Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Pre-release) (Spoilers)

"Why wouldn't Kylo address her directly?"

Easy.

In universe- because he wondered how much she might remember... if ANYTHING?

For audience sake- to keep it a suprize for episode 8.

And 1 thing I didn't like in the movie at first was his twisting of ones mind... Something were yet to see...

Just like the blaster bolt... Kylo has some interesting abilities. He's young and unwieldy... But special.

He TRIED to wipe the mind of someone who was equal to or greater than his own power. A Yin to a Yang.

Last edited:
This has been going around a while now. I don't think the flashback is supportive of the theory though and I very much am inclined to think Rey is not a Skywalker.

Don't drop that mic just yet.... just because the actress is eight, it doesn't necessarily follow that the character is the same age. Actors play different ages constantly.

Look for better evidence.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't believe she's a Skywalker, either. I guess we'll see when we see.

I'd be fine with her just being extremely Force sensitive and special...but not necessarily related to one of the principals. Needing to have "Force Genes" is too akin to Midichlorians in my book. It's not a deal breaker if that's what it turns out to be, but it ssems that the Force *should* be able to anoint whomever it likes as well.

I knew that was coming! ;) and you're right!

But I'm just saying most think she was very young... Too young for the theory to work...

I'm merely pointin out that it is possible.

I'm sorry, but this is the only theory that has connected the dots for me.

I'm just saying that it is beyond plausible. And I love it if true.

Watch the video. I'm not claiming that this guy has any inside information or credibility. All I know is that it hits home in my heart and mind and makes sense of the randomness that people are complaining about.

Don't drop that mic just yet.... just because the actress is eight, it doesn't necessarily follow that the character is the same age. Actors play different ages constantly.

Look for better evidence.

I knew that was coming! ;) and you're right!

But I'm just saying most think she was very young... Too young for the theory to work...

I'm merely pointin out that it is possible.

I'm sorry, but this is the only theory that has connected the dots for me.

I'm just saying that it is beyond plausible. And I love it if true.

Watch the video. I'm not claiming that this guy has any inside information or credibility. All I know is that it hits home in my heart and mind and makes sense of the randomness that people are complaining about.

As far as her having been left on Jakku by Kylo... I can hang with you there. I'm not sure about the Skywalker connection, but I do like the idea that Kylo spared her because he couldn't bring himself to kill her and hid the fact from Snoke to appear strong.

Kylo leaving her would make more sense than any of our heroes doing it. It's just too mean of a place for anyone else to have done it. Even if Kylo cared about her, its more plausible that he could do that than say, Luke or her own mother.

Why would he spare his cousin, I mean... The random girl?

It explains "the light again". That Kylo experienced.

It explains what he was saying to Han.

It explains why luke just flat out gave up.

It explains the look on Lukes face! (Do you really think that shot was only about seeing his old saber hilt?)

MY guess is that he was in seclusion meditating to stop hearing her voice. Feeling he was haunted by it.... When he sees her again he realizes the truth and...

The force re-awakens in him.

She's not a Kenobi, OR a random nobody.

Search your feelings... You know it be true...

Embrace it.

The entire 9 movies are about the Skywalker lineage.

I know... It's a stretch right? No. Wait... It's flat out common sense.

Kathleen Kennedy said so 2 years ago.

I love the theory.

As far as her having been left on Jakku by Kylo... I can hang with you there. I'm not sure about the Skywalker connection, but I do like the idea that Kylo spared her because he couldn't bring himself to kill her and hid the fact from Snoke to appear strong.

Maybe. I still can't see that someone who easily killed his own dad would think twice about killing his cousin. Yeah it's a kid, but if you're that far gone down the Dark Side path, it wouldn't matter. Anakin had no problem taking out little kids, some of whom he knew (based on the kid addressing him as Master Skywalker - I think he says Master?).

This would be a decade or so before TFA... He was still fighting conflict and "the light".

He forced himself to do what he couldn't do before.

I can't help but see this as the missing puzzle piece to the movie.

No matter what the other details turn out to be...

Kylo left Rey on Jakku.

Seems the only option in which Luke isn't just gutless...

He thinks he failed at saving someone close to him.

Hard to unsee now...

Maybe. I still can't see that someone who easily killed his own dad would think twice about killing his cousin. Yeah it's a kid, but if you're that far gone down the Dark Side path, it wouldn't matter. Anakin had no problem taking out little kids, some of whom he knew (based on the kid addressing him as Master Skywalker - I think he says Master?).

