Star Trek (2009 J.J. Abrams movie) Phaser Defined Thread!

9138-large.jpg

http://www.buycostumes.com/Star-Trek-Movie-2009-Phaser-Gun/65032/ProductDetail.aspx

Expected 08/15/09

Yikes! That nozzle looks pretty horrible!

I've been toying with the idea of doing a small run of "enhanced" Playmates phasers. There's a metalizing method a local company uses which produces a very good chrome-like look. (The item actually gets covered by silver particles.) The process is fairly expensive, but looks very good. Was thinking of cleaning up the PM by removing mold lines and copyright info, filling it with lead (to give it some heft), having it silvered and then adding the same red color and weathering as in the photo above. Only downside (besides the cost) is that the phaser would have to be static and without sound.

Expected 08/15/09

FYI, they're also on sale at Target right now, if anyone wants to save a little. ;)
I visited our local Target right after the film opened, and they had one phaser on the pegs for $14.99; the rotating nozzle was crooked, so I passed on it. Last week I was in a different Target, and they had nine of 'em. I still paid $14.99, but at least I got one with a straight nozzle. :cool

Are these things becoming to be in short supply? My local Target only has one and my Walmart has NEVER had any trek stuff. I want to pick up at least a couple phasers for modification but they're getting hard to find.

I've never seen any of the role play stuff at wal-mart either but I went to Target today and grabbed a phaser.

they had the tricorder there too but I've already spent more than I should this week :p

Here's my mod of the playmates phaser:

Phaser09-001.jpg

Phaser09-002.jpg

I filled in all of the screw holes and most of the seams. Also did some reshaping to the front bottom piece. Thought it made the silhouette a little more accurate.

May try to find some better chrome paint for the handle-swoop section.

Last edited:

Phaser09-001.jpg

Phaser09-002.jpg

I filled in all of the screw holes and most of the seams. Also did some reshaping to the front bottom piece. Thought it made the silhouette a little more accurate.

I like it! Nice finish and looks great!(y)thumbsup:thumbsup

Thermal

Great job! :D

My local (non-super) WM didn't get any Trek or Terminator stuff. But none of any of the near by WM's got any phasers, tricorders, or comms. However, the TRU an hour away has about 8 pegs of them.

Phaser09-001.jpg

Phaser09-002.jpg

Did you do this with the unit screwed together? Did you take off the chrome before puttying it?

Tom

Well, I finally got around to seeing Star Trek Saturday. Yeah I liked it, but that's a different thread! After seeing the movie I stopped by K-Mart and picked up the phaser. Walmart only has the figures and Big E and TRU is an hour drive. It's a nice little toy but needs some work done to make it decent. Has anyone taken it apart completely? I can't figure out how to get the buton/white bar and spring back in!

I don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but in the second recessed half round, there is a small triangle. It finally hit me that this was an "Up" arrow ... possibly for a removable P2 unit.

Then I remembered that I had emailed a friend who worked on the movie months back about this very thing, and he confirmed that a few of the phasers were made to separate. I'm guessing that must be where.

phaser.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back