Saesee Tiin Lightsaber

guabe

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I recently modeled a Ki-Adi-Mundi / Anakin Geonosis arena saber from Episode 2. While showing it to some frinds of mine (which I like to call the Hyperspace Pirates), Chris had suggested to do the Saesee Tiin saber; such saber I was not aware of.

While searching for it I figured it was the same hilt as Ki-Adi's however Chris pointed out that he had a book called "Lightsabers A Guide to Weapons of the Force", from Scholastic in 2010. This book has the following images for the Saesee Tiin saber:
1704900347628.jpg1704900347669.jpg

which is this set i found on the web
1704900347426.jpeg

and this
Untitled 23.jpg

However I the first image of the booklet it looks more like the Ki-Adi than the one on the right
The one on the right side of the book is a bit off to me, it resembles the ki-adi but some proportions are off like the groove spacing, the pommel height... My OCD just trips when i see it.

I also found some of the promo shots and toy stuff to have what I believe is the ki-adi saber and not the one on the right side of the book.
1704900347285.jpg1704900347378.jpg1704900347332.jpg
you can see that there is no black groove on the thin neck of the pommel when compared to the book pommel.

Anyone here know where this saber came from? is it legit?
1704900347232.jpg

Last edited:
In this image you can see that the 2 orings are present as well as the bottom large knob from the Ki-adi saber

Untitled 44.jpg

The Saesee Tiin looks like a slightly deformed resin casting of the Ki-Adi Mundi from TPM. They have a history of painting the castings differently and making weird combo resin hilts out of the clan sabers for the more background Jedi.

I don't know for sure, but I have seen the Saesee Tiin lightsaber in an old (2009-ish) SW Insider. It looks like the Ki Adi Mundi hilt. .
Ill search for it
The Saesee Tiin looks like a slightly deformed resin casting of the Ki-Adi Mundi from TPM. They have a history of painting the castings differently and making weird combo resin hilts out of the clan sabers for the more background Jedi.
It does look like a deformed or hacked casting. The button is the same as the Obiwan geonosis arena saber.

I guess I need to watch ROTS again, I don't recognize any of those other Jedi. :(
Darn, need to watch a Star Wars movie again. That's too bad. ;)

Actually, I think this is exactly it. You can see the mace windu and plo koon sabers in that same collage are a metal and cast version of eachother. I imagine digital copies were made too. But yes, this looks like a shrunken or slightly deformed Ki Adi Mundi saber. Sometimes details are lost, and those sections turn into solid sections, or they lose ridges, etc.

Looks to me like now there are TWO "Arena Sabers". This one:
22736068_1.jpeg

And the one above. Check out the red button! It can't be a coincidence that they're both the ones thrown to Anakin and Obi-Wan in the arena sequence. They just called it the "Saesse Tiin" saber for the publication.

View attachment 1778215

And the one above. Check out the red button! It can't be a coincidence that they're both the ones thrown to Anakin and Obi-Wan in the arena sequence. They just called it the "Saesse Tiin" saber for the publication.
Yeah it seems that this hilt must be from AOTC and beyond since those red buttons do not show up in TPM. That is a very good point.

It could be one of the stunts, like this one:
maxresdefault.jpg

As you can see here there is no knob or covertec wheel. On the KAM saber the knob and covertec are placed 180 degrees apart so you always see something from every side.

Untitled 226.jpg

So I did watch ROTS last night. The other Jedi shown are never named, which is why I didn't know them.
I did notice that when Gen. Grievous challenges Obi Wan, you can see his 4 sabers clearly. He has Anakin's, Obi Wan's and 2 others, maybe the Geonosis saber above and Qui Gon's?

In the Dooku fight anakin has a normal KAM hilt though
View attachment 1778385
Yes and in his other hand is Obi-WAN’s hilt that was lost earlier in the movie. AOTC in particular has a lot of continuity problems with the sabers.

It could be one of the stunts, like this one:
View attachment 1778387

As you can see here there is no knob or covertec wheel. On the KAM saber the knob and covertec are placed 180 degrees apart so you always see something from every side.

View attachment 1778388
The stunt sabers are usually missing protruding items like the covertec’s and some buttons, so again I’m still in the camp of KAM stunt sabers were used for the Anakin Arena and Saesee Tiin hilts. Seems the Occam’s razor answer for me

Last edited:
View attachment 1778215

So looking at some screengrabs from Cap-that dot com, you are definetly right. Although Anakin is clearly holding the KAM hilt when on the floor:
starwarsII_8829.jpg
The saber that gets cut in half when he is dual saber fighting is definetly the Saesee Tiin saber from the book. Check out all the details I arrowed.
starwarsII_8855.jpg

So for my initial questions, where did it came from? Geonosis arena dooku fight.

is it legit? yes it is...

Thanks to all for the insight

Last edited:
Okay, now that I'm seeing this, I'm thinking maybe we shouldn't be calling these the Arena sabers.
Is there any evidence they were even used in the arena sequence at all?

I propose these sabers may have just been made for the two close-ups in the Dooku fight sequence.
First close up: Anakin's saber lands on the floor after being cut in half.
Second close-up: Obi-wan uses the force to retrieve his saber before throwing it to Anakin.
Both of these would have been shot separately and inserted later.
That's why whenever you see the actors, they are holding the established cookie-cutter "clan" props.

This makes perfect sense, these 2 closeup sabers must have been exclusive for that scene, cause I can't seem to find them in the Arena battles. You can see Obiwan using the Shaak ti /Galia type saber in the arena fight
starwarsII_7816.jpg

Then in the Hangar floor its the red button one. I just cant tell if the one he uses agains the lightning bolts is the Shaak ti or the red button, but I assume it is
starwarsII_8743.jpg

So the 2 red button sabers must have been made for the Hangar fight, they probably though they should be different than the already stablished Jedi sabers. Reel Fakes you are most likely correct on this.

starwarsII_8840.jpgstarwarsII_8855 (1).jpg

So should we call them The Geonosis Hangar sabers then?

So looking at some screengrabs from Cap-that dot com, you are definetly right. Although Anakin is clearly holding the KAM hilt when on the floor:
View attachment 1778607
The saber that gets cut in half when he is dual saber fighting is definetly the Saesee Tiin saber from the book. Check out all the details I arrowed.
View attachment 1778609

So for my initial questions, where did it came from? Geonosis arena dooku fight.

is it legit? yes it is...

Thanks to all for the insite
I mean this makes sense, they would have used a resin saber to make the cut in half prop, and they probably don’t think that a hero was worth making

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back