Sideshow Darth Vader 1:1 Bust

I'll go out on a limb and say I like the Anakin sculpt.

I think it looks like Sebastian Shaw, and when I look at the pics I've seen so far it actually looks like a 'person' is looking back at me (and not a hunk of painted resin).

If I hads the $$ I'd get one, not because it's accurate but because it's neato.

The one thing I do like is Anakin's head fits into the mask.

But the head is not tucked down far enough and also not pushed far enough forward.

Looks like they elongated the back of the mask to accommodate.

His head/ears should be crushed into it.

Likewise, the sculpt has grown on me. If the Illusive (at least) had a great likeness of a Vader finally spent, then this looks like a praiseworthy interpretation of a Vader I imagine still simmering with anger.
If anyone here had sculpted it I'd certainly doff my hat, there is a grandness to the sculpt, imo.
Whether the excellent paint job will transfer to the final product will be interesting to see.

Last edited:
I like the "snarling Vader in his prime" look. The dome is a non-starter, though.

I think this bust, sitting atop a full statue with a lit saber and facemask cradled in his arm would look allllriiight in my office.

Last edited:
But the head is not tucked down far enough and also not pushed far enough forward.

True, I was thinking of the IC version that was just way oversized for the piece to begin with.

As for everything being crushed down, this is one of the reasons why pieces like this dont capture it for me from an accuracy POV. I mean its unrealistic to track down every used part...fine, but these are things that can be done better and aren't.

It looks like they took Vader's right side of the mask and mirrored it to the left. That's why it looks odd. It is the same with their ANH figure...except for that they mirrored the left. :rolleyes

And for the love of all things holy.....they actually used the ROTS helmet (dome) for this thing...

There are original ROTJ helmets in the archives....how hard is it to have someone from Sideshow go to the archives and actually use something original for reference?

I admire the attention to detail, the head sculpt and the finishing, but if you can take THAT much pride in the finishing and head details, why not simply make the mask and helmet accurate? There is no logic to it...

Everyone with a SW license seems to want to reinvent their own version of Vader....

A collectible....certainly, but not a prop replica.

From this image in post #35 it looks to me like he would have to have one long neck, it does not appear that his head is positioned within the helmet correctly.

I think they want you to 'see' Anakin, instead of just from his nose up (accurate).

It's a good sculpt, not accurate, but nice.

IMG_0661.JPG

Last edited:
I think I see a bit of "that kid" who played Anakin [in the last two movies] in that sculpt, eh.

A great sculpt... but I'm not sure who it's meant to be?

Looks like they elongated the back of the mask to accommodate..

True.That´s wrong about the main shape. But there are many more things not movie correct. I also guess the wanted to add Hayden Christensen into the likeness.

Yep. Like on my sculpt. I did that:)

Hopefully I am not setting myself up to some flaming, but is it possible that the only reason we see Anakin's face so smooshed into the neck of the costume in ROTJ is because of his awkward posture on the ground? I could imagine how one wearing a similar set up at the Sideshow lying on his side could create such a distortion...

But it could be a reach.

Yes the Sideshow armour does look weird to me as well.

In ROTJ Anakin´s head does look like he´s pressed into the mask. His facial features create a distortion.
I also added this into my sculpt.
I guess it´s quite normal to someone who majors into such a mask for more than 20 years...

Yodasan: I don´t plan to make a full ROTJ reveal mask again. It was such a hard thing to do for more than 10 years...Maybe it´s easier to find parts for it or to create it with the great support of RPF members nowadays, but I will pause from it for the moment. Maybe I do a ROTS sometimes, when some years have passed.

The thing I did on request this morning is that I opened a it-thread in the JY, where I offer a run of my Anakin head sculpts for RPF members only. I checked the mould. They are still in perfect condition. Here´s the link to the thread:
http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=67272

Last edited:
I'll take one of Trap Joe's reveal head & helmet over this any day.

Put that on my Gino armor and it'll blow that SS abomination out of the water hands down.
So how much would that entire package cost, finished and delivered?
Trap Joe reveal head: 250 Euro (about $355)
Reveal lid: $800?
Gino armor: $350?

That's makes it about $250 more then the SideShow one, without shipping...

A lot more work and effort of course, but you'd get one hell of a fantastic display.

Last edited:
My old armor (which is what is being referenced in previous posts) is not something I'd recommend for anyone wanting an accurate set up.
I sculpted it from scratch back in 1996 with practically no reference.

In looking at it, though it is 1:1, it really looks like a mini-helmet to me. There's "something", or rather a a number of things off that collectively give it a scaled look and feel, to say nothing of the accuracy.

The sculpt, while a quality work, does not look like Shaw at all to me. For $1250, that alone makes it a fail for me.

It's a nice piece for the multitudes who know absolutely no better. But, even at that, the price tag is a big :thumbsdown.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back