"studio scale desanto viper"

Mike, I've found if you're not going to pressure cast and going to do a gravity pour use the slowest setting resin you can get. Smoothcast 310 from Smoothon is a good choice, it has a 2 to 4 hour demold time, and it's nearly water thin so it'll get into all the little detail area's with no problem. Since it takes so long to set up there's plenty of time for the bubbles to escape.

Ryan,
I think you and may others have been patient. You had recourse unlike some others. You could of used EBay to resolve the matter.
It's a sad day when ones abrasive and just short fused attitude gets in the way so much that you just insult everyone. I read in his post that he communicated with all but I read things from you and JPO5 and many others and see this isn't the truth. His girlfriend is a trooper. She puts up with his mayhem and just destructive out bursts and still stands behind him. She deserves a Nobel for her part in damage control.
But you need to face it, when you are dealing with that kind of mind set you just can't win.
Mike, you have talent but you need to have the maturity and calm to deal with your public. These people are going to make you or break you. It would seem with your constant attacks, buck passing, and just bad communication skills you are steadily becoming a ledged in your own mind. Its a shame to.You could of had a lot of help from people on the board, and you have had some help from some good people and even then, you attacked them as well. My advice, and I know you will just ignore it as you have said you would, but get this project done , take time off and stay off the boards. Refine your new found interest and skills. Get a shop of some kind set up. Practice making molds and casting. Use different techniques to find the one that suites your needs and style. Then, complete you next project, cast of say 10 copies, sell them and ship them right away and then cast up some more and then offer those. Don't take advancements on pay. You may not like this either but I suggest you don't take on a partner. Your mind set and harsh ways would destroy that partnership and cause more of a problem.

You may take this the wrong way, so be it. I am who I am and I work in a different reality then you do.
I am just giving you some advice.

Mark

Spoke to Milke yesterday..............

Despite being abducted by aliens....his gnome workforce going on stike....all is well..

I kid. I kid I kid .... :)

Seriously. He is working his pony tail off getting it all packed up. More kits to ship this weekend ..

Well Monday or Tuesday.

Please post when you get your kit ..

Steve

PS Please keep those of us who cannot view Colonial Fleets updates of any build pics.

Latest post from Mike over at the Fleets.
Hope this helps out.

"I'll be posting a list of all the vipers that have shipped and what is about to be shipped int he next day or so. As soon as we have time to go through everything, and Terri asnd I are not so swamped with regular work and home repair guys. I don't have time post more detail now as I'm on a tight schedule, with things to get molded, painted, and shipped, this means your vipers also. So the less I talk here the better I can concentrate. Leave me alone. Nicely said of course."

<div class='quotetop'>(BlueSquad2001 @ Jun 2 2006, 12:35 PM) [snapback]1254954[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>
According to his Colonial Fleets posts and requests from Michael,.. looks like Gordon is waiting on the Canopy molds from Michael. I think Michael may have been briefly side-tracked away from the Viper Canopy in doing a Cylon Raider with a guest that is staying with him at Terri's home named Jim (Dilbertman off Colonial Fleets). He was working on lighting (via fiber) the cylon eyes in the Raider when I called him. While that sounds really kewl, I think it has definitely side-tracked him. With Gordon ready to go,.. I believe it is just a matter of keeping Michael focused on a single project (which is hard for most artists to do :) ). Lets hope that Raider gets done quickly so that the Canopy may be addressed. I will give Michael a call today to see where that Canopy sits.[/b]

Dilbertman's visit here has nothing to do with the canopy mold getting to Gordon. It will be sent today. And although I've set myself up for a few disappointments with this project, and probably have disappointed a few of my friends and customers, I really am trying to give the best product available. I just would not settle on sending out a kit that was not molded the best that it could be, and if I had problems with casting some parts, I seek help from others that are more pro in getting them done right. And in turn getting you all a better viper.
After my best friend passed away suddenly, it threw me into an emotional abyss, that I feel I have not near recovered from and am having trouble concentrating on my life and business, but I am still working on these things and trying to get back into full swing, but it is difficult, I won't lie.
[/b][/quote]
Boy, that's me. You know I know Mike and you still let me in. THANKS.

