Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Pre-release)

I really wanted to love it, but it was just OK.

Not bad, but definitely not a great film.

This one should have been called "attack of the clones" because they cloned just about every memorable scene from the originals.

I can name 10 examples off the top of my head easy. I expect one or two, but they just copied way too much.

I'll post more of what I'm talking about in the spoiler thread, but yeah, expect to see all of your favorite scenes repeated in some fashion. I dunno, maybe that's what this generation of movie goers want these days. Just didn't quite do it for me.

Also felt really choppy. Trying to cram too much action into 2 1/2 hrs and not enough character backstory.

Again, I didn't hate it, It was just ok. And even a good flick in the sense that it was better than the prequels, but nowhere near as good as episodes IV, V and yes, even VI.

Spoken like a true sycophant. Since you're profiling...thought you might like a little armchair analysis, yourself.

Keep in mind that just because someone doesn't approach this film with borderline religious fervor, their opinion can stand without being criticized.

in all seriousness if anyone is unhappy with this movie they must live a very bland boring life.

Last edited:
Also felt really choppy. Trying to cram too much action into 2 1/2 hrs and not enough character backstory.

Well there will be two more films after this... i expect we'll get some of that backstory in the next two. After all they are trying to tie up loose ends from the story so far while at the same time introducing all new characters... so it's bound to seem a bit of a jumble right out of the gate. But as was said before look how much they threw at us in ANH that they didn't explain until later--if at all!

Editing myself in the interest of diplomacy. :facepalm

well this IS the PRE release thread. There is a POST release thread and a SPOLIERS thread for posts which contain details about the film from those who have seen it. So putting the spoilers in here would be out of place. Just sayin.

How does Carrie do in this film?

I admit that has been one of my biggest concerns. It was unsettling enough when Leia went all husky-voiced in ROTJ, but now that Carrie seems to speak entirely through her nose (and has the Penny Marshall way of speaking as if her upper lip is paralyzed), is she jarring in the film or has she managed to tone down those tendencies to evoke Leia from the OT?

Thanks,
M

Carrie's parts were actually some of my favourite moments in the film. Sure she's not sporting our favourite gold bikini anymore, but when you see her, and you hear her interactions with Han, it's as if those 3 decades never happened. She nails Leia 100% (I actually found her almost *more* in-character than Harrison, and that's something!)
She's still sweet but cocky, stern but funny, and her portrayal of a war-weary veteran who's seen her share is just... well, see for yourself I guess.
I absolutely love(d) her.

And even on the heels of an edit you felt compelled to respond...keep up the good work!

well this IS the PRE release thread. There is a POST release thread and a SPOLIERS thread for posts which contain details about the film from those who have seen it. So putting the spoilers in here would be out of place. Just sayin.

Spoken like a true sycophant. Since you're profiling...thought you might like a little armchair analysis, yourself.

Keep in mind that just because someone doesn't approach this film with borderline religious fervor, their opinion can stand without being criticized.

oh dear, I forgot to put an 'lol' at the end of my line. Didn't mean to upset you. This is why I hate writing comments on pages like this. You can't see face value of ones comment whether it be jokingly, serious, facetious, etc. I should have written 'jokingly' instead of 'seriousness'.

This thread is very is getting borderline dangerous .. I seriously would never come back here if you don't want to be spoiled!!! Way too much talk about everything .. I, for one, had been out of here for the past 5-6 weeks to be sure that I wouldn't hear anything .. and now that I read what people have to say .. well, let me tell you that I'd be scared as hell to read anything ..

.. let alone type anything star wars, force awakens or tfa in google!!! I just did and god, people really did write the whole thing in there.

Just don't! No, seriously .. don't! :)

And even on the heels of an edit you felt compelled to respond...keep up the good work!

Don't forget that people can see the edit history. If you don't want to own it, don't say it. besides, no reason to get torqued off... i didn't make an offensive post.

