The Definitive Peter Quill/Star-Lord Costume Thread

I’m sure this has been brought up a million times, but I’m genuinely curious what the best alternative is for helmets now beyond the Hasbro bobble head. Is 3D printing / Xcoser pretty much it now? No more Joatrash or Roa Toys available?

I’ve done some mods to my Hasbro and weathered it (reflective in 2/3 photos attached), and it isn’t awwwwwfully huge on me, but I’m starting down the cosplay rabbit hole where I’m going to start doing this costume properly. I don’t think this helmet is going to cut it.

Best current helmet options available?

Attachments

• CD4AB4D8-90D7-434C-8F43-EB5547BFE85C.jpeg
    CD4AB4D8-90D7-434C-8F43-EB5547BFE85C.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 104
  • 7CC15035-4FC4-409F-86E4-03978EAB0277.jpeg
    7CC15035-4FC4-409F-86E4-03978EAB0277.jpeg
    950.1 KB · Views: 88
  • 54549B11-C1C2-47AB-9C42-1C0E16EE6D90.jpeg
    54549B11-C1C2-47AB-9C42-1C0E16EE6D90.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 93
I’m sure this has been brought up a million times, but I’m genuinely curious what the best alternative is for helmets now beyond the Hasbro bobble head. Is 3D printing / Xcoser pretty much it now? No more Joatrash or Roa Toys available?

I’ve done some mods to my Hasbro and weathered it (reflective in 2/3 photos attached), and it isn’t awwwwwfully huge on me, but I’m starting down the cosplay rabbit hole where I’m going to start doing this costume properly. I don’t think this helmet is going to cut it.

That helmet looks great to me. I see no issues. Don't start getting obsessed by tiny details that no one but you would notice. I've seen it here and it comes across pretty.... cringe.

Don't start getting obsessed by tiny details that no one but you would notice. I've seen it here and it comes across pretty.... cringe.
Lol do you know what website this is? People will literally count stiches on clothing if they can find a high enough resolution image. If getting that accurate makes you happy and scratches your brain in the right way, DO IT.

For my money, 3D printing JoeProps3D’s file would be what I would do if I was starting now.

The file is absolutely gorgeous.

Lol do you know what website this is? People will literally count stiches on clothing if they can find a high enough resolution image. If getting that accurate makes you happy and scratches your brain in the right way, DO IT.
Okay? But look at this topic now, vs where it began. If he goes down that rabbit hole, he'll barely get any assistance or any answers too.

When his helmet and everything else is already really nice, I don't find it worth that investment at all. A thriving topic with tons of active users all doing their own thing allows for insane obsession over pointless details; but that hayday for THIS topic is long over.

Honestly, no one even recommended just reading through all 178+ pages instead of asking either. The apathy for most newcomers to this topic is palpable.

Last edited:
Okay? But look at this topic now, vs where it began. If he goes down that rabbit hole, he'll barely get any assistance or any answers too.

When his helmet and everything else is already really nice, I don't find it worth that investment at all. A thriving topic with tons of active users all doing their own thing allows for insane obsession over pointless details; but that hayday for THIS topic is long over.

Honestly, no one even recommended just reading through all 178+ pages instead of asking either. The apathy for most newcomers to this topic is palpable.
The whole site is just less active than it was when the thread started. Nothing to do with apathy.

And there are plenty of reasons to obsess over details that have nothing to do with an online forum. Most of us do it because nailing the details scratches an itch in our brain.

I can understand where you guys are coming from, and I’m already down the rabbit hole a bit. But I’m absolutely loving it, even if Star-Lord doesn’t have as much of a community anymore. I actually did go through a lottttt if the pages on this thread for research and I’m so glad I did!

I learned a lot. I just painted my boot boosters and had no idea they would turn out so good. Blasters next.

Now the biggest reason I’m bringing attention to the helmet is because it is the main focal point when it’s on. For every cosplay I see, if the helmet is off then it doesn’t have the same “holy ****” effect. Every time I put the Hasbro helmet on I know I’m not completely satisfied. Hence, why I’m curious as to other options. I’d love to have one that fits me so that once I’ve put in all this work to the rest of the costume, you aren’t just distracted by a bobble head.

I can understand where you guys are coming from, and I’m already down the rabbit hole a bit. But I’m absolutely loving it, even if Star-Lord doesn’t have as much of a community anymore. I actually did go through a lottttt if the pages on this thread for research and I’m so glad I did!

