Studio Half Scale TOS Enterprise Scratch build

Status
Not open for further replies.
An observation on cage rotation in the bussards...

The actual speed and direction of spin can be one thing to the eye, but quite another to anything that has a 'frame-rate'. Much like the wheels on a stagecoach, where the spokes will strobe such that they can appear to be spinning backward while actually going forward, the same thing must have happened during the filming of the FX for TOS. I noticed it happening in Steve's video-- it is nearly unavoidable!

Scott

Just caught your latest video Steve and the Big E is ready to win some trophies, and it was nice of you to put the names of your RPF fans or should I say the Peanut Gallery (that probably got on your nerves at times) Lol, on your Video. You are truly an all around good guy who has even lent your knowledge and advice that has helped to motivate me and complete my own build (APC) I haven't seen to many threads here with 5 stars, We salute you!

i hate to derail this thread, but i just noticed that in the credits listing of all the RPF members, Steve referred to me as "MrMcoy"

Look, Steve, I did NOT go to EIGHT LIGHTYEARS of STARFLEET MEDICAL SCHOOL to be called MISTER!

My apologies to the Austin Powers movies where I last heard this joke made by Dr. Evil.

Ok then, seriously...just watched the last video...wish I could say something more insightful and thought provoking than what has already been stated by the other RPFers, but I can't.

So I'll sign off by simply saying that I think this is one of the most brilliant builds of the good ol' starship Enterprise I have ever seen and I have enjoyed reading this thread and watching the videos for the past year, perhaps the most interesting part has been getting to know Steve a bit better.

My best to you, Steve, on all future endeavors...and thanks for sharing.

t

Hey Steve,

Where do I send my resume' and portfolio to be on your restoration team. In the early '90's I was offered a job to build for MGM/Universal Studios in Orlando. Couldn't take it because I was flying jets off of aircraft carriers back then. Now, as an airline pilot, I can fly anywhere you need me for free. ;-)

Tracy

Steve - You are the man! I know its a small thing but listing many of us - myself included - in the credits of your project was EXTREMELY CLASSY! :thumbsup

if you are in the DC ara for the "bigger E story" I will defeintiely look you up... I travel to the DC area a TON - Dinners on me :)

Jedi Dade

Steve - You are the man! I know its a small thing but listing many of us - myself included - in the credits of your project was EXTREMELY CLASSY! :thumbsup

[...]

What he said! :)

It was way kewl to see myself included in your credits. You are a gentleman and a scholar. Thanks for making us all feel a part of this project, my friend.

Even though this particular chapter in your TOS project(s) has come to an end, I eagerly look forward to your future video series showing the green screen and CG work.

But first, get started on restoring the 11-footer and your Captain's Chair ;)

me too, Steve, thanks a lot. Saw new pics of the TOS 1/350 updates. Cool thing, but was thinking something was amiss - and then I realized it was the size. A big model shoots differently - perspective is just different - you can see it's big right away without having to manipulate the way you shoot. I'm excited about the R2 but that's what I'll miss we got so used to this Big E. oh and good luck with the real Big E. Awesome project!

Cool thing, but was thinking something was amiss - and then I realized it was the size. A big model shoots differently - perspective is just different -
The secret is a wide angle lens. A wide angle lens will make any miniature look much, much bigger. Many wide angle lenses also have a greater depth of field, so you will be able to hold focus at closer shooting distances. The Star Trek cinematographers used wide angle lenses when they filmed the 11-footer . . .

Absolutely amazing!

I've been following this thread since the beginning.
When you powered up the warp drive in the video, it was a little difficult to see. For some reason my eyes got a bit moist and there was a lump in my throat...

Thank you for building it, thank you for showing us how you built it, and thank you for making it exactly the way it should be.

Thanks again guys you are a bunch of great guys and I appreciate you very much.

Tomorrow I hope to post the first video for the new project. The Enterprise project number 1. Here we go again.

Steve

Hard to believe this model is done. although I still have those small numbers to put on the hull. She's been sitting under a clear tarp for a while now. I forgot to put the braces back but no droop or sag so Max really was right about that whole deal. Still I would imagine a lateral support through the nacelles would help in the long run.

I fired her up just to see if everything was good. I was all alone in the shop and it was late. I got quite a rush from seeing it like that. You sort of finish something and move right on to the next thing and never really get a chance to take it all in.

I went sat in the command chair and just looked at it. That 16 year old finally got his way. ;)

I'm still thinking on the next model. I'd like to do some a little more simple but still of good size. A large When Worlds collide ship would be nice.

Steve

Hard to believe this model is done. although I still have those small numbers to put on the hull. She's been sitting under a clear tarp for a while now. I forgot to put the braces back but no droop or sag so Max really was right about that whole deal. Still I would imagine a lateral support through the nacelles would help in the long run.

I fired her up just to see if everything was good. I was all alone in the shop and it was late. I got quite a rush from seeing it like that. You sort of finish something and move right on to the next thing and never really get a chance to take it all in.

I went sat in the command chair and just looked at it. That 16 year old finally got his way. ;)

I'm still thinking on the next model. I'd like to do some a little more simple but still of good size. A large When Worlds collide ship would be nice.

Steve
A large scale Klingon ship would be nice :love. Lol.

Steve

I remember seeing some very impressive shots of that ship taken on set, I think they were press images. I liked the under construction ship better than the finished ship it gave it a really nice sense of how large it was.

Steve are you checking that no condensation is collecting under the tarp you have on the Enterprise?
John.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back