Studio scale Probe droid, ID and build!

Thanks Lee!

You're right, I remembered just now that the Half Track in the combo kit contains the same sprues as the Demag and the 10/4. And now that my memory is coming back...lol...I personally didn't see anything for any SS model in the Half Track. Hope this helps!

Joe

I'm almost embarrassed to ask but this has got me perplexed so I have to ask. Is the lamp LF-8 ? I don't see the beveled bottom edge, Looks level to me.

After yet more tweaking of the paint job on this model (another misting of neutral grey), i thought id play around with using Microballoons for the snow/dust effect.
Why i didnt use them sooner i dont know, its no secret its what ILM used, and i wasted so much time with that Delux materials junk.
Microballoons are just awesome for the job, especially, seeing as i just wanted that lightly dusted look as per the Chronicles filming shots.
Just a tip guys, use a good scatter grip glue, and Microballoons, the effect is rather satisfying and scale.

lee
SAM_0146.jpg

SAM_0147.jpg

All in one place while Christmas takes over the living room.
SAM_0150.jpg

New modelling area.......be nice to get back in here over the holidays, thats for sure.
SAM_0151.jpg

Love your PD Lee,you and Guy did a great job and sharing on this thread,really appreciated.
Honestly,without you and Guy's sharing,I'll never confident to tackle this naughty boy:)

Re: microballoons.
Are you only dusting the PD, or providing a snowy base? If base, I recommend making snow clots (like a mud clot). Add water down elementary glue and make a slurry with the MB and let a pile cure on a flat surface. When dry, break pieces off (it's kind of between chalky gypsum and a snow cone). Creates nice chunks. Practice some trial runs - takes a few times to figure the right consistence.

Re: microballoons.
Are you only dusting the PD, or providing a snowy base? If base, I recommend making snow clots (like a mud clot). Add water down elementary glue and make a slurry with the MB and let a pile cure on a flat surface. When dry, break pieces off (it's kind of between chalky gypsum and a snow cone). Creates nice chunks. Practice some trial runs - takes a few times to figure the right consistence.

Just dusting it Q, but, obviously i have to lock that dust down some, not looking for a scale dio or base, but ive seen it used on bases with amazing effect, lots of drifts and clumps, really cool stuff.

lee

Love your PD Lee,you and Guy did a great job and sharing on this thread,really appreciated.
Honestly,without you and Guy's sharing,I'll never confident to tackle this naughty boy:)

Your too kind bud, but its nice to know there are those out there, that know how it is in the world.
Building up now to some major work, so with the advent of 2013, ive some cool stuff to be working on.....should be a good year.

lee

Hate to sound like I'm pimping microballoons, but it's great stuff. You were talking about drifts -- if you give the surface of (dry) MB a soft waft of a breeze, you'll witness it performs exactly like dry snow -- like when a light snow is blowing softly across a bare street and you get these sinuous snakey lines of snow. Would love to freezeframe that with some kind of adhesive. Beautiful looking stuff.

No Q i agree, i know we DONT agree on everything, but one thing is for sure, you can pimp the hell out of these MB's as they really are amazing, the "flow" and viscosity, if that is even a corrent term for a non liquid lol is perfect.
Those ILM'ers weren't too bad at what they did back then eh? :lol.

I know my next project TESB wise will do well from using these......ION cannon on a micro balloon base....pretty much akin to the posted pic of Fulmer working......just on a less grand scale.

lee

It is my opinion that the light dusting we see in photos of the original model is just that--dust. They were taken after it had been sitting unprotected on an Archive shelf for about 10 years...those were the days before they took better care of the Archive.

But you've done a great job of replicating it! :thumbsup

Its a good point Jay, but IMO incorrect buddy, the Chronicles pics are pretty much as the model was first built and filmed to my eye, much has been changed as it is today, the brown hue, cracked head, and missing parts and new sixth false leg, but id still say in the publication, thats the remnants of micro balloons on the model.

lee

You maybe right, you couldn't brush or shake it all off, there would always be a thin layer on there stuck to the surface.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back