The Mandalorian and Grogu (feature film)

Have you seen the movie Chef? If not, check it out, fantastic film. He won't admit it officially, but most MCU fans feel Chef is really Favreau's analogy for his fight with the studio over Iron Man 2. And that his "food truck" was the meetings with Lucasfilm/Disney and the plan he made that eventually became The Mandalorian. Or perhaps The Jungle Book. It doesn't fit perfectly.

But Iron Man 2 is what it is because the studio won that battle. So after that he did his own thing.
I have not. Studio interference or not. I'm not sure I'm on board with Jon and Dave's vision. And mind you they lost me back on Season 2. When Dave was gushing about how well they get along, just like kids playing with their Kenner toys.... And yeah it shows.... I was exhausted watching Dave and Jon's easter egg parade.

I have not. Studio interference or not. I'm not sure I'm on board with Jon and Dave's vision. And mind you they lost me back on Season 2. When Dave was gushing about how well they get along, just like kids playing with their Kenner toys.... And yeah it shows.... I was exhausted watching Dave and Jon's easter egg parade.

Yeah, totally fair. Filoni's Clone Wars really worked for me, so I've liked his vision. Favreau has mostly been good for me (except for BoBF and Mando S3, which I firmly believe is KK interference). I must admit as someone born in the 70s, the "playing with their Kenner toys" approach really works for me, including the Easter Egg parade. So I'm optmistic!

I’m hoping that was just Dave, I have the feeling that Jon took more of a back seat during S2 & 3, I think Luke showing up was his idea, but I feel that he wasn’t involved at all in BoB & Mando S3, they have the same feel as Ahsoka
I really do pray that I’m right & a full Favreau Mando Movie is what we’ll be getting

….& we…will…have…..peace

J

I believe that Grogu has hurt The Mandalorian more than it has helped. When season 1 came out i was really excited and felt the space western vibe right away. Grogu, as adorable as he is, clouded the waters. You have this backstory of Din as a child that beckons the audience to want to know more about him...who he really is. Because of Grogu, now the audience wants to know his story and in 3 seasons, we know nothing more of Din than when we started. I was willing to part with Grogu when Luke came to the Rescue and continue on with Din's story. Then it's Ahsoka and Boba and more Luke and Bo Katan, now Admiral Thrawn. Maybe the movie will dive into the "why" Din and Grogu connect? Their back stories merging and solidifying them being joined at the hip now and forever? There certainly is already allusion to that but does the audience want to go to the movies to see that? It's very confusing.

Grogu with Luke makes more sense and is more compelling of a thought, atleast to the layout of seaon 1 and 2 of Mandalorian. Not trying to be negative but realisticly, if the audiences' expectations get any more subverted then it's no wonder why we are constantly trying to make sense out of anything in any linear way (knowing what we already know about the ST being their end all in their universe). I guess "my expectation" in the beginning was that The Mandalorian would be a stand alone away from all the other stuff. Honestly, the only real positive i see happening with this movie is if(a big "if") they use it to disjoin Din from Grogu and have Din become like an Eastwood "Man without a name" in some portion of the Outer Rim away from the rest of the conglommeration...the way they should have stuck with in the beginning.

I hope that KK won't interfere, but I am always reminded of the lines of Ken Miles played by Christian Bale in Ford vs Ferrari.

"And they’re going to go back to their lovely offices, and they’re going to work out new ways to screw you. Why? Because they can’t help it. Because they just want to please their boss who wants to please his boss who wants to please his boss. And they hate themselves for it. But deep down, who they hate even more are guys like you, because you’re not like them, because you don’t think like them, because you’re different."

TazMan2000

I was willing to part with Grogu when Luke came to the Rescue and continue on with Din's story.

There is a "semi-confirmed" rumor that says that's exactly what the plan was. But when the merchandising for "Baby Yoda" sold better than any sequel trilogy toys, Lucasfilm saw the dollar signs and forced Favreau to bring him back. Which is why Grogu made the wrong choice in BoBF and clouded up Mando S3.

I firmly believe this is why the new movie will be called The Mandalorian AND GROGU.

Now that Favreau's more in control (according to more semi-confirmed rumors, PM me), I'm optimistic that we'll get true Favreau in the future!

I believe that Grogu has hurt The Mandalorian more than it has helped. When season 1 came out i was really excited and felt the space western vibe right away. Grogu, as adorable as he is, clouded the waters. You have this backstory of Din as a child that beckons the audience to want to know more about him...who he really is. Because of Grogu, now the audience wants to know his story and in 3 seasons, we know nothing more of Din than when we started. I was willing to part with Grogu when Luke came to the Rescue and continue on with Din's story. Then it's Ahsoka and Boba and more Luke and Bo Katan, now Admiral Thrawn. Maybe the movie will dive into the "why" Din and Grogu connect? Their back stories merging and solidifying them being joined at the hip now and forever? There certainly is already allusion to that but does the audience want to go to the movies to see that? It's very confusing.