For the record I initially wanted to explain the Leia/Chewbacca dis as Chewie being angry at Leia. On subsequent viewing that argument doesn't hold up. If it was really about Chewie's anger it doesn't explain why Leia doesn't even bother to glance at him. It's a plot oversight.

For the record I initially wanted to explain the Leia/Chewbacca dis as Chewie being angry at Leia. On subsequent viewing that argument doesn't hold up. If it was really about Chewie's anger it doesn't explain why Leia doesn't even bother to glance at him. It's a plot oversight.

Yeah, I thought Chewbacca was ashamed that he let Leia down by "letting" Han get killed but she does not even glance at him. Kind of a weird thing to miss.

I still don't think Rey is a Skywalker. No way Han or especially Leia does not recognize her.

More likely simply an editing choice.

In the context of the saga, it makes sense that Rey would be a Skywalker. I just think it shouldn't turn out like that. I mean, sure it's pure fiction, but why should the entire galaxy's fate rest on this one dysfunctional family?

It doesn't center around the family. It centers around Vader.

The family keeps getting pulled in to clean up the damage that he continues to cause even after death...

No Vader=no need for Luke to become a Jedi. He would've died an old moisture farmer. Not only that, but the Jedi temple might still be in full swing... So even if luke was found and trained... He wouldn't have had a Kid...

Han and Leia would've never met so either way no Kylo.

The Skywalkers aren't just randomly pulled in for name sake as stars for the movie.... In universe they are flat out cursed.

Yes. Because of Vader, the Skywalker family is continually pulled in to the Fray. Constantly trying to fix their father's (now grandfather) mistakes.

Rey will absolutely try to turn Kylo. So will Luke.

We all know this is where it's going.

Let go of your conflict.

In the context of the saga, it makes sense that Rey would be a Skywalker. I just think it shouldn't turn out like that. I mean, sure it's pure fiction, but why should the entire galaxy's fate rest on this one dysfunctional family?

Rey will absolutely try to turn Kylo. So will Luke.

We all know this is where it's going.

Let go of your conflict.

I don't disagree... I absolutely believe that is where it's going.

but I still don't think that Rey has to be a Skywalker to make that happen. We have THE Skywalker in the movie (Luke). Rey may just be someone that the Force has chosen to fufill it's purpose: to counter Kylo.

It's an interesting theory, but it's missing 2 factors: their age difference is not that much so assuming Kylo is the man in the mask we see in the flashback he'd have to be in his late teens. Saying he is 18 would put Rey around 8 years old at the time of the flashbacks, which would leave her old enough to have a recollection of the events that took place. If you want to go with the memory wipe scenario then Kylo would not only have to wipe her memory, but either leave her with some of those memories or replace her memories, because she makes comments during the movie that suggests she remembers her parents.

Also it doesn't make sense, in my mind, in relation to the interrogation scene. Why wouldn't Kylo address her directly? Or use some of her past as leverage against her? They hinted in the movie that Kylo might know her, but I'm still not completely sold on that. He never acts like he knows her when they come in contact throughout the film.

I still have no idea what her lineage is, but I still lean towards her being a Kenobi because I think it would make the most sense in relation to the events in TFA.

Hell, make her 5 and Ren 15 - it's 30 years between 6 and 7 and 2 years or so between 5 and 6 - had she witnessed anything in ESB, even at age 5, she'd be 37 in TFA and Ren would be 47. Unless they want to somehow toss in the fact that were someone in stasis for 15 years in there for whatever reason...

- - - Updated - - -

I don't disagree... I absolutely believe that is where it's going.

but I still don't think that Rey has to be a Skywalker to make that happen. We have THE Skywalker in the movie (Luke). Rey may just be someone that the Force has chosen to fufill it's purpose: to counter Kylo.

Interesting theory - who's to even say then that Rey was always force sensitive? If it's the force countering Kylo, perhaps it simply found her worthy or in the right place at the right time and manifested itself later in life?

Hell, make her 5 and Ren 15 - it's 30 years between 6 and 7 and 2 years or so between 5 and 6 - had she witnessed anything in ESB, even at age 5, she'd be 37 in TFA and Ren would be 47. Unless they want to somehow toss in the fact that were someone in stasis for 15 years in there for whatever reason...

- - - Updated - - -

Interesting theory - who's to even say then that Rey was always force sensitive? If it's the force countering Kylo, perhaps it simply found her worthy or in the right place at the right time and manifested itself later in life?

I feel like I'm missing something. Where does ESB factor into it?

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back