Shazam! (Post-release)

What did you think of Shazam!?

• Total voters
Looks like they’re going for the Big (1988) shtick where he hangs with a buddy to do cool stuff.

One pitfall I hope they can avoid is when an adult actor playing a kid oversells the kid-act. I hope he matched his performance to the child actor who plays Billy.

I think Zack Levi can pull it off. I mean, he was pretty much just a big child with super powers in Chuck (kind of). I also think this is EXACTLY the tone DC needed for a single movie. I mean DC comics were very goofy for a very long time, and I think this is just what they needed to get away from the whole taking themselves too seriously/grimdark thing. Saw the trailer on IMAX in front of Captain Marvel (<--- isn't that funny BTW) and it looked like a fun ride I must admit. Now, I'm not saying this is the tone they should stick with, but a one off? Sure.

Just came back from the Early Access screening. I really enjoyed it and give it a 7/10. Levi does a great job making you believe he's a kid in a superhero's body. The other kids in the movie are great, too. Mark Strong does OK as the villain, but this is really Levi's movie. Lots of nods to the DCEU. There are 2 after credit scenes. The first one moves the plot along, but the second one looks more like a deleted scene.This is going to be a hit!

Just got back from the early access screening as well.

This was a great family movie that was very refreshing to see with a complete absence of divisive agendas.

We didn’t hang out once the credits started rolling so I missed the after credit scenes.

The partial cameo at the end had me wondering if we would be seeing a full cameo (and if so, by whom).

A little concerned for the box office on this one as the showing I attended had a theater that was only about 1/2 full.

...A little concerned for the box office on this one as the showing I attended had a theater that was only about 1/2 full.

To be honest man, most people don't even KNOW that Shazam is an established character. Let alone what his backstory is, or that he's contemporaries with the Justice league.

Most people are going to look at this movie, and choose whether to see it or not, based on the idea that it's a "spoof superhero movie".

There are going to be people that declare themselves "DC Super Fans" that don't know about Billy Batson... because they've only ever watched all the DC movies back to the 80's, and because they bought that one catwoman comic when they were 15 because huuuh..."reasons".

This one will not have the benefit of name recognition like any DC film before it.

Well, the early reviews for this are pretty strong, many loved it, some are surprised how much they really did like it, and nearly all of them agree the trailers don't do the movie any justice at all. It seems to be holding its own against "Wonder woman" and "Aquaman" with a lot of hints its as dark as "Gremlins" and as fun and emotional as "Big". Apparently there is a boardroom scene that is a classic. I'll be honest, I never liked the Billy Batson/CM stories but I might give the movie a go, rather than wait for the bluray.

Movie is good, not great. Humor is really good. Action was eh, but it had a smaller budget. The montage and the board room scene are well worth the price of admission.

To be honest man, most people don't even KNOW that Shazam is an established character. Let alone what his backstory is, or that he's contemporaries with the Justice league.

Most people are going to look at this movie, and choose whether to see it or not, based on the idea that it's a "spoof superhero movie".

There are going to be people that declare themselves "DC Super Fans" that don't know about Billy Batson... because they've only ever watched all the DC movies back to the 80's, and because they bought that one catwoman comic when they were 15 because huuuh..."reasons".

This one will not have the benefit of name recognition like any DC film before it.

Outside of people who read comics, not many people heard of a B-character, Iron Man. BOOM- 10 years later.

Granted, there's no way in hell this will turn things around for DC. My only point is that it doesn't matter if people heard of the character.

Eh. Those are two very different situations.

At the time, iron man was a MUCH more important character in marvel than Shazam had EVER been to DC.

Anyone that read Marvel, or passingly kept track, knew ironman.
He was a regular in their flagship team of the AVENGERS (hell, he had their HQ). He played one of the most pivitol rolls in their civil war comics run. He was also a character, that when presented to audiences that DIDN'T know him, looked like a new and interesting character. He wasn't LIKE another stereyotypical super hero they would know. He was also played by a RIDICULOUSLY well known and beloved actor. And the movie clearly had great action sequences in it.

Compare that to Shazam... There are people that read dc comics that don't really even know him, or know much about him. He's a token member of the Justice league, he's NOT being played by a "RDJ" level actor, they're NOT showing great action sequences, and to new viewers, the character idea does NOT look original. It looks like a goofball rip off of Superman, and THAT'S how most folks are gonna think of it, unless they actually bother to see it. It's got a HUGE uphill battle compared to what Ironman had.

Just remember at one time he was the most popular comic book character in the world. I think the numbers for this will be better than most think. A lot of little kids want to be superheros and here is a movie about a little kid who can be a superhero.

There is some magic in Shazam. But, like the DC movies before it, it's still a miss for me. It comes close, but DC still just can't figure out what it wants to be.

We get your typical onenote villain - with a performance phoned in by Mark Strong - and his "henchmen," the Seven Deadly Sins. The Sins are these grotesque demons that just look completely different than anything else in the movie. This shift in dynamic is off setting and just falls flat for me.

The young actors definitely stole this movie. Asher Angel and Jack Dylan Grazer as Billy and Freddy are the stars of this one. Even Zachary Levi hamming it up can't compare to the what these kids do. There's a strange change in character when Billy does become The Big Red Cheese (and with all the naming jokes in Shazam, how did they overlook that one!?!), that just seems forced and too much of a 'Big' riff.

Yeah - I get it. The kid as a grown up is the biggest part of this film. It works for the most part - but, the problem, for me at least, is that big, grown up Captain Sparkles doesn't act like young Billy Batson. I'll even give you that Billy's "growth spurt" allows him to open up a little more... but, even that kinda thinking just didn't work for me.

Shazam is mostly a fun romp... but, like most DC flicks, I found it could have been quite a bit more. I could nitpick a whole lot more about what I think Shazam could have been and what they missed or failed to use.

Pleasantly surprised. Agree the trailers were pitched wrong. A little too much of WB/DC's two-dimensional supporting cast/baddies. Especially the bullies with the truck. For all that I see people lauding the boardroom scene, it fell flat for me. The foster family were the best part of the movie for me. And the last act was when it all came together, IMO. Loved the last few seconds before credits. Like both credits scenes. Hope it continues.

I’m really surprised how much I enjoyed it. Wasn’t much of a Shazam comic fan. But movie is so well done. Entertaining from start to finish and the Superman cameo was fantastic. Too bad they couldn’t get Henry to do it.

And the acting was great. Levi did wonderful. Even foster kids did well.

I was pre-disposed to like this movie as Captain Marvel (NOT SHAZAM) has been my favorite super hero since I was four. I'm 52 now. My opinion shouldn't count because I'm very bias, however, I was let down a bit by this film. I just can't seem to put my finger on it. On a scale of one to ten I have to give it a 7.5. It didn't disappoint , mind you, but this film is easily forgettable. Just nothing spectacular.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back