Taweret: Four-toed statue from LOST

You may just want to hold off until watching tommorow night's episode on this one. Tommorow night's ep, is going into the backstory of Jacob, and Smokey, and you will likely see a much better shot of the four toed statue.

Also, rumor is that the statue is NOT Taweret, but rather it is Sobek.
This image is from the Official Lost Magazine and as you can see it is not Tawaret.
70fd20fb1f09f5f12bc6a03726b72016.jpg

The statue we have seen so far, has no distinguishing female features, and looks definitely like Sobek, not Tawaret. Other than the picture above, here's some evidence as to why:

1. Looking at the photo of the model, we see it doesnt have breasts, or any distinguishing female features. It looks pretty masculine, so it is a male God.
2. After checking out Sobek on Wikipedia, I found some very interesting correlations with our friend Jacob who just so happens to live in the statue:
Here's an interesting paragraph:
"Sobek's ambiguous nature led some Egyptians to believe that he was a repairer of evil that had been done, rather than a force for good in itself, for example, going to Duat to restore damage done to the dead as a result of their form of death. He was also said to call on suitable gods and goddesses required for protecting people in situation, effectively having a more distant role, nudging things along, rather than taking an active part."

Repairer of Evil?
Called on those suitable to protect others? (Perhaps touching them, bringing them to the Island?)
Nudging things along? ("Guess it just needed a little push")
Sounds like Jacob to me, not taking an active part in events, just nudging things along towards the proper conclusion.

More intersting stuff:
"He was also shown with an ankh, representing his ability to undo evil and so cure ills."
We saw the statue holding an ankh in LaFleur & The Incident, and Jacob's abuility to cure people has been well documented (Juliet's sister Rachel's cancer,seemingly bringing Locke back from the dead after Cooper pushed him out the window, seen in The Incident flashbacks).

Hopefully this helps:thumbsup

That was some very informative homework you did there, MooCriket, and I truly appreciate it. With the finale of LOST looming (it's tomorrow night), I hadn't intended to begin this project until after the show was over anyhow. Just in case.
Regardless of the actual identity of the statue, I'd still love a copy of the one shown/used in the show. I was checking out all of the amazing paintings and sculptures from the LOST Underground Art Show that took place back in December of 2009 and discovered these resin copies of the statue that were given out to 16 different artist to do with what they wanted - very much like the Vader Project a few years back. Here is an excerpt from the art show's website where, by the way, you can view every piece of art from the show including what the 16 artists did with these statues - many including close-up shots at various angles uncovering some details of the statues I've not yet seen in other pics from around the web.

From http://lostundergroundartshow.blogspot.com/
"16 blank resin LOST statues (approx. 8 inches tall) were created by hand, in an original mold (seen above), and given to each artist to customize in their own style and way. Below are the results. BLANKS ARE NOT AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE."

Man, I wish I knew who had that mold. Anyhow, here's a pic of the blank.
And if the link to the pic doesn't work, I've uploaded the png as an attachment.
Picture1.png

You may just want to hold off until watching tommorow night's episode on this one. Tommorow night's ep, is going into the backstory of Jacob, and Smokey, and you will likely see a much better shot of the four toed statue.

Also, rumor is that the statue is NOT Taweret, but rather it is Sobek.
This image is from the Official Lost Magazine and as you can see it is not Tawaret.
70fd20fb1f09f5f12bc6a03726b72016.jpg

The statue we have seen so far, has no distinguishing female features, and looks definitely like Sobek, not Tawaret. Other than the picture above, here's some evidence as to why:

1. Looking at the photo of the model, we see it doesnt have breasts, or any distinguishing female features. It looks pretty masculine, so it is a male God.
2. After checking out Sobek on Wikipedia, I found some very interesting correlations with our friend Jacob who just so happens to live in the statue:
Here's an interesting paragraph:
"Sobek's ambiguous nature led some Egyptians to believe that he was a repairer of evil that had been done, rather than a force for good in itself, for example, going to Duat to restore damage done to the dead as a result of their form of death. He was also said to call on suitable gods and goddesses required for protecting people in situation, effectively having a more distant role, nudging things along, rather than taking an active part."

Repairer of Evil?
Called on those suitable to protect others? (Perhaps touching them, bringing them to the Island?)
Nudging things along? ("Guess it just needed a little push")
Sounds like Jacob to me, not taking an active part in events, just nudging things along towards the proper conclusion.

More intersting stuff:
"He was also shown with an ankh, representing his ability to undo evil and so cure ills."
We saw the statue holding an ankh in LaFleur & The Incident, and Jacob's abuility to cure people has been well documented (Juliet's sister Rachel's cancer,seemingly bringing Locke back from the dead after Cooper pushed him out the window, seen in The Incident flashbacks).

Hopefully this helps:thumbsup

One of the (wrong) original clincher's of it being tawaret was that she was the god of pregnant women or something like that. It was theorized that the women on the island had pregnancy issues after the statue was destroyed. However, we learned the statue was destroyed well before then when richards ship crashed to the island about 120-150 years before the women started having the issue.

This theory seems to be more in line.

Cool.. nice to know I'm not the only one that thinks the statue is of Sobek. The whole "behind the scenes" thing that Sobek did is very much like Jacob, and the statue bears a much stronger resemblance to Sobek than it does Tawaret. After all, Sobek actually has the head of a crocodile, Tawaret has the head of a hippopotamus. Which one does the statue's head look like?

The "official" magazine is only official because it's published by, or endorsed by, ABC Studios. It's not to say everything in it should be considered canon.

As I recall, what happened was that Michael Emerson did a bunch of research online, on his own time, and came to the conclusion that the statue was Tawaret. This was during S5, when we saw only a glimpse of it from the back, we hadn't seen the crocodile face yet. A bunch of people online, apparently including the magazine editors, took this as "proof" of who the statue was because the name came from a cast member. Despite the fact that he had no inside information at all and had pieced it together on his own, just like any other fan digging around the 'net for information.

The first semi-official "revelation" came in an issue of Wired, which was guest-edited by JJ Abrams. But nowhere does it says that JJ created the puzzle, and I would question whether he even knows. JJ created the show, and the mythology, but he might not have been involved in creating little details like that, that wouldn't be seen for several seasons after he passed control to Lindelof and Cuse.

It's been put up on the "enhanced" pop-up episodes of the show, but Lindelof and Cuse have no input on those, they're put together by folks at ABC without any input from the creative team of the show.

The name has never been spoken on the show, and I hazard to guess that the only people that really know who it is are Lindelof, Cuse, and the guy who built the prop in the photos above. Everyone else is just guessing, or running with someone else's guesses.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back