K coat variant. He had a good foundation to base his cosplay on, but we didn’t get to see the coat he had on loan from production. He possibly wasn’t allowed to do that.

The two quotes from Adam in my last post are important, I think.

What he wants us to know is that the color on his coat is exactly like the color of the coat he had on loan. He saw it with his own eyes under all sort of different lighting conditions and it is the same. So in that sense you could say it is subjective, but that is not what I meant, though there is such a thing as colorblindness.

No, I mean that he practically put a DISCLAIMER in the video: Look guys, it doesn’t help you much that I saw it in person and got it right, because through different lighting and in combination with different cameras it always comes across differently and is very hard to pin down. Sorry!

The video quality of his upload isn’t bad per se, but it is not definitive, either. There is the writing on the back of his coat, for example. You can just barely make it out. And do you know if they went through the trouble of doing an accurate white balance for filming this?

The other quote is self-explanatory, I think. After a certain point he wasn’t that concerned about accuracy. The differences to the production coat are what make his coat special to him.

Well, and about the Soul Revolver updates you are waiting for: don‘t hold your breath. I think they have good reasons for not doing them in the near future.
At least for the collar positioning and funnel shape, it will be very nice if they did, because I don't see the problem in modifying the model in this sense.
Even the two missing seams on the elbows would be of a simplicity that does not explain their lack, and the same for some details of the seams of the pocket frame, which are not SA: on the corner, instead of making a diagonal joining line, they squared the two seam lines on the sides of the frame, perhaps well done, but stylistically it is an act of carelessness.
I noticed that some of their replicas have shorter sleeves (the final part cuffs area is less short in proportion, which is instead a well-known mistake of theirs), if it comes short, you keep it, you certainly don't start by really getting an xxxl to have the various panels of which it is assembled, to be shortened, because from now on nothing would bother me more than having other tight items, but obviously the joke I wrote about the 90s rapper style, I was joking, it's not that we need to exaggerate.
They could put a collar stand, it costs nothing.
The piping, also seeing Adam's version, is quite subjective as well as the padding consistence, but I will at least try to accentuate the piping for sure.
I imagine that expecting changes on fur instead is asking too much, having already expressed here why he chose it, and after Adam also expressed his first intention for real shearling, it is clear that they do it because it lasts longer, it will certainly be of good quality, then aesthetically it has nothing to do with the film, but I understand that they wanted to find a solution to the issue (but there's 90% possibility I'll end up putting my fur in replacement).
Even magnets, expecting to have to personally optimize the precise adjustment of your size, you can make do as many have done.

In any case, a lot of work will be waiting for me, after they give that blessed discount and I order it.
But you're right and as I imagine, no one will do anything more sensational to improve the replicas

Last edited:
At least for the collar positioning and funnel shape, it will be very nice if they did, because I don't see the problem in modifying the model in this sense.

The collar positioning is related to the lapel positioning and a change there requires extensive restructuring of the pattern. A significant endeavor. And changing something which for the majority of buyers works very well practically is something a business owner will not likely change.

Actually, since rejoining this thread, I do have some thoughts about the collar. Maybe in a few days I can contribute something. Need to go back to the drawing board.

And I have to read up. CountLau Boy, you sure like to write a lot. ;)

The collar positioning is related to the lapel positioning and a change there requires extensive restructuring of the pattern. A significant endeavor. And changing something which for the majority of buyers works very well practically is something a business owner will not likely change.

Actually, since rejoining this thread, I do have some thoughts about the collar. Maybe in a few days I can contribute something. Need to go back to the drawing board.

Yes, I always said as well I understand changing models cannot be taken for granted, but it's the most crucial and evident lack in SR (fur change, is not that big problem).

Now I have time, normally in warmer periods I disappear from everything that is virtual, if I'm in good health, I'm usually very busy in real life.

I'd like to help complete the point of the situation on this topic of style inspired by k, in this I now see the last resort in an SR that I would modify, I don't know if I will be up to it, perhaps I will partly keep its defects, but as long as you see me writing about it, maybe there's stille something more that could be done...we're here also for that, I hope my posts have something useful, as well involving who possibly knows even more than me, in constructive arguing and comparisons, even just between hobbyists and do-it-yourself lovers

Last edited:

Soul Revolver is a very solid, quality, good-looking coat. No denying that.
But when it comes to screen accuracy -let's be honest- it still falls flat on almost every front.