Jim :p

Hello all.

I am back for a quickie and promised heads up...

I just got back home from another abroad trip and found two nicely packed USPS boxes waiting for me from Michael and Terri. Inside the boxes were 3 of the 4 DeSanto Viper kits I had on order. The fourth is being built-up by Michael himself as a paint master for all to see in the future,.. from what I understand.

Aside from no pilots being in the boxes,.. and one missing seat, they arrived well. I can see they will need some decent attention to make museum quality (due to the air bubbles in fast setting resin) and I will have the builder I am commissioning do the write-up on that. I am just not qualified enough to comment intelligently on this type of thing.

Bottom line,.. it's been a long wait and now I can say that Michael successfully delivered the product. As far as my impression of the kit,.. I have seen much worse than this first kit of Michaels and trust that his knowledge of casting is probably what I see as being the hold up. This coming from me ( a person who has never casted), but has seen many quality and poor castings in my purchasing... LOL. The shape looks good and sleek. Just bubbly. lol. And,..some of the lines may need rescribing.

Let's see what the builder does with them.. ;)

Thanks to Michael and Terri for delivery and the kewl kits.

on another note...

...Looks like everyone is playing nicely. LOL.. aside from that CGI thing.

Anyway,.. there ya have it.. 3 have been delievered to me... so whoever else ordered is probably next.

I am looking forward to seeing what Michael does with my Fourth. ;)

Not that I am missed...lol,.. but I still read and will chime in from time to time. Too much good stuff to miss. :D

Be Well All.

<div class='quotetop'>(Dakota in the sky @ Nov 17 2006, 06:23 AM) [snapback]1359573[/snapback]</div>
I'll be glad to get mine. Hopefully it'll be soon.

Thanks
[/b]

Amen to that, it's only been............ a year.
Cheers, Chris

I've stated to Mike that the wait for this kit has been way to long and that I would like a refund if the kit doesn't ship immediately.
His response is as follows.
Let's see what happens.

Hey Barry.
Been real busy, I mean completely buried in work. I work out of my home studio so alot goes on all the time.
Too much actually.
All vipers will be shipped by the 23rd this month. I have'nt been to the Fleets alot because unexpected things with work keeps popping up.
Sorry Barry, just busy but all will get theirs soon. Your Friend,
Mike

Well today is the 23, lets see what happens.
If Mike holds to his word, some of you should see kits shortly.
I'm not holding my breath because I live in Canada.
Canada Post will take its sweet old time with anything international.

The thread over at the fleets has been locked due to people asking about their kits.
If any of you guys gets yours next week can you please post so that I know they have been shipped?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BarryZ28 @ Nov 21 2006, 05:28 PM) [snapback]1363005[/snapback]</div>
I've stated to Mike that the wait for this kit has been way to long and that I would like a refund if the kit doesn't ship immediately.
Let's see what happens.

Hey Barry.
Been real busy, I mean completely buried in work. I work out of my home studio so alot goes on all the time.
Too much actually.
All vipers will be shipped by the 23rd this month. I have'nt been to the Fleets alot because unexpected things with work keeps popping up.
Mike

[/b]

I am hoping he meant the 24th...as post offices are closed for Thanksgiving here in the U.S.

I downloaded the zip file to take a look.
OH MAN...
I'm not very impressed at all.
Look at all those small bubbles, I'm going to have to re-skin the whole thing.
:cry
:cry

I would suggest that for the tiny pinholes that you'd try Bondo Glazing Putty and then wet sand the affected areas. You may have to do this several times until you get a smooth surface. After that process I'd use a good automotive primer, give it a light dusting followed by more wet sanding, repeat as needed until smooth and then one final primer coat. That should do the trick for the pinholes. The much larger voids will have to be resculpted with two part epoxy putty. I like to use this product from Aves.

One thing you can't buy though will be patients and it looks like one will need that.

