Question Something's triggering a virus threat

I'm on my phone right now, but I was on the rpf via my computer a few hours ago and didn't notice anything.
Is it effecting all computers ?

Btw I'm using Chrome.

Firefox, AdBlock Plus, and Microsoft Security Essentials running here and I haven't even seen MSE try to pick anything off. I know it's not helpful to the site to run an ad blocker, but cases like this are the exact reason I do.

Also, to anyone that's been hit by this - go update EVERYTHING on your system that can be updated after you get things sorted out. Flash, Java, any Windows updates you may not have yet...do it all, and *keep it up to date*. If you're not sure exactly how to do that, look into Secunia Personal Software Inspector. It's free, legit, and will keep you on top of new updates for virtually anything you have installed.

Well, looks like I'll be paranoid of the forum for a while now!

No need to be. There is an issue, but we are working to try to stay on top of it. We cut out a good chunk of ads yesterday that we have less control over (the ones that included the dating and bride services, and that should help narrow this down.

Art, I posted over on the Hunters Lair about my problems yesterday in their Vurus thread. Yeah, I was getting hit at home with the Vista 2012 crap. It came up in the OT section when I clicked Canadian money thread. At work everything seems fine.

I got this virus twice in the past month from two different forums. I have been using the noscripts plugin for Firefox ever since I got it the second time. Real PITA.

I'm wondering if this is why pages keep freezing on me instead of loading full? I'm using Opera which has always had the best in-built pop-up and ad-blocking of anything I've used. Luckily I've not had any hint of a virus, but the site does keep lagging and not loading.

Same here. I would have to say I was advised around 5 or 6 times in the last two months that my computer was being attacked when I would check out some peoples post.

Re: I think there's a virus on the forum

Back to topic. :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes

Is there any word from the staff on this virus?

I've been browsing with no problems. Last time the board was hit with one of these rogue "fake anti-viruses", it came up in a google search that visiting the site would harm your computer.

So far google shows nothing.

Kevin

In this case, it's not actually the site. It's the one/some of the ads. I first reported it in the Suggestions/problems forum and since running adblock haven't seen anything. That appears to be the best solution as a user. The problem is, it doesn't help the staff figure out where it's coming from.

IF you get hit and can note the ad on the screen at the time and/or the infected file/what it was infected with - please post it to the other thread to help them track down the culprit.

I got the virus a few nights ago while browsing the OT. Oddly enough, I was reading a post someone had made about a virus they got and wasn't sure how to remove. As I was reading about what thye had the same thing popped up on mine. I thought it was an odd joke at first. :p

Art, not sure if this helps but was just attacked again here is what my security stuff stated:
Malicious tookit website 9
attacking computer oweren.com 178.18.243.189,80
Everytime I log on the site is running slower for me. Just FYI, Chris.

Someone else got that this morning and we have blocked that domain from showing on adsense. Surprised another came through. There may be a delay on the block going through.

Art, around 5am this morning, at home, I got the Vista 2012 virus again. It happened as soon as I clicked on the OT section, I had been on the RPF for a few minutes in other sections prior. Whatever virus blocker my work computer has it seems to be blocking it here and running fine. My home computer can't seem to handle it though. I use AVG at home.

Art and the staff are going to need a stiff drink after this.

:cheers

No kidding. This is SO frustrating! We are doing everything we can on our end and trying to work with Google as well.

We can limit urls that are linked to content, when we find them, but what seems to be happening in some cases is that the ads are coming through based on cookies of other places the member has been... and we can't easily limit that.

Not giving up though. Still working on it.

The only consolation I have is that there are a ton of other big sites who are facing the same issues. This seems to only be targeted at sites of a certain size as it seems many small sites are virtually untouched (or maybe they just don't have enough traffic to notice).

12/29 12:15 PM just got hit with the antivirus virus again while browsing the OT. This is the only site I had been to today. I open topics in multiple tabs so not sure which ad got me. Saw one for cheap airsofts on the last tab I closed. Anyways, off to squash this bug again....

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back