Star Trek (2009 J.J. Abrams movie) Phaser Defined Thread!

Here's my mod of the playmates phaser...

I filled in all of the screw holes and most of the seams. Also did some reshaping to the front bottom piece. Thought it made the silhouette a little more accurate.

May try to find some better chrome paint for the handle-swoop section.

That looks really great. Awesome job. I actually dig the more matte chrome finish. I think it reflects (pardon the pun) the film more accurately and just makes more practical sense (not very safe for landing parties to be reflecting their equiptment miles away).

I don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but in the second recessed half round, there is a small triangle. It finally hit me that this was an "Up" arrow ... possibly for a removable P2 unit.

Then I remembered that I had emailed a friend who worked on the movie months back about this very thing, and he confirmed that a few of the phasers were made to separate. I'm guessing that must be where.

phaser.jpg

That's a pretty good find... and some interesting inside info... but I gotta wonder how that looks... doesn't seem like a good place to take the phaser apart. Can you press this guy for any more info? I would like to know more for sure!

That's what my question was going to be, if the barrel came off with it, or if it had another barrel,etc. But if it just comes off like a slide, that's more understandable.

This is where I am now
7165619.jpeg

7185475.jpeg

7201985.jpeg

7221392.jpeg

7239662.jpeg

7254892.jpeg

7268982.jpeg

7325471.jpeg

I have a 6 megapixel camera and I don't understand why I can't get pictures a little more clear than this. If anyone here has a few pointers please let me know. I only payed like 90 some bucks for it but this is ridiculous, these pictures should be much more clear than this.

john

Might have something to do with your settings. Might also want to invest in a small tri-pod and use the 10 second timer. The less movement, the better. But, you might also be taking a pic that should be done with macro, or being taking a pic that should be done without macro, with macro. Check your settings first.

Nice lookin' phaser by the way. :)

Picture quality isn't only due to number of megapixels. It also has to do with the quality of the lens and the chip sensors.

My camera is only 5.1 megapix, but it takes great photos (in the right lighting, it's kind of weak in the darkness. :lol)

Seconded on the "macro" setting and trying to keep the cam as steady as possible (tripod). Also use as much light as possible. And set your white balance if you can.

k

Turns out my camera is just a piece of junk, but I did find an instructable using a redbull can and a dollar store magnifying glass that was a big help. I used this technique to take this picture of a dime. I will need a different lens to get the focuses I'm looking for but now I know what I'm looking for.

0894587.jpeg

Once I get all these lines strait I'll be able to start smoothing things out. There are a few threads talking about alternatives to vacuum coating and I'm more than just a little excited to get this finished.

3570488.jpeg

This thing is completely wrong
0768949.jpeg

when I made it, I knew it was a funny shape but I didn't know it was supposed to be round. So it will have to be completely redone. I'd like to get some solid pvc to work it out of but I'll most likely do it in wood and cover the wood with bondo and finish it from there.

Here is a picture of the front
0780739.jpeg

All the shapes are correct now and I can begin smoothing them out.

And here is a terrible picture of the but of the phaser
0798158.jpeg

Only a little more work here and I'll start cutting in the details.

My friend says that he thinks no one is going to make a licensed replica of this item, I'd like to believe him. Does anyone know if there is any talk of this being done ?

john

Great work so far on that!:thumbsup

Also, I see that costume stores are saying that the costume phaser props are available now. I was wondering has anyone picked one of those up yet and if so, could you post some pics of it. I want to know if that orange & white playdough looking thing is the actual item? If not, how close is it to the real deal? Can it be salvaged into something better?

Never mind, I seem to have found it.
aaa.jpg

Why if the TNG version can be the correct color except for the orange tip, why can't the other two be as well?

Last edited:
Sadly because it's Rubies. I hope to find one at a costume store in a neighboring town soon and see it in person. It might be worth picking up and fixing.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back