Studio Scale Tyrell Pyramid

Yep, that Sushi Bar was built, mainly, by Bill George. Also, for scale in that "miniature Tyrell tower", you have to look at the studio scale XWing in the background to gage the size of that mock-up. Bill had a tendency to reproduce SW model on his "spare" time.
As you know; his MF repro is appearing in the Blade Runner city buildings.

I have been away from this project for a few weeks because I got commissioned to build some architectural models for a proposed building and how much easier it is than building movie Studio Scale models .
So back to this again.
About this time last year, I put together a prototype for one of the buttresses in order to address all the unforeseen issues with construction and because in the virtual reality world of 3d software, glue/ adhesives and fixings don’t matter.
I have had a major issue with the brass etch on the sides and on the small wedge area. You might remember that I concluded that etch was originally glued directly onto the acrylic surface and painted , with the light opes scrapped later. Because I wasn’t following this method directly and because I had printed the light patterns to be attached on a seperate layer beneath the etch, I have the problem of painting the etch without covering/ marring the light pattern beneath.
So this problem got left to the side and every so often over the months, I would look for a solution, ask a number of people - with no answer. I finally resolved it - by making an underframe of very thin brass strips ( 1.2mm wide) and carefully gluing it to the underside of the etch- this keeps the etch thin ( without noticing),flat and sturdy so it can be painted seperately and then attached to buttress surface. Another problem solved finally.
FF7D2AA6-1101-4AA3-8F19-686CA8EEC2D6.jpeg
0AB4E624-28A1-44EC-8979-104039E16728.jpeg

I also wanted to show some images of the test I had done last year regarding the framework for the buttresses and how they fit to the overall measurements of the central part of the Pyramid. This is the framework model sitting on a 9 x9 foot tabletop base ( Autocad imported to sketchup).
Tyrell Pyamid Buttress frame 12.jpg
Tyrell Pyamid Buttress frame 14.jpg
Tyrell Pyamid Buttress frame 15.jpg

As for the measurements of the table (9X9)...feet?
Joberg,
Scary size, isn’t it. They are the dimensions quoted in Cinefantastique article by Paul Sammon and also from Cinefex 9.
Am not proposing to build in its entire, you’ll have to wait somewhat till the end to see how I want to show it. As a hint, look back to the half scale mock up at the start of the thread.
I know you’re not a fan of Facebook, but quite by chance as a result of a comment/ discussion I had on a Star Trek model, this fellow responded and I briefly got to show him my work.
I can’t tell you how much I revere the man. Am going to enlarge and frame that Image.
6A546F67-9857-4356-9570-158E2B1D1453.jpeg

Last edited:
Collected the first 2 sets of laser cut acrylic frames for the buttresses yesterday. This time ( after 4 previous attempts) they are perfect. Bevels still to be sanded/ routered to some of the parts edges. The rest including the covers will be cut in the next 2 weeks.
84A8B757-99E0-4B15-984D-32E5CE1FFC21.jpeg
3F9EDE9B-2654-445E-A9C2-FD68189A119E.jpeg

The top is designed to be easily removed for access the wiring and leds if they require replacement/ repair.

This is something I also had worked on over the past 2 years - the Buttress in 3d. - autocad model imported to sketchup. It’s a huge file - something my computer struggles with. I abandoned it a couple of times but persevered at it. It’s easier to model certain complex parts in Autocad and finish copying them in sketchup. Still requires a little more work to the roof area and other details. Please note there are some inaccuracies here because of lack of good clear reference - it’s a case of best interpretation for that area.

F387429B-9354-4E01-B3D5-E6601373D4EE.jpeg
EE1A435C-BCE2-4AA8-A195-FB334A7178E3.jpeg
6344A0B8-806A-492B-81BE-FDDA7A0DA2F5.jpeg
EBA3A997-9A21-4257-94FD-235462B5F178.jpeg
A20AB75F-FC93-4E05-ACF9-3958773500D1.jpeg

Last edited:
Searun,
Thank you for the kind words. Yes. It’s an incredibly intricate design I‘m attempting to follow.
Like many of the members here on the forum, I have an interest in the crafts people/ artists who designed and built these models. Most of the work on the original buttresses is the work of Chris Ross. I think Tom Cranham originally set out the basic design of the etch patterns and Chris Ross may also have had a hand in them adding a lot more detail ( my theory). Lighting design by Kris Gregg.
CAD and any 3d software tools are invaluable for this work like this, where complex parts need to be repeated or drawing checked for errors/ problems (which constantly occur).

Last edited:
Added the last little detail to the roof area of this 3d model so I can leave this aside until I might review it again later in the year. There’s an area on the roof between the etch framework that is detailed with a series of tiny lights. Whether these are fibre optics or a clear detail casting made in a similar way to the facade surface detail ( lights scraped into a patterned surface) I don’t know. That can be decided either way later although its very narrow space to try and fibre optic so many lights. I mapped half the lights from a reference image and created a similar pattern, then mirrored it to the full length of the top.
Also added the etch grid into the core of roof, although I think they were turned at an angle to what I have indicated here.

2F5D1C06-7537-403F-895E-564CF10B40E4.jpeg
ACF27C8C-FA0D-44A5-808B-0C235F2D2A40.jpeg

Last edited:
Wow; that thing is extraordinary complex for sure.:cool::cool:(y)(y):notworthy::notworthy: The amount of details not seen on screen (and not for a long time either :()!
I've seen pics of that model and it seems they used a lot of fiber optics...then again; with those huge lights placed inside to light all of those fibers, there was a lot of light bleed...maybe they used that bleed to make the scratched light thingy also:unsure:

Wow; that thing is extraordinary complex for sure……….
Joberg,
So these are the small areas that I still have questions about but I can interpret them well enough now to get these things built. The grilles in the center core I’ m pretty sure about as shown in the image below….
342178CA-2D85-40F9-A0CB-36B4AB7544AA.jpeg

At some future time maybe some other images will be publicly published and they might assist in clarifying the other 2 areas and I can decide to remove/ replace these pieces. But my research on these Buttresses is finished and I can thankfully get on with the build.

I think that printing those wonderful 3-D Autocad buttresses and applying them on a cardboard physical model of the Pyramid would be the solution for having that architectural model in your home ;)

I think that printing those wonderful 3-D Autocad buttresses and applying them on a cardboard physical model of the Pyramid would be the solution for having that architectural model in your home ;)
Yeah. That’s a possibility. And Searun mentioned the artwork potential of the images. …….. so you might be getting the idea of where this build is going. It may not be possible to construct the original in its entire , what I hope to do is form a personal home exhibit showing building of this prop - by which I mean the cad drawings, the 3d models, the half- scale model ( still alive), the Studio Scale patterns and the Buttresses and images of the original artists etc. .

Wow PyramindRep.... you should have worked on the film. extraordinary. It should be in a museum when yr done.
Ajamodels,
Many thanks. ….. I’d have never survived the pressures of the film industry. Here I can take my time.

Its quite a challenging project in terms of deciphering and researching the limited information there is on the model and then building with materials/ adhesives I’m not initially very familiar with but still learning about.
And some of my solutions aren’t “canon” to what was originally done but I hope the final effect will be similar ( although I hope it will never catch on fire).

Finally received the laser cut external covers for the buttresses and other assorted parts, including the etch supports for the framework. The most complicated part is for the Pyramid roof top pattern. I have also other patterns for the main sections of the Pyramid being cut - in this way I know everything fits together accurately.

Now if I can find another 12 hours a day to get through the mountain of work I have facing me…………..
6D7A1253-FFCF-4B0F-B736-B7447E29800A.jpeg

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back