Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Pre-release)

Well, since you asked...(and it's no secret)

I find the whole "protect me from myself" and don't let any spoilers slip in my presence thing completely ridiculous.

If I don't want to know the score of a football game I missed and just happened to record, but have yet to watch, the last thing I'm gonna do is go to a sports forum and then start looking through a thread with my teams name in the title...Now, why would that be?? I dunno...because they're probably talking about **** I haven't seen yet??

This of course has nothing to do with you but is more a social commentary on this incessant need for people to be protected from themselves...

Not my thing. Something I loathe and I've never been shy about giving my opinion. You've apparently just missed it. We simply differ on this topic, but I assure you all is well in my world and I thank you for your concern. ;)

But, I'll leave the topic of spoilers for you guys to debate...

-Rylo

You know . . . I was just going to let this go but .. .

I just got the email, sent much earlier today, notifying me that Rylo replied to my post and containing the full text of his original reply (now since edited but, as kristenhenry70 noted, the original reply can still be seen in the edit history). In it, Rylo castigated me for asking a question and requesting that no spoilers be including in any replies, on the rationale that this was now a post-release thread and I was somehow offending his sensibilities by making the "no spoilers" request. Let me explain a few things since they seem to have gone over Rylo's head notwithstanding my clear use of English in my text:

1. I noted that this was a pre-release thread continuing post-release- but it appeared that people were choosing to still avoiding posting spoilers here.

2. Since my question did not necessitate spoilers to answer the question as to how an actor's performance was, I requested that no spoilers be given - not to protect myself, but so that some well-meaning soul did not, in answering my question, post spoilers to a thread that, so far, everyone else seems to still be treating as a "non-spoiler" thread. I did so out of respect to those who haven't seen the film yet and were choosing not to venture into the true "post-release" and "spoiler" threads (each conspicuously marked as such.) In short,I did not want my question to inadvertently lead to a spoiler that would inadvertently affect someone else who wished to remain spoiler-free, as "non-spoiler" seemed to be the general tenor of this thread still.

Rylo - and I say this with all due respect (and a lot of respect is due to you) - I've been on this forum just about as long as you have, and I've followed your posts and prop works all that time with great (again, that word) respect. I'm pretty sure I've been a member of other forums in which you participate as well. Never in that time have I seen you act, well, grumpy toward others, and suddenly I see it two or three times all in one day in this thread. It seems uncharacteristic for you, and I hope all is well with you, sincerely.

Anyhow, back on topic - thanks for the replies about Carrie; I see the film in 9 hours, and will dive into reading all of the TFA threads shortly after.

And sorry for what appeared to be an incomplete post until I completed editing - hit the return key for a paragraph break and it posted the in-progress post.

M

Last edited:
Going back to Carrie, her performance was actually one of the things that surprised me the most. As much of a loose cannon as she is, I wasn't so sure how easily she could slip back into the Leia role or even how well she could act these days but I thought she did a really fine job. She was Leia again.

I'm very happy to see a whole new world of 'no spoilers' popping up everywhere. I was very surprised to see multiple posts, articles stressing no spoilers, and other bits - including memes about not posting spoilers. There are even fake stories popping up about folks being assaulted after yelling spoilers in theater lobbies - with the cops calling this "justifiable." Even though these are fake stories, the moral is clear.

If you need to hide behind a rationality of not liking people having to protect themselves from spoilers to justify being a dick - well, that's your issue, not theirs.

Remember that photograph of the First Order on parade that so wowed people a couple of months ago? And they were curious to know what those things that looked like Walkers actually were? I think this will help:

2015_1219waxwings0012.jpg

From "The Art of Star Wars : The Force Awakens" .

I'm not reading this thread, but after leaving it to remain spoiler free over a year ago... I still am! I have been forbidden to see this movie until Christmas Day, all I can say to you folks that have seen it already...Bastards! ;) I'll be back to praise or tear it apart on Boxing Day. :cool

Going back to Carrie, her performance was actually one of the things that surprised me the most. As much of a loose cannon as she is, I wasn't so sure how easily she could slip back into the Leia role or even how well she could act these days but I thought she did a really fine job. She was Leia again.

I felt the other way around... Felt her timing was off (could have been editing), and she sounded odd. Dunno - just didn't work well for me.

Ford on the other hand I think nailed it.

I felt the other way around... Felt her timing was off (could have been editing), and she sounded odd. Dunno - just didn't work well for me.

Ford on the other hand I think nailed it.

Well she does have a bit of a smoker's voice, but it is what it is. Can't be helped now. Still, I thought she did fine. Ford killed it for sure.

Well she does have a bit of a smoker's voice, but it is what it is. Can't be helped now. Still, I thought she did fine. Ford killed it for sure.

And she wasn't horrible by any means. Just seemed she was "out of practice", which I suppose makes sense.

Funny - Ford in Indy 4 I felt was stiff, wooden, and past his prime as an actor. But he just completely fell right inot the role. Suppose I should have seen it coming, but I' still depressed. I feel a bit like I've lost a family member.

Fishers performance is definitely one of my few gripes. I didn't get a Leia vibe off of her at all. She came across as very wooden. Especially the end when they are seeing the falcon depart. She's standing there almost hunchbacked, like she doesn't know what to do with her arms. Seen this on interviews, shes always crossing her arms.

And she wasn't horrible by any means. Just seemed she was "out of practice", which I suppose makes sense.

Funny - Ford in Indy 4 I felt was stiff, wooden, and past his prime as an actor. But he just completely fell right inot the role. Suppose I should have seen it coming, but I' still depressed. I feel a bit like I've lost a family member.

Same here. He was always one of my favorite aspects of SW...

Fishers performance is definitely one of my few gripes. I didn't get a Leia vibe off of her at all. She came across as very wooden. Especially the end when they are seeing the falcon depart. She's standing there almost hunchbacked, like she doesn't know what to do with her arms. Seen this on interviews, shes always crossing her arms.
Part of the problem is that they really didn't give her anything to do. In the previous movies Leia was somehow in the thick of things much of the time. In this one all she does is stand around at the rebel base waiting for someone to walk up and talk to her. :facepalm

I agree, but she was maybe a bit too matronly. I hope she'll be back in Episode VIII, at least.

Yeah, the overall look that they chose for her in that goodbye scene really made her look like interstellar grandma no.1. I could not help but notice that her hair was a bit out of control, not much, but a few strands of hair just going in different directions. Nothing that a few whisps of hairspray could not have fixed, but something that somewhat pulled me out of that scene. I asked myself, why was she dressed like that, all of a sudden? Regal clothes AND time to visit the Reb ... errr Resistance hair stylist in the midst of the end of a battle? Things that make me go hmmm in a movie ...

Funny - Ford in Indy 4 I felt was stiff, wooden, and past his prime as an actor. But he just completely fell right into the role. Suppose I should have seen it coming, but I' m still depressed. I feel a bit like I've lost a family member.

A friend and I were discussing his performance yesterday. I thought Ford was great, he had great scenes and dialog, and I loved it. My friend felt that Ford's best acting was in the past and was phoning it in. Prior to watching I was afraid he WOULD phone it in.
I was hoping that if they gave Ford a really good script he might actually agree to not have Solo killed off. Oh well.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back