Star Destroyer #3

This build is the result of years of work. A case of trial and error, if at first you don't succeed, and all that. But it all started because I never saw the real filming model in any museum, but always wanted to (still do). So I thought I would build my own. I never thought I'd ever build three of these, and vowed I'd never do it again after finishing each one (ha!).

Now I feel I've finally got the model I set out to build in 2003 when I saw for the first time photos of the real star destroyer in a museum on Starshipbuilder.com. Seeing those photos inspired me to try scratch-building a studio scale model for the first time.

And what a ride it has been! Little did I know that my first star destroyer would end up in Patrick Read Johnson's movie, along with other models I made for it, not to mention recreating the original ILM facility on a soundstage! That was the most exciting, and most incredible experience of my career. Because I decided to build a second star destroyer, little did I know that one would end up in a museum tour replacing the real model.

Because I decided to build these models, I've met so many new friends and even childhood heroes. One thing that happened that I will always cherish... after a screening of our film '77 at the Hamptons Film Festival, we had dinner in a restaurant with our special guest Douglas Trumbull (who is a character in the film). Patrick introduced him to me and told him of all the work I had done on the movie. Mr. Trumbull turned to me and said, "You did a great job on this film." Having dinner with Douglas Trumbull and receiving a compliment from him was the equivalent of winning an academy award to a guy like me!

And because I decided to build this third star destroyer, I was able to meet Lorne Peterson. His reaction to this build was a validation of sorts for doing a mix of the real details with my own thing. When your work impresses one of the men who built the real filming model, then you know you're doing something right.

Like I said, what a wild ride!

Recently I did a series of comparison shots. I took some photos of my replica and tried to match camera angles with some of the photos taken of the real model in museums.

From the start I said that I was more interested in getting the proportions right than every last detail. A star destroyer is one of the hardest subjects to get right because of all the angles. I did my best having studied countless photos and gained valuable experience with my first two attempts. Those first two models taught me much about what I got right and wrong with them, but I think the third time was the charm. The only way I could have gotten closer is by having hands on access to the real model to take precise measurements. When building the way I had to (mostly educated guess work), some of the things you don't get quite right are only discovered after it is built and compared in this manner, but there is nothing so off that I can't live with the final result.

First is the photo that started it all for me. This shot used to be on Starshipbuilder.com along with many others. This one was my favorite. It inspired me to want to build one of my own. Here's how they compare along with two others...
SD_BackCompare1.jpg

Front-Top-Compare-1.jpg

Side-Compare.jpg

I want to thank all of you who have followed this build, and for all your compliments and encouragement. You've all given me that extra push to get it done.

Last edited:
I just saw the real thing at the Santa Ana exhibit.

I'm jealous!:unsure

You did an awesome job.

Thank you!:)

I was amazed how small it is.

Relatively speaking, it is a small model compared to the 8 footer, the ANH Falcon and the Blockade Runner, but, unfortunately for me, it is just big enough, and oddly shaped to make it difficult to transport safely.:confusedBut I'll have it worked out by WonderFest!

It has lots of "pencil" lines drawn on it. Does yours have that?

Mine has pencil lines on the superstructure and scribed lines on the hull (see pages 6 & 7 of this thread for the hull, and page 1 for the superstructure).

Last edited:
I feel so lucky to have seen the section you had brought to WF in person, and hanging with you and Charles was so much fun!! GORGEOUS work, and I can't wait to see what you dream up next!

I feel so lucky to have seen the section you had brought to WF in person, and hanging with you and Charles was so much fun!! GORGEOUS work, and I can't wait to see what you dream up next!

Thanks Jason! I was the lucky one to have met you guys, and to have been invited to include my model in your incredible display.

If I can, I will bring the finished model to WF this year.

If you own a copy of Star Wars Chronicles, and you are a fan of the Star Destroyer, then you know that the original model had pieces on the back of the bridge that are no longer there today. They were on the model for ANH, and some for ESB. They were located along the back of what we call the bridge "neck," and in the open space at the bottom. They can be seen in the opening scene of ANH just as the back of the ship comes into frame for about a second.

With a little help from my friends, we tracked down those "lost pieces." Now a part of my replica, here's what the original once looked like when ANH was filmed...

P1000249.jpg

P1000252.jpg

P1000247.jpg

Last edited:
We arrived here at WonderFest yesterday, and immediately I set up the model in the same place it was on display (partially completed superstructure only) last year. Next to me to my right is Jason's Blade Runner Blimp. He wasn't there when I set up the SD, so I haven't seen it in all its powered up glory, so no photos yet.

P1000265-1.jpg

P1000266-1.jpg

P1000263.jpg

P1000262.jpg

Its Rick....... lol, bud she looks stunning sat there, just keep those pesky pokey public fingers at bay this weekend.....have fun!

lee

Hey, Lee! Well, there were no finger prints on the model, but the mirror was full of them by day's end. It's been a fun day. I enjoy watching people enjoy the models.

P1000284.jpg

P1000285.jpg

P1000278.jpg

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back