Unless, of course you WANTED to get torqued off.

This thread is very is getting borderline dangerous .. I seriously would never come back here if you don't want to be spoiled!!! Way too much talk about everything .. I, for one, had been out of here for the past 5-6 weeks to be sure that I wouldn't hear anything .. and now that I read what people have to say .. well, let me tell you that I'd be scared as hell to read anything ..

.. let alone type anything star wars, force awakens or tfa in google!!! I just did and god, people really did write the whole thing in there.

Just don't! No, seriously .. don't! :)
Agreed. That's why I stopped following it about a month ago. It went from the non-spoiler thread to the minor spoiler thread. And then the final 3 days I just removed myself from socal media.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I've even avoided this thread for the last few days.

But I think someone on facebook just spoiled something huge. Just to be a jerk. They had a huge info graphic to spoil the end.

I'm so bummed.

I just needed to vent. And I didn't know where else to do it.

I'm seeing the film at 9 am tomorrow

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

I've even avoided this thread for the last few days.

But I think someone on facebook just spoiled something huge. Just to be a jerk. They had a huge info graphic to spoil the end.

I'm so bummed.

I just needed to vent. And I didn't know where else to do it.

I'm seeing the film at 9 am tomorrow

Ugh! It was bound to happen and you should have expected it. If you want to avoid any spoilers for anything, you are best to just avoid all social media, emails and forums. Someone will always spoil things.

Ugh! It was bound to happen and you should have expected it. If you want to avoid any spoilers for anything, you are best to just avoid all social media, emails and forums. Someone will always spoil things.
You know what? I was amazed that no one I know was talking about it. They were incredibly respectful.

But a guy I know commented on someone else's post. And that made it's way on to my feed.

But I'm really pissed.

Editing myself in the interest of diplomacy. :facepalm

You know . . . I was just going to let this go but .. .

I just got the email, sent much earlier today, notifying me that Rylo replied to my post and containing the full text of his original reply (now since edited but, as kristenhenry70 noted, the original reply can still be seen in the edit history). In it, Rylo castigated me for asking a question and requesting that no spoilers be including in any replies, on the rationale that this was now a post-release thread and I was somehow offending his sensibilities by making the "no spoilers" request. Let me explain a few things since they seem to have gone over Rylo's head notwithstanding my clear use of English in my text:

1. I noted that this was a pre-release thread continuing post-release- but it appeared that people were choosing to still avoiding posting spoilers here.

2. Since my question did not necessitate spoilers to answer the question as to how an actor's performance was, I requested that no spoilers be given - not to protect myself, but so that some well-meaning soul did not, in answering my question, post spoilers to a thread that, so far, everyone else seems to still be treating as a "non-spoiler" thread. I did so out of respect to those who haven't seen the film yet and were choosing not to venture into the true "post-release" and "spoiler" threads (each conspicuously marked as such.) In short,I did not want my question to inadvertently lead to a spoiler that would inadvertently affect someone else who wished to remain spoiler-free, as "non-spoiler" seemed to be the general tenor of this thread still.

Rylo - and I say this with all due respect (and a lot of respect is due to you) - I've been on this forum just about as long as you have, and I've followed your posts and prop works all that time with great (again, that word) respect. I'm pretty sure I've been a member of other forums in which you participate as well. Never in that time have I seen you act, well, grumpy toward others, and suddenly I see it two or three times all in one day in this thread. It seems uncharacteristic for you, and I hope all is well with you, sincerely.

Anyhow, back on topic - thanks for the replies about Carrie; I see the film in 9 hours, and will dive into reading all of the TFA threads shortly after.

And sorry for what appeared to be an incomplete post until I completed editing - hit the return key for a paragraph break and it posted the in-progress post.

M

Last edited:
I was supposed to come beg forgiveness (or something like that cant find the original post to quote) after the movie came out but as all have not seen it yet I will be posting reply on the post release or spoiler thread

Last edited:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back