Question Something's triggering a virus threat

Got two more hits tonight from the virus. Luckily my scanner keeps catching them.

If it's not showing on the server could it be something to do with the ads. I know the ads seem to always base themselves off of the topic description so maybe it's certain keywords that are pulling up virus infected ads? I keep getting them when looking for Portal stuff.

So, we have two types of ads here, those that we serve and those served by adsense. We wanted to be absolutely sure that we weren't responsible for any of the problems, so we completely revamped our internal ad system today, beefing up the security and making sure there wasn't another sql injection attack like we saw about a year ago.

We are continuing to work on the google situation. It really helps if you guys get a notice if you will let us know the url it is coming from.

Just got attacked reading this thread.

Malicious ToolKit Website 9

Attacking Computer plitti.com (204.12.247.51,80)

Attacker URL plitti.com/Main

Traffic Description TCP,www-http

This thing got me tonight.
Unfortunately I don't know what was on the page when it happened as my browser window closed and that vista antispyware2012 thing popped up.
Now i can't open my browser at all. I am posting this from my phone. My wife said she found some instructions on how to remove it, so I'll give it a whirl later.
This is tremendously irritating.

I've not seen anything yet.
Latest Norton 2012, IE9.
Has any premium member seen the issue?

Art and I are trying out the Premium theory. I've been banging away pretty hard at the site since becoming a Premium member and haven't hit one yet. The only ads I'm getting so far are for Propstore.

I too have been running Norton 2012 and IE9. Got hammered with them the last few days.

Were you using IE?

This thing got me tonight.
Unfortunately I don't know what was on the page when it happened as my browser window closed and that vista antispyware2012 thing popped up.
Now i can't open my browser at all. I am posting this from my phone. My wife said she found some instructions on how to remove it, so I'll give it a whirl later.
This is tremendously irritating.

Art, I've been gone for three days and I just successfully navigated all my unread posts since Friday. No virus hits at all. Looks like you got things sorted out now. Thanks!

Art, I've been gone for three days and I just successfully navigated all my unread posts since Friday. No virus hits at all. Looks like you got things sorted out now. Thanks!

I am not holding my breath, but we have been working our butts off trying to get this sorted, as has Google. What a pain!

Sorry Art, I spoke too soon. I got hit with the Vista virus again this morning in the Off Topic section. Looks like it was coming from Ask dot com. My wife is not going to be happy with me as she is going to have to remove it again. :darnkids

Edit- O.K. how do I do a screen grab? I'll log on at home tonight and if it pops up again, and I'm sure it will, I'll do a grab and post it.

Last edited:
Sorry Art, I spoke too soon. I got hit with the Vista virus again this morning in the Off Topic section. Looks like it was coming from Ask dot com. My wife is not going to be happy with me as she is going to have to remove it again. :darnkids

Edit- O.K. how do I do a screen grab? I'll log on at home tonight and if it pops up again, and I'm sure it will, I'll do a grab and post it.

When it happens hit <PRT SCR> Print Screen, then close your browser. Go to paint.exe click on edit then paste, it will paste the clip board into paint. Then click file, save as, and choose where and what file name, I would suggest using the date and if you remember the board it as well. ex: 011012_announce and save it as a .JPG file and when you get your system clean upload it to the mods or e-mail it to them. I just had to help a friend of mine and that is how we helped the mods at their site find out what was causing it.

Yeesh. With all of this plus our dear Russian friend, I really hope Art and the mods all have someone giving them regular massages!

Any word on the virus hitting anyone with a Mac? My laptop has been running really slowly for a few days now, but it could just be overloaded. Would love to get a response on this.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back