Incorrect material: twill instead of duck
Incorrect collar pattern: non-tapered, incorrect design
Incorrect lapel and collar positioning
Incorrect shearling
Incorrect cuff construction
Absence of shoulder panel structuring
Absence piping/piping effect

If the movie coat is finally confirmed to be waxed duck (like Adam Savage and his team have concluded), we can add 'incorrect lamination' to the list. But again, SR's laminated material is, by far, its most attractive feature so it's a moot point.

Having said all of this, if Soul Revolver went through the trouble of tackling the SA aspects through analysis and discussion (as happened on COW, where fans and competing coat providers did wonders to arrive at a truly screen accurate Raiders jacket: they also made Wested course-correct their 90s-era coat patterns completely), that would be a win-win for everyone.

Meanwhile, if WSL (which happens to be the 'underdog' here in many ways) ever gets around to correcting their default collar design/positioning, source better shearling and beef up their piping... they're off to the races. And for under $200 to boot.

Last edited:
Soul Revolver is a very solid, quality, good-looking coat. No denying that.
But when it comes to screen accuracy -let's be honest- it still falls flat on almost every front.

Incorrect material: twill instead of duck
Incorrect collar pattern: non-tapered, incorrect design
Incorrect lapel and collar positioning
Incorrect shearling
Incorrect cuff construction
Absence of shoulder panel structuring
Absence piping/piping effect

If the movie coat is finally confirmed to be waxed duck (like Adam Savage and his team have concluded), we can add 'incorrect lamination' to the list. But again, SR's laminated material is, by far, its most attractive feature so it's a moot point.

Having said all of this, if Soul Revolver went through the trouble of tackling the SA aspects through analysis and discussion (as happened on COW, where fans and competing coat providers did wonders to arrive at a truly screen accurate Raiders jacket: they also made Wested course-correct their 90s-era coat patterns completely), that would be a win-win for everyone.

Meanwhile, if WSL (which happens to be the 'underdog' here in many ways) ever gets around to correcting their default collar design/positioning, source better shearling and beef up their piping... they're off to the races. And for under $200 to boot.
the problem is that wsl has disappointed many, at least as many as those who were happy, from what I read here, some due to the size being too tight, then it seems they pretend to wax it if you ask for wax, no one complains about the material and lining, that's good point.
But if they didn't give me feedback on the duck laminate that they had given me hope for, if you want an unwaxed one, there isn't much choice, but for similarity to Adam's video, Jameel's laminate would win even if I find it too shiny, however putting your SR examination into the mix, then:
- twill is the only laminate, otherwise you can only do what you did
- if the collar is large, there is a chance of being able to do it, perhaps, as in the film, by making do after the purchase, but it is precisely necessary to understand whether, in addition to being able to replicate the stitching at the same level and style, one does not end up having to excessively distort the lapels (I guess the right one must be tweaked extending the seamline as much as the length the collar is shifted back to the left, so at the base of the left lapel, to keep the pattern right, you have to do the same but = too big lapels?), otherwise you risk having a ****** job on an expensive coat
- the wrong fur is a ubiquitous problem, you always have to make do
- piping, and if you want it, padding, they can be fixed a little, from what we have seen, as well as the missing seams that I highlighted
- if the sleeves arrive so shorter on the cuff panel, I think you have to keep them like this, I would never risk shortening them too much, now even a remote risk of tightness will always be my worst nightmare

However, those who are not even willing to change shipping company for a customer, nor to order the manufacturer (since you still have to wait for them to do it for you, from how they present the order question on their site) to avoid putting letters on the back for those who don't want them, imo it's really science fiction to expect a further change, it could only come if the numbers no longer add up completely, but imo not even like that, after all they will have already sold.
On the other hand, everyone can decide as they want, it's up to us to buy or not (do you perhaps mean that if they made it with a better design, you would buy it too? don't answer if you don't want to :)), so I now accept it, after all they have been clear about their policy, if they will without haste the price that in similar periods they have always done for a few days, I will buy it and then I will do my best without any further mess, otherwise it will remain there at cost that I remain without.

