Unlimited Run Star Trek: Picard, Away Jackets, Now Taking Orders!

Oh definitely! When I worked at the leather costume shop here in Vancouver that is how everyone was treated, even stunt actors. It's important to have the right fit.

Looking forward to seeing more progress! I was going to attempt these myself but I am excited to see what you guys do! Are you using cow for the main shell or thinner?

Oof, I've now started looking at all the details of this jacket and... they are NOT consistent. Basically each one seems to be custom made to the user, and not just the size. Panel sizing, shape, and placement all move pretty radically. We'll likely have to figure out one "average" shape for the men's and one for the women's cut.

For example, something already discussed partially in the thread, these tabs at the collar, Riker vs LaForge.

View attachment 1693018
Probably has to do with how big a guy Frakes is compared to LeVar.

Oh definitely! When I worked at the leather costume shop here in Vancouver that is how everyone was treated, even stunt actors. It's important to have the right fit.

Looking forward to seeing more progress! I was going to attempt these myself but I am excited to see what you guys do! Are you using cow for the main shell or thinner?
Thinner, nothing I'm seeing looks heavy enough to be cow hide. Probably lambskin, possibly pig.

We can do cowhide, or lambskin, but as far as I understand, they used this kind of texture leather as shown in this jacket back.

Skyfall New Order.png

I always HATE guessing leather type via photos. With lamb, cow and even calf as options. There are also different weights. To me it looks more cow than lamb for sure, but I know the limits of availability. There is also the possibility its lamb AND cow. I'm sure you will find a good leather, looking forward to seeing how these all turn out.

I always HATE guessing leather type via photos. With lamb, cow and even calf as options. There are also different weights. To me it looks more cow than lamb for sure, but I know the limits of availability. There is also the possibility its lamb AND cow. I'm sure you will find a good leather, looking forward to seeing how these all turn out.
I agree the texture looks more like cow. I was just referring to the weight and drape, but it could just be thin.

I agree the texture looks more like cow. I was just referring to the weight and drape, but it could just be thin.
I will say calf is usually as thin as lamb ish but has the texture of cow. But I've also worked with thinner cows. Here is an image of the Spartan Jacket from Arrow I worked on, its got some similar feels. Its a mix of cow, the laser etched is a very thin cow etc.

26828993_10155290289523364_595704161_o.jpg

I'm sure, sheepskin leather used in this jacket.
But, Riker jacket made on cowhide leather, because his jacket leather have cow texture. Usually we use calf leather in bags and shoes.
I imagine it’s a challenge to balance look and fit with durability. My favorite leather jacket was such a thin leather that it did not survive the velociraptor phase of puppyhood when leaping at my arms with mouth wide open was a daily thing.

Like what I'm seeing so far. Not a big fan of smooth leathers and prefer something with a bit of grain. Goatskin, perhaps? The red would be my choice ... Command of course, but for me red is harder to pull off, while that stealthy dark blue is turning my head as a jacket that can be worn daily. Choices choices. Until then, I will wait for orders to go live.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back