The Mandalorian (TV series)

Maybe from the top like the the X-Wing and Y-Wing?

We see it loading from underneath though.

Screenshot_20230118-133735.png

Screenshot_20230118-133759.png

it's like the Astromechs in the Jedi Starfighters, they should stick significantly out underneath the wing, but just...don't. We are supposed to ignore it.
On the digital models they added boxy protrusions to try and sell the idea they can fit. They still don't. But it tricks the eye.

Good lord.. all this does is dig deeper the hole that was how unbelievably impractical this ship is for anything other than its expressly designed purpose as a short range fighter… *facepalm*
Yeah, that booster engine is about right where the body of the astromech should sit.....
Is R2 the only astromech we see leave a starfighter? In Episode II they make it look like R4 is built into kenobi’s starfighter. And again when the “buzz droids” :sick: kill him in the start of EIII..
If Lucas, rather than demanding R2 be there for the slapstick comedy garbage, gave Anakin instead has an entirely separate astromech, it would have avoided this entirely…

Actually now that I think about it, why the hell does Anakin have R2 in Episode III at all? It’s not his droid, but rather Padme’s, isnt he?
Did that just get lost in translation in between EII and EIII or am I missing something?

Good lord.. all this does is dig deeper the hole that was how unbelievably impractical this ship is for anything other than its expressly designed purpose as a short range fighter… *facepalm*

Is R2 the only astromech we see leave a starfighter? In Episode II they make it look like R4 is built into kenobi’s starfighter. And again when the “buzz droids” :sick: kill him in the start of EIII..
If Lucas, rather than demanding R2 be there for the slapstick comedy garbage, gave Anakin instead has an entirely separate astromech, it would have avoided this entirely…

Actually now that I think about it, why the hell does Anakin have R2 in Episode III at all? It’s not his droid, but rather Padme’s, isnt he?
Did that just get lost in translation in between EII and EIII or am I missing something?
In TPM Artoo is the only droid we see getting loaded in. Though we can assume the other droids are as well. When we first see the N-1s they don't have astromechs. And when they retake the palace they have some droids accompanying them. Though all the fighters seem to have magically have droids already.

In AOTC we Artoo and another green astromech get dropped out of their respective N-1s.

Arfour, is built into Obi-Wan's Delta 7, until Revenge of the Sith. And EU backstory said Anakin would remove her from the Delta 7 and install her in a R2 unit's body. Also rectifying the fact that R4 units have clear domes, and don't look like R2 units.

In the EU, Anakin does have a different droid(s) for the war. Padmé gives him Artoo after his knighting. (Which is either few weeks or a few months after Geonosis according to the post TCW timeline. Or 2 years 6 months according to the EU timeline pre TCW. Or 2 years according to the ROTS novelization.)

And Padme has C-3P0, they must have just traded for practicality. Padme has way more use for a Protocol droid than an Astromech.

Last edited:
And Padme has C-3P0, they must have just traded for practicality. Padme has way more use for a Protocol droid than and Astromech.
More im surprised she doesn’t have both of them and Anakin none. It makes far more sense for Anakin to simply gift Padme 3po rather than have them swap droids. Especially if they want to keep their relationship on the down-low.
That aside, Jedi outwardly seem to have no need of an astromech
Its been a long while since ive watched the prequels though

Last edited:
Arfour, is built into Obi-Wan's Delta 7, until Revenge of the Sith. And EU backstory said Anakin would remove her from the Delta 7 and install her in a R2 unit's body. Also rectifying the fact that R4 units have clear domes, and don't look like R2 units.
This is one of those things ILM did without Lucas' involvement. All that was in the script was "R2 units". I can't remember if it was West End or Decipher, but one of those decided the big droid at the end of the Jawas' lineup was an R1. The droid wranglers started from R2-D2 and went forward from there. They decided the clear domes were the R3s, the "lampshade" heads were R4s, the "flowerpot" heads were R5s. Kenner got most of their naming designations from those guys, hence R5-D4, their nicknames for the cantina aliens, their terms for the fighter craft...

When they got to AOTC, the script dialogue had Obi-Wan calling his droid "R4", so they put the lampshade head on. When George saw it, he asked why they'd done that, and they said, "Well, you said 'R4' and those are these guys". And George said, "No, I want a regular dome like R2-D2. The number doesn't indicate what kind of head they have." And so we got a bunch of droids in Clone Wars -- including Mace's R7 -- that don't follow that old EU structure. Especially considering the EU's R7 series didn't exist until the New Republic.

This is one of those things ILM did without Lucas' involvement. All that was in the script was "R2 units". I can't remember if it was West End or Decipher, but one of those decided the big droid at the end of the Jawas' lineup was an R1. The droid wranglers started from R2-D2 and went forward from there. They decided the clear domes were the R3s, the "lampshade" heads were R4s, the "flowerpot" heads were R5s. Kenner got most of their naming designations from those guys, hence R5-D4, their nicknames for the cantina aliens, their terms for the fighter craft...

When they got to AOTC, the script dialogue had Obi-Wan calling his droid "R4", so they put the lampshade head on. When George saw it, he asked why they'd done that, and they said, "Well, you said 'R4' and those are these guys". And George said, "No, I want a regular dome like R2-D2. The number doesn't indicate what kind of head they have." And so we got a bunch of droids in Clone Wars -- including Mace's R7 -- that don't follow that old EU structure. Especially considering the EU's R7 series didn't exist until the New Republic.
Oh yeah, I forgot it was the R3s that were supposed to be the clear domed astromechs. Not the R4s. Does this mean I lose my Star Wars fan card?:p

Yeah, George never cared much for continuity. And it was always left to the EU to sort out the wrinkles. I think Pablo came up with the idea that the short designations were just a small section of a much larger number. So Mace's droid R8-B7 might have had a much longer number like R2-56D3-R8-B7 or something.

R8, right. Well, in Star Wars, Luke even calls "R5-D4" an R2 unit. It's likely an in-universe genericization. Like Xerox or PopSicle for us. Whatever the P and Q series had going for them, whatever the R1 actually was, the R2 series struck a chord and stayed in use for ages.

My headcanon is that they came up with upgraded options and gave each its own designator inside the R series, but that the earlier R2 remained the standard. So, for instance, when the R3 was introduced, you could get it with the standard R2 dome or the new, clear executive-assistant dome. When the R5 came along, you could get the R2 dome, R3 clear dome, R4 lampshade, or the new R5 whatever-the-heck-its-deal-was. It was unreliable, so they rolled out the R6, which fixed the R5's problems. And so on.

But to the general public, they were all "R2 units". Even if you had an R7 with a lampshade head.

I think Pablo came up with the idea that the short designations were just a small section of a much larger number. So Mace's droid R8-B7 might have had a much longer number like R2-56D3-R8-B7 or something.
That actually makes a lot of sense, otherwise, the production run of each series of droid would be kind of small since there are only 468 (if my math is right) possible combinations of a letter with a single digit number. And for a universe as large as Star Wars, less than 500 units is a pretty damned small production run.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back