SDCC08 - Dr WHO Replicas!

Haha. We very strongly doubt it. They've been promising to give us a sonic for over two years now. Someone said they are the company that is king of vapourware. They are living up to that. We can't really count the Robatto sonic as they never made it, and it was so expensive and of such a small volume, that it ruled out 99.99% of collectors.

They keep talking the talk, but even the hardiest of optimists has conceded they aren't capable of 'walking the walk'. It's all become a bit of a joke now.

I directly asked them at Dragon*Con and they gave me the blankest stares...So I also threw out the Zat gun at them too...which they suddenly say is coming along great!

Suurrrrreee.

They do make great products...when actually made...but man.

I think so. I had to come back around to talk to Nick so at least I had someone to talk to about Sonics!

The QMx guys literally had no clue. I was at LEAST hoping to see the wonderful prototypes, but alas. I did see Nick's personal 11 sonic and seeing it all in metal...wow! Way more fun than the toy!

Sadly it seems certain that the $4,000 Nick made ones are all we're ever going to get from QMX.
Yep, looks that way.

The more affordable, mass-produced ones aren't that great, either. The "actual screwdriver" # 11 Sonic made of die cast metal doesn't open/extend, and was given such a crappy paint job, it looks like the Character Options Toy version!

The brand-new TV Remote Control version looks better, but just as with the screwdriver one, it doesn't extend/open. So it's always stuck in the "closed" mode.

So, I ended up just saying "screw it" and ordered the Character Options one. It's the only one I could justify spending the money on at this time. There are, of course, always rumors circulating of one prop replica maker or another getting other high-end versions made and released in the near future, but the most recent cost estimates have it that they would cost £500, which at today's exchange rate is over $800 US! That's TWICE what the MFX 10th Doctor Sonic cost! :eek

In other words... I'll most likely be stuck with the CO version as my ONLY 11th Doctor Sonic for a LONG time to come. :(

In other words... I'll most likely be stuck with the CO version as my ONLY 11th Doctor Sonic for a LONG time to come. :(

Could be worse, we could have nothing. :)

I like the CO toys. For $30 you get something to play with. I'll be getting the remote for display though until a functional metal one is released.

Could be worse, we could have nothing. :)

I like the CO toys. For $30 you get something to play with. I'll be getting the remote for display though until a functional metal one is released.
Yeah, I thought about buying it anyway, but ultimately, I'd just be disappointed because I couldn't display it open. :unsure

I just can't believe the thing's as complex to replicate as it is. When QMX did the run of 25 made by Nick Robatto exactly as he makes them for the show, I was amazed at how many parts they said go into the thing. I never would have guessed it was that complex, because just counting every visible part you can see on the exterior, including such things as the screws and the LED bulb, the total you get is nowhere NEAR the nearly 150 parts they mentioned! I was stunned to learn that it's that much more complex to make than the Sonics used by Eccleston & Tennant. The amount of machining and hand labor that goes into making each one is insane!

As for the pricing I've heard about for the prop replicas we all want... I can't even blame the prop makers for that one. Even though the global economy's been in the crapper for the last 5 years, global commodities such as pretty much any metal that's used for pretty much anything keep going UP in price! If that prop replica could have been made and offered for sale 2 years ago, it would have been cheaper than it's going to be now, just due to people around the world constantly driving the price of the metals up! Anyone that makes a prop replica of it has to deal with that, they have no control over it. Add in the fact that anyone that produces a run has to have a machine shop machine the parts for them, and those shops have increased the wages paid to their workers over the last year or 2, so thoses costs are higher now, too. So I can't blame the prop makers on that one. Doesn't mean I have to like it, though. :unsure

Again, I really miss Master Replicas. Corgi shutting them down after buying them was a really stupid move. :thumbsdown :angry

Haha. We very strongly doubt it. They've been promising to give us a sonic for over two years now. Someone said they are the company that is king of vapourware. They are living up to that. We can't really count the Robatto sonic as they never made it, and it was so expensive and of such a small volume, that it ruled out 99.99% of collectors.

They keep talking the talk, but even the hardiest of optimists has conceded they aren't capable of 'walking the walk'. It's all become a bit of a joke now.

As far as I know the Sonics are the only thing they've teased or shown that hasn't made it into production so I'm not sure how they can be called a vaporware company.

As far as I know the Sonics are the only thing they've teased or shown that hasn't made it into production so I'm not sure how they can be called a vaporware company.

Well seeing as all I've ever really anticipated is their Doctor Who stuff that makes them just about 100% vaporware for me!

I believe there's a longer list though.

Just disappointed is all, I'm sure the stuff they have released is great, just wish they'd release a mainstream sonic.

The SG-1 Zat Gun to name another... There has been a number of props they made prototypes for and never saw the light of day.

I guess scanning the internet for a better version would be useless. I'd imagine you all are a lot better at it than me and you've had no result. Do you all think a functional metal one will ever be released?

The SG-1 Zat Gun to name another... There has been a number of props they made prototypes for and never saw the light of day.

I never realized they were going to make the Zat gun, the only article I saw back then was about the restoration of the original and a one-off replica, I guess I missed where they later said they were going to make one. :cool

One is being produced by someone I can't mention. There will never be a replica of such a complex sonic for less than what this person is offering. 500 dollars isn't a lot to ask considering the Robatto props were $4000 and the production run is basically non existent. How is $500 a hefty price? I stopped complaining about prices when I realized I wasn't going to get what I wanted if I hadn't paid the price, and yes, it might set you back but it might be worth it instead of buying half-done replicas which are poorly made...

Its actually 500 gbp so its closer to 700 USD. But nevertheless, I agree that it is unlikely that it will cheaper than that. QMX wanted to produce their sonics as part of their artisan line so they will have been produced by craftsmen in the US, so a price tag under 700 would be unlikely.

I never realized they were going to make the Zat gun, the only article I saw back then was about the restoration of the original and a one-off replica, I guess I missed where they later said they were going to make one. :cool

The page is gone from their website, but nope, it was supposed to be a replica line, with sounds and servos to open and close. Just another promise that had fans clamoring and excited, to be lost and removed from the website etc.

QMx never gives straight answers on ANY of the questions, unfortunately. They have the license to make what 4 sonic screwdrivers and a laser screwdriver...and just let it slowly fade. They KNOW fans will want it and they KNOW fans will buy them...comeon a $5000 limited set went and went fast.

Its just too bad to see a remote, toy and screwdriver made that have been better than anything the official prop license has made.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back