Yep, LOTS of patience. I primed mine, and found even more pinholes pop out. Bad part is, most of the details are the same, bubble-rama, and will need to be filled losing most if not all of the greeblies resolution. Makes me want to knock off the details, and fill as suggested, recontour everything and then re-add details that *I* like and fit. A lot of work for a kit . . . all why its in my "someday" pile of boxes now, just don't want to deal with it. I even re-primed some areas that were worse and free of details with the super heavy scratch filling primer, and I am LOATHE to see what appears when I start to sand again. And I am getting some bled through on some of the larger parts where it looks like the resin isn't fully cured up, looks like a bad mix or old/hunidity exposed resin was used. I "baked" them a bit and that fixed it, luckily it was on the
larger engine pieces and where there was no details (based on the pour sprues, near the "top" of the mold), and a good chuck of the "bad" was sanded off with the sprue.

A shame really, so much work obviously went into the master, yet the casting . . . ruins it. Almost utterly.

As much as I wanted this kit, I fear it will be resigned to sitting on that shelf in my workshop for a looooong time. Anyone want one? Call mine for sale . . .

Ryan

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mycroft Holmes @ Nov 3 2006, 09:25 AM) [snapback]1349972[/snapback]</div>
Ryan,
I think you and may others have been patient. You had recourse unlike some others. You could of used EBay to resolve the matter.
It's a sad day when ones abrasive and just short fused attitude gets in the way so much that you just insult everyone. I read in his post that he communicated with all but I read things from you and JPO5 and many others and see this isn't the truth. His girlfriend is a trooper. She puts up with his mayhem and just destructive out bursts and still stands behind him. She deserves a Nobel for her part in damage control.
But you need to face it, when you are dealing with that kind of mind set you just can't win.
Mike, you have talent but you need to have the maturity and calm to deal with your public. These people are going to make you or break you. It would seem with your constant attacks, buck passing, and just bad communication skills you are steadily becoming a ledged in your own mind. Its a shame to.You could of had a lot of help from people on the board, and you have had some help from some good people and even then, you attacked them as well. My advice, and I know you will just ignore it as you have said you would, but get this project done , take time off and stay off the boards. Refine your new found interest and skills. Get a shop of some kind set up. Practice making molds and casting. Use different techniques to find the one that suites your needs and style. Then, complete you next project, cast of say 10 copies, sell them and ship them right away and then cast up some more and then offer those. Don't take advancements on pay. You may not like this either but I suggest you don't take on a partner. Your mind set and harsh ways would destroy that partnership and cause more of a problem.

You may take this the wrong way, so be it. I am who I am and I work in a different reality then you do.
I am just giving you some advice.

Mark
[/b]
Mark Dickson.
I just have to say, where are you coming from with this? It was not needed. You bring up and place a spotlight on trouble where there is none. And do not discuss my lady, you do not have a clue as to what you are talking about. She is aware of who you are, and although she does not have the same temperament that drives me, it does not mean she does not feel the same way. She wants me to handle things more peacefully, but understands where I am coming from.
I remain friends with all that have helped me, and Cobywan though we had our disagreements, and Gordon also, words were in anger or whatever but I have nothing but respect and admiration as well as friendship for both of them. Great guys.
Now about you, and the silly idea that you feel you have a right to critisize me, is like the pot calling the kettle "black". I have e-mail after e-mail of complaints about you, and warnings so do not give me a speech about how to act, or what I'm doing wrong. Take care of your problems, I'll handle mine.
I know where I am wrong and have been mature enough to approach the person on the boards and apologize for my insulting childishness. I still apologize for past outbursts and mean that. Whether they are accepted or not, is not the issue. The fact that I felt I owed them an apology is what is important.
I'm late, and it's my problem. The models have recieved good and bad reviews. More good than bad though. Thank you to all that have nice things to say. And to those that do not. :lol
By the way, why have many members on this and other boards given you the nickname of (tricky-dicky)
Nevermind, I don't want to know. Although I already do.
:D

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JP05 @ Nov 23 2006, 01:37 PM) [snapback]1364383[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BarryZ28 @ Nov 21 2006, 05:28 PM) [snapback]1363005[/snapback]
Let's see what happens.

