Sideshow Darth Vader 1:1 Bust

Interesting reading for sure. Just had a look back at all the different comments on this particular piece. I placed an order for one of the exclusive versions back when they first went up and I'm certainly looking forward to seeing it in person in a few months.

I spoke to Sideshow about this piece and asked for some clarification on what Vader this was supposed to be. The official word I was given was that it was "Sideshow's own version of Vader" and not solely based off of any particular film. As many have eluded to, parts and pieces from each film seemed to have been used to construct the final product. While it won't satisfy the hardcore prop collector, I think it will display very nicely with the 1:1 Emperor by its side.

Two more payments of $200.00 and it'll be here.

One thing, actually the only thing that's bothering me about this bust is the dome. Does anybody else think the dome is too wide?
I'm getting one of these. Don't really care if it's 100% accurate and I'm not going to go through screen caps and production photos to find out what is accurate and what's not. I did that back when I was into lightsaber props and it caused many headaches.
At this point, as long as it resembles the Vader I see on screen, I will be happy. I know it doesn't look like Shaw from ROTJ but maybe it's a younger Shaw (ESB?). Even though, I'm over looking most of the little inaccuracies, the dome still bothers me.
I hope it's good when I get it. Otherwise I'll return it or mod it.

This is Darth Vader. Not the mean looking (at the time) David Prowse, or whatever that sideshow thing is supposed to be. You expect Vader to be this fierce looking bad guy and when the mask is removed instead you see this sad, frail old man full of pain and regret. That was the whole point

No Vader expert here but I saw this in San Diego and was not impressed with it. This confused looking Vader seemed like a generic Vader and did not remind me at all of the character I remember from the films, it did seem also to have scaled look to it even though it's 1:1 reminded me of the small Riddell helmets. Another little detail I disliked was the helmet sitting about a foot above the mask and how the piece of cape just drops off after the chest armour making the setup look a bit flimsy, wish they could of added a bit of the leather suit. The human sculpt even though it didn't look to me like the actor it did look good. Too bad as I will have to keep searching for a quality ANH Vader helmet.

Last edited:
Hopefully I am not setting myself up to some flaming, but is it possible that the only reason we see Anakin's face so smooshed into the neck of the costume in ROTJ is because of his awkward posture on the ground? I could imagine how one wearing a similar set up at the Sideshow lying on his side could create such a distortion...

But it could be a reach.

^^Exactly, as is shown in jameth1971's post here...

This is Darth Vader. Not the mean looking (at the time) David Prowse, or whatever that sideshow thing is supposed to be. You expect Vader to be this fierce looking bad guy and when the mask is removed instead you see this sad, frail old man full of pain and regret. That was the whole point

Hi all,

I think the Sideshow piece is nicely done. It doesn't look exactly like what we see (ever briefly!) on film but it certainly captures the essence of the character, and what Lucas was striving for here. I wish it had the eyebrows.

The ROTJ reveal makeup actually features the same scar design featured on the ESB reveal makeup (seen in ESB only from behind), the scar was simply rotated further to the front to accommodate the angle Sebastian Shaw would be shot from.

An interesting connection: the original make-up was applied by Peter Robb King, who more recently created Heath Ledger's Joker make-up.

I'm pleased to say that I have the original Shaw make-up appliance in my collection, along with Shaw's plaster lifecast that it was sculpted on. Stuart Freeborn retained the piece after filming, and today it's one of the favorites in my collection.

The "reveal" moment in Jedi is really what all three films were driving at - the redemption of Vader.

Best,
Brandon

Awesome! Could you post photos of this...?

Hi all,

I'm pleased to say that I have the original Shaw make-up appliance in my collection, along with Shaw's plaster lifecast that it was sculpted on. Stuart Freeborn retained the piece after filming, and today it's one of the favorites in my collection.

Best,
Brandon

Hi all,

Photos as requested:

Forum1.jpg

Forum3.jpg
Forum2.jpg

Forum4.jpg

Regards,
Brandon

Thank you kindly for posting that. :thumbsup What a stellar piece of history to have in a collection!

Thanks again. :)

Amazing! thank you very much for showing that Brandon.

I love the ROTJ Reveal, it's wonderful to see this in good hands, and in great condition. :thumbsup

Hi all,

Photos as requested:

Forum1.jpg

Forum3.jpg
Forum2.jpg

Forum4.jpg

Regards,
Brandon

That´s one of the best news i´ve heared for a long time!!!(y)thumbsup:thumbsup
THANK YOU FOR SHARING THIS PICTURES!!!!!!
To save this forever: It would be cool to make a cast of it and finish it up.

If you want to sell this sometimes, please think of me!!!!:$

Hey, Rocky Mount... You're about yelling distance from me.

A board friend and I were talking about this just this morning. What an improvement over the old Illusives bust. Do you have any photos of the inside of the mask?

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back