I learned a lot. I just painted my boot boosters and had no idea they would turn out so good. Blasters next.

Now the biggest reason I’m bringing attention to the helmet is because it is the main focal point when it’s on. For every cosplay I see, if the helmet is off then it doesn’t have the same “holy ****” effect. Every time I put the Hasbro helmet on I know I’m not completely satisfied. Hence, why I’m curious as to other options. I’d love to have one that fits me so that once I’ve put in all this work to the rest of the costume, you aren’t just distracted by a bobble head.
I always call that the “cherry on top” mentality and it’s exactly how I do things too. JoeProps3D’s files are great but a little tough to work with.

It needs a mix of FDM and resin printing (for the detail sections) but has a TON of cool details.

Here’s a video of a version someone made from his files:

I appreciate the responses! I’m going to test out one of the 3D prints. After doing my own painting of the boot rocket boosters and the blasters I feel confident that I can do a decent helmet! The ultimate challenge!

Here’s the boosters and blasters (including a shot of the guns pre-paint). I haven’t added the heat stress burns on the blasters yet because I’m going to pick up a small airbrush for it, but take a look. Feeling pretty proud.

Attachments

• DA132D1D-D7F8-4ABA-8217-0443988848CD.jpeg
    DA132D1D-D7F8-4ABA-8217-0443988848CD.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 67
  • D7BC5DE0-586E-4C33-B19A-CB792C2030F8.jpeg
    D7BC5DE0-586E-4C33-B19A-CB792C2030F8.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 74
  • 37690244-5ABC-4CA1-BEA3-6DF61262603F.jpeg
    37690244-5ABC-4CA1-BEA3-6DF61262603F.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 54
  • A0316244-FCD7-4468-A565-04718B1ED705.jpeg
    A0316244-FCD7-4468-A565-04718B1ED705.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 53
  • 116DD6EB-0B6D-4051-AC0B-973C966A0C26.jpeg
    116DD6EB-0B6D-4051-AC0B-973C966A0C26.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 56
  • D08C6E2F-2A84-49B7-8AD3-B0D64C48A02A.jpeg
    D08C6E2F-2A84-49B7-8AD3-B0D64C48A02A.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 70
  • 6A222909-7DBD-49E1-82C1-9CD049B4DB32.jpeg
    6A222909-7DBD-49E1-82C1-9CD049B4DB32.jpeg
    931.1 KB · Views: 78
watsonstudios said he made a screen accurate Star-Lord helmet 3d file. Does anyone have it? Or Im looking for the most screen accurate Star-Lord helmet 3d file, anyone know of one?

watsonstudios said he made a screen accurate Star-Lord helmet 3d file. Does anyone have it? Or Im looking for the most screen accurate Star-Lord helmet 3d file, anyone know of one?
I found this 3D STL file on Etsy, and although I decided to purchase one professionally made/painted by RowlandFX, this was the one I was going to have printed and finish myself:

This is the RowlandFX one I just ordered in case you’d like to just purchase a helmet finished and perfected:

As mentioned above, JoeProps3D is what I consider to be the most accurate.

In general it’s not good etiquette to ask for non-public files or for people OTHER than the creator to send you files.

Good files cost good money.

As mentioned above, JoeProps3D is what I consider to be the most accurate.

In general it’s not good etiquette to ask for non-public files or for people OTHER than the creator to send you files.

Good files cost good money.
It's up to people to respond or pm me or not. If someone has one to recommend or sell that's what I'm looking for. Sorry this is the best way to reach a larger number of people. I've used Google to not find much worthwhile. Please keep the replies coming, the more the better, thanks

It's up to people to respond or pm me or not. If someone has one to recommend or sell that's what I'm looking for. Sorry this is the best way to reach a larger number of people. I've used Google to not find much worthwhile. Please keep the replies coming, the more the better, thanks
I was more referring to the fact that it sounded like you were asking people to send you someone else’s file instead of trying to buy it from that person.

If you weren’t, fine but too many people try to get free files that artists put a lot of work into. And it’s a good reminder to the community at large.

Levy just dropped a brand new super accurate helmet model for anyone looking for one.

I broke the back piece of the EFX star-lord helmet. Does anyone know how to scan, and or model a replacement back piece in cad? I can print 3d I just can't mak 3d files.

I broke the back piece of the EFX star-lord helmet. Does anyone know how to scan, and or model a replacement back piece in cad? I can print 3d I just can't mak 3d files.
There are lots of free phone scanner apps you could use. Is it broke beyond repairable?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back