Hey Barry.
Too much actually.
Mike

[/b]

I am hoping he meant the 24th...as post offices are closed for Thanksgiving here in the U.S.
[/b][/quote]
All WILL be shipped actually on the Mon when Terri gets back form her Holiday and kids weekend.
All problems resolved and will be shipped Monday. Everyone will be e-mailed an insurance number for their kit.
Ooops..and yeah, I don't do Holidays much so I had forgotten about Thurs being Thanksgiving. DAMN. Sorry. ;)

Tricky Dicky? That's a new one on me. Don't know what I've done. I know I didn't take money to do a kit and deliver the low quality kit you have with all the promises of a killer kit.
And about your "Woman" I praised her for her patience with you.

I don't need to defend myself anymore then this, I have helped and are helping lots of people on this board.
I have been part of many of the kits out now. Some like the SS Cylon Raider were 100% my work.
Do I have some enemies, yeah. Some of them tried to screw me and I made sure they didn't. Have I had deals go bad, sure. I was extending to you lessons learned. You have it in your head your way or the highway. Well, enjoy. It's all about you, not me. Your kit, your delays, your excuses, your outbursts, your name calling, your insults, your attacks, your lack of contact, and now the lack of quatliy in your kit.

Mark

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mycroft Holmes @ Nov 24 2006, 10:19 AM) [snapback]1364804[/snapback]</div>
Tricky Dicky? That's a new one on me. Don't know what I've done. I know I didn't take money to do a kit and deliver the low quality kit you have with all the promises of a killer kit.
And about your "Woman" I praised her for her patience with you.

I don't need to defend myself anymore then this, I have helped and are helping lots of people on this board.
I have been part of many of the kits out now. Some like the SS Cylon Raider were 100% my work.
Do I have some enemies, yeah. Some of them tried to screw me and I made sure they didn't. Have I had deals go bad, sure. I was extending to you lessons learned. You have it in your head your way or the highway. Well, enjoy. It's all about you, not me. Your kit, your delays, your excuses, your outbursts, your name calling, your insults, your attacks, your lack of contact, and now the lack of quatliy in your kit.

Mark
[/b]
Again, you know nothing of my girlfriend or of what you are talking about. Saying things like "patience with me?" You do not know what you are talking about. Please, leave my relationship out of this.
You should really know better than to just jump in here and start swinging away. Attempting to mask your insults and know it all attitude like you're giving me some "friendly-advice." Anyone reading this can tell that you're just starting trouble, which is yet another thing you are known for. Wish Rob @ sci-fi models could chime in here.
And these people that tried to "screw" you? Maybe they see it the other way. As I have found that they have had, and continue to have problems with you. And coming to attack me, when you think the opportunity is good, is poor judgement on your part.
And the kit I have been sending is great. Yeah there are some air bubbles, no problem. Even the stuff that I've seen you work on would require six pounds of bondo and filler glue to correct.
If you're a cheesy model builder, it will present problems. If you know what you are doing, no problem. Like all things, a guitar can be a piece of plywood crap, but I can tune it and make it sing. Got it?.
I'm not worried about what you or any other negative member says is low quality, that's their problem. Not my concern. I have more sales still coming, and more praises of a good kit than not. And come to think of it only 1 person really has a problem with it. So don't hand me your whiney attitude. Take it else where. I don't like you and that's that. And I could care less about what you feel about me. No need to insult, attack, or whatever. I just don't care what you think. And no one here will make or break me period.
There are people the world over asking for this and they do not even know that this forum exists. And could care less. This forum is not the majority of the Galactica fan base. It is a few handfuls of model enthusiasts so I'm not hurting. So what's your problem bud? I'll keep making models and sculpts and art and whatever I wish, for as long as I wish and keep selling.
You just keep giving friendly advice, but let some other sucker take it, and listen to it.
Don't address me anymore, I will not acknowledge you.

All remaining Viper orders will be sent Monday. Thanks for the talk Steve.
See I can be "nice".

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back