Last edited:
the problem is that wsl has disappointed many, at least as many as those who were happy, from what I read here, some due to the size being too tight, then it seems they pretend to wax it if you ask for wax, no one complains about the material and lining, that's good point.
But if they didn't give me feedback on the duck laminate that they had given me hope for, if you want an unwaxed one, there isn't much choice, but for similarity to Adam's video, Jameel's laminate would win even if I find it too shiny, however putting your SR examination into the mix, then:
- twill is the only laminate, otherwise you can only do what you did
- if the collar is large, there is a chance of being able to do it, perhaps, as in the film, by making do after the purchase, but it is precisely necessary to understand whether, in addition to being able to replicate the stitching at the same level and style, one does not end up having to excessively distort the lapels (I guess the right one must be tweaked extending the seamline as much as the length the collar is shifted back to the left, so at the base of the left lapel, to keep the pattern right, you have to do the same but = too big lapels?), otherwise you risk having a ****** job on an expensive coat
- the wrong fur is a ubiquitous problem, you always have to make do
- piping, and if you want it, padding, they can be fixed a little, from what we have seen, as well as the missing seams that I highlighted
- if the sleeves arrive so shorter on the cuff panel, I think you have to keep them like this, I would never risk shortening them too much, now even a remote risk of tightness will always be my worst nightmare

However, those who are not even willing to change shipping company for a customer, nor to order the manufacturer (since you still have to wait for them to do it for you, from how they present the order question on their site) to avoid putting letters on the back for those who don't want them, imo it's really science fiction to expect a further change, it could only come if the numbers no longer add up completely, but imo not even like that, after all they will have already sold.
On the other hand, everyone can decide as they want, it's up to us to buy or not (do you perhaps mean that if they made it with a better design, you would buy it too? don't answer if you don't want to :)), so I now accept it, after all they have been clear about their policy, if they will without haste the price that in similar periods they have always done for a few days, I will buy it and then I will do my best without any further mess, otherwise it will remain there at cost that I remain without.
To answer your question, if Soul Revolver made a bang-on screen accurate replica with their current fabric would I buy it? Probably. But the fact that they don't customize their coats is another strike against them, honestly.

sooner or later they will end up with some discounts, and I will put with my hands on this mysterious object, and equally taking it for granted that they will never change a comma of the design of that coat, hoping to have it with generous sizing without being too oversize, in any case having a bep in my hands whose serious flaw (apart from what I did to the coating) is only the narrow collar, I could also ask help to a pro tailor (if I'll ever trust a good one which can find reasonably time for me) to tweak SR in any part I cannot do by myself, making her better understand what I want to do and what not, using also my current coat to take examples.

Obviously given the overall amount of all these expenses, past, present and future, I would take it easy over time and without other fails or inappropriate risks, but at least in this way we could be able to make the most of everything, given that it is clearly impossible to get to the bottom of it with just one purchase and seller.
I hope in the measurements and the necessary extra margin, so that if Muhammad does not go to the mountain, the mountain will go to Muhammad

Last edited:
I'm reading up on various labs in the Treviso area, although I have some hypotheses, I couldn't say with certainty who is waxing SR coats.

What I'm understanding better, however, is that "acrylic wax" exists.
It practically makes the fabric wax-like and washable at 30°.
Also Demobaza (another high-end brand) I read on some their "waxed" garments, that are washable even in the washer 30° delicates.
I'm finding several, but they are all for professional use and since as a layman I have already done too many experiments and fails, I will avoid deviating from my set objectives, spending more money which would most likely end up further wasted.
The fact remains that this method, which therefore covers natural fibers (such as cotton, wool, etc), exists, that as I had already reported, there are articles where it is indicated that R. April had liked an initial cotton that "they had sent to be laminated / waterproofed" (therefore reference to a similar process, and not to native laminate), and the only really odd thing I read was that they would have "painted" it afterwards, as with the process it had changed color a little and they didn't like it anymore (which means that either they put on a temporary, scenic color for the footage, something worthy of what I had done before the acrylic disaster when I had found an almost perfect square but not well fixed and which certainly wouldn't have held up a washing properly, or the article reports incorrectly and in reality they painted it before or who knows, but imho if they say it right, the first one is the good one).

