Star Trek Into Darkness (Pre-release)

And yet, I still don't know what the reason is for postponing release in certain countries. I'm going to the opening night in june, but japan opens in september... By then it's probably already out on DVD...

Is this a financial thing or a technical thing? I have asked this before, I know, but I'd hoped someone could provide me the answer.

Ah, the cries and protestations of the ignorant and arrogant. The self appointed arbiters of taste. But the Emporer has no clothes. They are simple men with thin skins and equally fragile ego's. And they reek of desperation.

Now that is funny - like an alphabet soup of t-shirt quotes. BTW dropoff is predicted over 40 to perhaps 50 - not that facts have anything to do with reality - Cause "your friends and wife liked it" LOL

a 45.8 drop only pulling in another 38m in its second week - no matter how you dice it...

Last edited:
"friends and wife"

With apologies, I didn't mean to be insensitive as you likely have neither. :)

More to the point, although I enjoyed that immensely, ST-'09 did total box office of $385M. STITD looks to be on for LOW $300M. This is Trek, not Ironman. I may not be an industry hack like some people, but I am an Investment and Portfolio Manager. I know a balance sheet and even without the product licensing rights for old Trek, these films are money makers for Paramount. Paramount will continue to build and support this franchise, my personal hope being they consider (if they can make a deal with CBS, which looks unlikely at the moment) an opportunity to bring Trek back to TV where it really can find it's legs. Then films can be supportive of their television stories and arch's.

Last edited:
a 45.8 drop only pulling in another 38m in its second week - no matter how you dice it...

Paul- I'll start by saying I like you. :)

(No really, I find you to be funny when needed, and insightful as you are one of the few around here that actually work in Hollywood)...

Having said that... ;)

This using box office take as a gauge of how "good or bad" this latest Trek film is, is really ironic.

Four years ago when JJTrek came out and broke all box office records for a Star Trek film, all the detractors claimed that box office take was not a true reflection of whether the film was "good" (as... moviegoers are stupid and will plunk down money for "anything", and other films that sucked such as Spiderman 3 made over 300 million).

So Star Trek '09 makes a big return = "I don't care how much money it made; JJTrek sucks."

Now that STID "isn't" making a great return (which I'll admit it isn't) all the detractors now say that the box office return DOES matter and is a clear indicator that JJTrek sucks.

I just find this amusing. :)

But hey... It took two Next Generation sequels that were box office bombs before Trek was put on hiatus again. :)

Kevin

Paul- I'll start by saying I like you. :)

(No really, I find you to be funny when needed, and insightful as you are one of the few around here that actually work in Hollywood)...

Kevin

Very ironic, as I used to as well until he seems obsessed with telling people what they should or should not enjoy and disparaging them if they disagree. I don't take that kind of douchbaggery quietly. I was disgusted by the way he treated people in the Man of Steal thread. He and I can keep dancing all night, I'm a lot more fit then he is. :)

i love you too Kevin - wait I mean like- but the 09 movie wasn't seen as a success - and I only use the returns because they even surprised me as to how bad they are - For a spit shined new Trek film that has so much endorsement and so much riding on it. These types of numbers may put Trek back on the closet again. The numbers say more than money - they say people don't care - they are uninterested in this incarnation - now this may have to do with having a director who doesn't care for the material, and doesn't understand it as well - his solution was to take a totally separate thing and make it into Star Wars - what if this had been dine with Serenity or Galactica - ? You also have two writers who handled the property like if they bought a cd but only played the hits they heard on the radio when they listened to it. I'm a huge Trek fan and one of the reasons I love TOS so much is because it's distinct - it's own bird. They use the excusethat "modern audiences" are used to more action and a faster pace - don't tell the kids who are making Doctor Who a viable product stateside. The whole thing just stinks to me.

Can anyone really say they liked the repeat Kirk/Spock scene toward the end - and the way it was handled?

He and I can keep dancing all night, I'm a lot more fit then he is. :)

In your dreams -

and I haven't attacked anyone - you are the one who seems unable to write without including high iq vocabulary like douchbaggery - very fit indeed. I may banter but I never make it personal - like you. Facts are facts.

Can anyone really say they liked the repeat Kirk/Spock scene toward the end - and the way it was handled?

This is going to come off as just being a contrarian, however I "did" like the way they handled the role reversal. It literally moved me to tears. I don't weep at films without being deeply moved. Or maybe I was ovulating. :lol

I will say the "KHAAAAAN" by Spock was pretty cringe worthy, but JJ had the foresight to throw me back into the action and not give me time to reflect on it. ;)

Kevin

415591_3780813521252_1414382372_o.jpg
In your dreams -

and I haven't attacked anyone - you are the one who seems unable to write without including high iq vocabulary like douchbaggery - very fit indeed. I may banter but I never make it personal - like you. Facts are facts.

By fit in meant physical. I compete in the Ironman triathlon series, 2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike, 26.2 mile run all in one day. And I am ranked in the very top of my age group, M40-44. That's my picture from last year in my avatar. Trust me, I ran over 10 miles today and biked 53 yesterday avenging over 22mph, I m very much the fittest person on the RPF by a long shot.

Regardless, I really have/had a lot or admiration for you. I never saw Sky High but knew enough that it was well received and a good film for families. My compliments. But when you started to throw that respect around in an effort to insult others opinions, I decided to confront you. I find it odd you choose that path. You seem to exercising, a term I am well familiar with, that goodwill by denigrating he opinions of others. The fact that you respond my challenges is encouraging, you do have a sense of what is right and feel bad being bad. I'm willing to bury that hatchet. I would like to show my 3 month old son Sky High one day.

Here is me finishing my 3rd trip to the Ironman World Championships this past October, just to be clear about that.

Last edited:
And I insulted no one - you were the first one to start doing that - I simply argued - you do know lifting weights causes one to be more --- well nevermind.

I can say I liked the scene you're referring to was handled, while still objecting to your designating it a "repeat." Doesn't fit what I require of something to relegate it to that.

And I insulted no one -

Come now, Paul, while their might not be blatant name calling, there's a pervasive condescension coming from you that I thinks fits the bill. From this thread:

Now that is funny - like an alphabet soup of t-shirt quotes.

I've got nothing against sparring like this, and enjoy nothing more than a good jab back, but let's call it like it is!

But wait - I never made it personal - I don't do that. If I strut, it's done out of my confidence in my pov . I see the back and fourth on the RPF as fun - nothing more, i hold nothing against anyone - name calling is done when you take things too personal. There's nothing wrong with a person defending his opinion - but be ready to defend it - If I come off as smug, remember I do this for a living - I walk with titans and must keep stride (not my line). I argue with Terry Rossio like this on a daily basis - not to mention a slew of other -- how was it put "hack writers" who I call friends - but it's healthy to do this because if we can't convince each other - what chance do we have in a room with Walter Parks, Brad Grey, Scott Ross or whoever else is dangling an assignment in front of our face. Perhaps that is my problem - in this arena I should tone it down or just let the top opinion take flight and not say anything.

I told you - if you're down my way you are more than welcome to come with me to one of his parties - he has them every 2 weeks - he's about to have a big one for Lone Ranger. Just don't bring up Trek - he's one of the - ah-hem "hacks" who I went with to see it and he hated it more than me.

Wait - no, come in uniform

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back