Grogu with Luke makes more sense and is more compelling of a thought, atleast to the layout of seaon 1 and 2 of Mandalorian. Not trying to be negative but realisticly, if the audiences' expectations get any more subverted then it's no wonder why we are constantly trying to make sense out of anything in any linear way (knowing what we already know about the ST being their end all in their universe). I guess "my expectation" in the beginning was that The Mandalorian would be a stand alone away from all the other stuff. Honestly, the only real positive i see happening with this movie is if(a big "if") they use it to disjoin Din from Grogu and have Din become like an Eastwood "Man without a name" in some portion of the Outer Rim away from the rest of the conglommeration...the way they should have stuck with in the beginning.
I agree.. gogurt should have went with Luke, and done.. never see him again.. except headless in Luke’s jedi template the night kylo attacks…

Get that little green space b@stard out of here

I agree.. gogurt should have went with Luke, and done.. never see him again.. except headless in Luke’s jedi template the night kylo attacks…

Get that little green space b@stard out of here
1704917234408.png

"I sometimes wonder...is Grogu destined to turn to the darkside and become a Sith Lord? Consequently, i also wondered what it would have been like for Wicket to become a Jedi Master...and if they ever met in battle would he defeat Grogu with force nub-nub."

Deep Thoughts...by Hack Jandey

Yeah, totally fair. Filoni's Clone Wars really worked for me, so I've liked his vision.
And this is other side of why the shows have grown distasteful for me.

I used to love TCW. I would go on and on about how great I thought it was. And that they should watch it. But last year on Reddit are started seeing several post about questioning if fans were confusing what Dave was saying and doing as coming from George. And they would go and point out several topics, like Anakin's fall, who was responsible. The Jedi, had they lost their way. Were they right to fight in the war. Things of that nature. And pretty much for every point, Dave's views where completely contrary to George's.

Now that's not a bad, thing necessarily. I love the EU and many authors did not hold the same views on things that George did. For instance Karen Teaviss pretty much hated the Jedi. And it comes through her novels. But I think it worth keeping in mind that the different points of views from Dave and George. Particularly since TCW is considered to be this unmovable "canonical" segment of the saga. (Sometimes more so than the films.) And this new continuity is built upon that foundation. So when books like Star Wars Timelines says- "Led by Yoda, the Jedi have frown remote from those they serve, heedless of the growing corruption and lawlessness-and blind to the plot against their Order."
Screenshot_20240110-134312.png

That right there is what I call a Filoni-ism. The Jedi are a flawed institution, blinded by their hubris. This stands in pretty stark contrast to how George viewed the Jedi. The Jedi are the victims of nefarious plot. Blinded not by their own pride, but by the Dark Side of the Force. There is this pervasive feeling amongst many fans that the Jedi were corrupt and flawed, long before the Clone Wars. (I used to hold that view) And it's backed up by TCW. Those last seasons paint the Jedi very negatively.

And again this is the foundation of this new continuity. So it's unsurprising when see the show runner of Star Wars Acolyte saying she wants to explore the faults of the Jedi Order, what a hundred some years before the Clone Wars? The Jedi are supposed the perfect beacons, especially then.

Anyways I digress....

And this is other side of why the shows have grown distasteful for me.

I used to love TCW. I would go on and on about how great I thought it was. And that they should watch it. But last year on Reddit are started seeing several post about questioning if fans were confusing what Dave was saying and doing as coming from George. And they would go and point out several topics, like Anakin's fall, who was responsible. The Jedi, had they lost their way. Were they right to fight in the war. Things of that nature. And pretty much for every point, Dave's views where completely contrary to George's.

Now that's not a bad, thing necessarily. I love the EU and many authors did not hold the same views on things that George did. For instance Karen Teaviss pretty much hated the Jedi. And it comes through her novels. But I think it worth keeping in mind that the different points of views from Dave and George. Particularly since TCW is considered to be this unmovable "canonical" segment of the saga. (Sometimes more so than the films.) And this new continuity is built upon that foundation. So when books like Star Wars Timelines says- "Led by Yoda, the Jedi have frown remote from those they serve, heedless of the growing corruption and lawlessness-and blind to the plot against their Order."View attachment 1777879
That right there is what I call a Filoni-ism. The Jedi are a flawed institution, blinded by their hubris. This stands in pretty stark contrast to how George viewed the Jedi. The Jedi are the victims of nefarious plot. Blinded not by their own pride, but by the Dark Side of the Force. There is this pervasive feeling amongst many fans that the Jedi were corrupt and flawed, long before the Clone Wars. (I used to hold that view) And it's backed up by TCW. Those last seasons paint the Jedi very negatively.

And again this is the foundation of this new continuity. So it's unsurprising when see the show runner of Star Wars Acolyte saying she wants to explore the faults of the Jedi Order, what a hundred some years before the Clone Wars? The Jedi are supposed the perfect beacons, especially then.

Anyways I digress....
Joek3rr, please do not take this the wrong way... We have never had a cross word, & I'm not trying to single you out or 'gatekeep' or anything like that. Even though we fundamentally disagree on the content of most of your posts, they are almost ALWAYS well thought out & presented, & I enjoy reading them.

That said, this post right here is what I don't get. You started an entire thread to discuss "ALL THINGS STAR WARS", & again, although I completely disagree with the content of what you said, & although it's presented well, I fail to see what it has to do with this new film that's being discussed, other than Filoni being named as a producer.

It's exactly what I was talking about when I said EVERY SINGLE SW THREAD turns into the EXACT SAME SW THREAD.

Again, this isn't a personal attack, but I just wanted to use this as an example of what I was talking about. If it's taken any other way, I truly apologize personally, but my point still stands.

After a 25,000 years or so, I would hope the fall of the Jedi would begin more than half a percent (.4% to be exact) from their end.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back