Nothing changes, but just to shed a little more light on the laminate/waxed etc issue: it's probably correct to say that someone in Treviso "waxes" for SR, just as Adam also said that his fabric is "waxed" (presumably like the one of the film that he himself had at hand), there is simply wax and wax, methods and methods, and that type of waxing (definitive and durable like a lamination made by a press/mold machine, even without perhaps a real infusion of the texture as for example is evident in Jameel's laminate although one side does not show the same external coating) it is not within the reach of any do-it-yourself lover, you probably need to have great knowledge of the subject, specific tools and materials, which therefore make the SR fabric is so unique, just like the one in the film, it will never be clear to me why they didn't do it on a duck cloth, but I have little to discuss about it and even less to try, I'll just wait to be able to buy it at the discounted price.

Just an example of what I'm reading up... possibly, I'd try it to learn something more in future spare time, on any cotton old jacket

Last edited:
View attachment 1811083

Hey CountLau, here is your requested video for everyone to see. My SR repels most of the water. It isn’t waterproof, though. Constant heavy rain and it will soak. Light rain no problem at all. Hope it helps.
great achilles , many thanks,

I was sure that fabric had kinda water repellency, it was pretty evident even only by watching it here.
I probably would have bought it anyway, but it's nice from you, and useful for the community.

I'm still waiting for now, since SR, by checking on relevant pages (social media etc), it is clear that since they made that coat, there has never been such a long period without discounts or any appropriate posts (Easter has already gone), I noticed that at most there could have been one lasting a few months between July and October, but never zero posts and discounts from early January to late spring as now.

This may be a coincidence and maybe an inventory sale is around the corner, but more than a doubt about the fact that, despite the questionable intervention of the owner in previous posts years ago when he made identical criticisms to two members of the forum, even his customers, here in public (questionable for many obvious reasons already discussed too many times), there may in all likelihood perhaps there was also some eye that (theirs or on their behalf) continued to report them on the level of interest on the topic, which certainly returned quite alive after my appearance in July 2023 as well of others subsequently, and as well as the new interventions and further purchase of Mechanismo etc.

So in the event that this is the cause of even wanting to think that I (or others, but I speak at least for myself) will proceed with the purchase at full price soon, I repeat, I would quit, I give up the coat and wear something else, I won't pay that price full and that's it (and if they were to increase it, obviously not even discounted). Eventually I will wear my current one with a narrow collar, perhaps not covering my face well, or more easily, another outerwear and for me the story ends here.

However, if one day I will start with new posts which begin with one showing an unboxing of SR, you will know that the discount has allowed me to do what I have already written several times. But it will just be like this, or it won't be anymore, and that's fine with me.

Perhaps the average buyer who hasn't already spent a lot, perhaps residing in the UK and therefore not paying duties, can take it easier and pay the full price, but I don't think the majority of those who visit their page would do that, much less me with what I have already done and what I should also do later.

If I'll ever find a proper cotton and I take inspiration from my current one without having to then coat it, modify it etc, with what I would spend for an SR now, I can make at least 4 or 5 coats and making them directly as I intended (also considering that I have a bep which in terms of design has few equals, to take inspiration from), without having to mess with something already set by others. I don't have all these magical abilities but I have already given good proof that I have some of them anyway, and now I would also have chance to clearly show what I want to anyone who could possibly help me with superior means and abilities, it would just be a matter of waiting much longer, I would do it simpler and take that SR coat and then work on it and possibly also keep some inconsistencies with respect to the film, but at least only if the price is the same lower and more sensible one paid by others, otherwise, greetings.

I'm probably paranoid, but it would still also be a good chance for them since of course, whatever I would do with it, I would show it here and do nothing other than improve it this time, so they would have everything to gain in terms of good publicity, although any flaw of the coat would obviously be up to those who buy it like me to possibly tweak it.
This obviously has little meaning, as they are seen as not interested in matching customers' wishes and requests, but that's the way it is.

Thanks you so much, anyway

Last edited:
for the record, Jameel's laminate behaves the same about water repellency.
The color in ur vid seems pretty similar, but I bet I can count on possibly having it less of a simple grey as it seems here (but maybe it's me with my dyschromia who doesn't see the green hue), and more of a colored tone (bluyish green) as it seems in many other pics

Last edited:
for the record, Jameel's laminate behaves the same about water repellency.
The color in ur vid seems pretty similar, but I bet I can count on possibly having it less of a simple grey as it seems here (but maybe it's me with my dyschromia who doesn't see the green hue), and more of a colored tone (bluyish green) as it seems in many other pics
It is hard to photograph. In person it is greener.

