Slave to a Rhythm (with no grace)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Scott thats a smal bird mate 525mm from one end to the other on the skirt? Are you sure your measuring this centre line from end to end? Nice one on the 81 mm wing gap, thats around 11mm more than I make it out to be! Hmmmm?

Slaveunderskirt2.jpg

Big difference in wing well openings, eh?!

I just noticed looking at the chronicles book that the wing well bulges seem to sit higher on the fiberglass pull versus the prop - at least according to the photo comparison. More height and volume inside the fiberglass wells maybe.

Last edited:
Hey Guy. Did it again. The correct measurement would be:

575mm

Oops! Added up two rulers incorrectly...

My heart just sank, I really appreciate this Scott, my first thought at the 525 was wow but in my favour big time.

Now I think I'm going to stop building Slave 1

Its exactly the same,575mm but with a 70mm wing well. I could enlarge the wing well to 81mm giving me an extra 11mm in length but to be honest my skirt pulls are trimmed to the bare line where the pull curles round the edges so chances are they still need more trimming, which means they're pretty much the exact same length as yours.

So my wing wells are in the same place also, so I'm in the same position as you aside I can elongate the wells, which will look crap and the well domes will be out of line.

My heart is in the soles of my shoes right now, I cant see if these have been lengthened:sick, if they have its really not clear where and at which end. If its the well end, then I'm more screwed as the hull will need to move forward leeving a huge gap at the highest point of the skirt to body join.

:sick:thumbsdown

Last edited:
This now makes sense to having panel lines in the vac pulls on the rear skirt, how could it have been lengthened at the rear if all the panel lines are still on the bucks?

I feel like EMI after signing the Sex Pistols

Well, like you and Allan said: maybe making the radar dish smaller will help. Or the bar shaped engine shape a little thinner. Hopefully it's still do-able.

Cheers Scott, just a little deflated re the project, Really appreciate you taking the time to measure yours.

I'll do some head scratching

I get 575 x 80 on mine. I'm lining up the known kit parts and adjusting the dimensions based on that, it worked for me on the K'tinga and Defiant, so it should work on this. I'm not adjusting the body at all, I think it's fine. More soon.

I now feel like Virgin after signing the Pistols, a little better and a tighter control over the outcome.

Ideally I'd like to be Malcolm

That was my point a while back, and i got burned for making a crit, it wasnt a crit guys, i was asking if the hulls/buck parts really had been modified/tweaked, before being pulled as was stated, seems no work in modifying was actually carried out as the dims seem solid to Rich's FG hull.

Being a vac pull too, you do lose some "meat" somewhat too, which is making Guys build all the more frustrating.

Really looking forward to what you come up with Rich, thats really exciting news.

lee

Rich, please spend all your efforts on flatting out that rear skirt, that a big killer on my build re looks and accuracy

The new pics show a good shallow radius on the skirt.

Its that radius on the current hull that kills the front ramp to hull plate, i see what you were referring to now Guy, its too harsh a radius, hit it with a shovel maybe....that will flatten it out mate, but set it on fire first :lol.

lee

Not yet, there's still life in it, I'll add it to my Wicker man when it becomes more than impossible. I've already a few watches, Sat Nav, couple of Resin Kits, and some shoes in it.

If anyone can overcome this and get it done, you can! I think some of what's going on right now is speculation and not actually getting to the point of actually fitting parts in there. There's got to be a way to make it work.

Let me just say that it is so awesome that you guys have moved beyond the passive-aggressive yob-dickery and drama-queenery of just a few days ago. :thumbsup

And the two of you are to be commended for rising above all the trolling and baiting that was going on during those dark, desperate days. :)

Anyway, back to the Slave I build, right? :love

Its that radius on the current hull that kills the front ramp to hull plate, i see what you were referring to now Guy, its too harsh a radius, hit it with a shovel maybe....that will flatten it out mate, but set it on fire first :lol.

Rich, please spend all your efforts on flatting out that rear skirt, that a big killer on my build re looks and accuracy

The new pics show a good shallow radius on the skirt.

So, I forget, just who was the chucklehead responsible for reshaping the buck for the skirt that the two of you are going on and on about today? :facepalm

Hmm thats interesting :thumbsup

It's pretty simple actually: since you two have made several promises to stop slagging another longtime member here after what happened earlier in the week, I'm wondering who the poor guy is that you guys are so busy slagging today.

Been looking at ways of making the Slave skirts work today, with added front end work it seems that may have helped with fitting a dish that is closer to the original in size. Now that we know the wing wells are to large on the FG versions its also helped. As these hulls are in 2 parts, it may be an advantage as I can make any wing well width I like.

Be nice to have it at around 70mm as per the prop but like I said maybe to my advantage having it in 2 halves? All a WIP

You can see with this ruler placed on top that the length is pretty good. The rear skirt is now fully trimmed and ready to be joined to the front skirt. Still need to trim the front a little just to sharpen up the edges and same with the rear. I've a few ideas's how to join em but obviously need to think about not tearing the pulls also.

You can see on the prop that the plating on the skirt is to cover mount points, its identical on both sides and exactly where the Entex parts are joined to the skirt to the rear of the wing wells. Not sure I will be able to do something similar but will have a good go.
I think there is around 8 mount points for the armature on the prop, including whats hidden beneath the trimmed plating parts.

Thats around 8 mount points from the hull -Armature not Armature - display stand

Last edited:
Ha, looks like your'e having a battle with this mate, but don't you dare give up on S1 as you mentioned in an earlier post.:behave

I feel what youv'e said in the past regarding getting it as close as you possibly can is the reality of it all. If you just try to get things exactly as ref suggests/shows you'll tear your hair out!. I think the 5' Falcon builders feel the same, well I do anyhoo, that the overall dimensions are elusive until you delve in. That darned cockpit took me a week of pain just to get to the right tube size that I'm happy to start building with:rolleyes.

Hey, whats with this other machinist for getting the engines done?. Ah, where's the love:lol.

Seriously, you'll nail this prop mate, your'e already doing so:)

Stu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back