I have been busy with creating some material regarding the collar.

Mechanismo made suggestions for a custom collar. The specs he came up with are derived from the 1:6 K figure and the measurements are for a mod of the WSL coat. Shifting the collar is part of it, but that is not the aspect I want to elaborate on.

I want to update the specs for the collar because there is a problem with the funnel shape. If you cut the collar like he suggested, the funnel will be asymmetrical. I am sure when there is a head inside, the fabric will adjust itself and something workable is achievable. Geometrically there is room for improvement, though.

Now, photo material…

44944864xr.jpg

These I made way back at end of 2022. They show how the right and left sides of the collar overlap when worn in the up position. The area of overlap is a triangle. When collar is down, you can see the protruding part on the right side. This detail has not been implemented by any coat provider. Either it hasn’t been noticed (which I guess because it is not intuitive to make it that way) or it has been ignored in favor of the more practical solution: making the right side of the collar straight. Then when it folds down the two magnets align and keep everything tidy.

Nevertheless, here are suggestions to get to more screen accurate solution that allows for two positions of the collar when worn around the face:

44944868tg.jpg

44944870mw.jpg

44944871nc.jpg

44944869lx.jpg

To be continued.

Last edited:
Recently I made these. In this scene we see K wearing his collar around his face very tightly and we get to see all the angles. It is very dark and picture quality is not the best because I had to take the pictures of my TV screen. Still sufficient, I think.

47463685ol.jpg

Here we see him get out his spinner. We can see that the left collar part is already disconnected from the lapel. Every time he wears it in the up position, it is disconnected. Also seen, a zoom into a good side view with the angles of the funnel and a linear measure. Here it appears front and back side are of the same length. But K‘s shoulders may cover the lowest part of the collar.

47463681tu.jpg

Depending on the perspective, it may even appear that the front side is larger. But that must be a thing based on what lenses they used for filming - it is deceiving. Either the collar is the same width all around or the back is a bit wider.

And it is very tempting to assign the blue part of the collar to the blue part of the new geometry. It just fits so nicely. But it could be wrong. The lower part of the collar doesn’t necessarily have to be straight and could be attached to the neck part of the coat in a curve, I think. Just leave out the blue part.

47463679cf.jpg

Here is Mechanismo’s collar shape in paper form. I should have cut it in 1:2 scale because in 1:1 it was wobbly as hell and it took some time to keep this thing upright to take the pictures. But I could wear it around my head, ha ha. You can see that depending how you connect both ends, there is always a misalignment. Either the bottom is straight and the top is not or the top is straight (I inverted the pictures) and the bottom is not. Or you want the the overlapping part not to be a triangle and then it doesn’t align in two places. The funnel wants to be asymmetrical as well.

47463693tf.jpg

So, back to drawing board.

47463694fz.jpg

Beginning very small and then a 1:2 scale paper collar. The curvature is bit much but that is not a bad thing. You can clearly see which parts are curved and which parts are straight. The protruding triangle on the right side is there. The longer left side is a rectangle. It is symmetrical.

To be continued.

Attachments

• IMG_3026.jpeg
    IMG_3026.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 15
Moving on to 1:1 scale.

47463697pk.jpg

I can wear it. With fabric some adjustments may be necessary. It appears that it is a bit too tall. But fabric will wrinkle and the height (17 cm) is exactly as on my coat. It is close and should be good basis for those who want to tackle a custom coat.

47463688yo.jpg

Here it is in comparison to my SR. The measurements of my SR coat (size M) were the basis for my modified collar pattern. Since I know how my SR wears, it could be very tight around the face. Increase the length of the rectangular part of the collar and / or increase curvature. As radius for the circular lower part I used three times the length of the straight neck line. The radius for upper circular part gets increased by the height you choose for your collar.

47463690kt.jpg

My modified pattern in comparison to @Mechanismo‘s.

That took me a long time to create. Have fun with it. Bye

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back