The OA (Netflix original series)

Question: Has anybody checked out any of the OA groups on Facebook? Word of advice--don't! These people are nuts. They believe all this stuff is real.

Thoughts?

Well, I got through 6 episodes of the second season yesterday. Whoa, I may have to take up smoking weed again if I am going to finish this season! There is some seriously fuckin' weird **** going on in this show!!

Well, I got through 6 episodes of the second season yesterday. Whoa, I may have to take up smoking weed again if I am going to finish this season! There is some seriously fuckin' weird **** going on in this show!!

Yes. Yes there is :)

Started watching S2 two and it was like, what's wrong with her? Why does she have an accent? Who's this guy who they devoted nearly a whole episode to right off the bat?

First two episodes we thought "Holy slow development, Batman!". At the end of the first Season, my better half and I loved that show.

It struck a chord deeply within me, because the stories underlying belief system covers many, many, many aspects of my own personal belief system, especially since the death of my wife. Multiverses are the latest thing, I guess. Noone is really gone forever ;)

But I must say that, as frackin´ cool as I found the idea of "Old Knight" (or is it old night?), as rushed in it felt to me. We just started episode five and I just made the mistake to read a tiny spoiler about what happens with Hap and Elodie, but that spoiler combined with "old knight" kind of pulled me out of the story. The philosophical and hence fantastic aspect feels pushed out of the way in favor a more science fiction aspect. Yes, science has played a major role in the first season, but that was IMO "pseudo" science, because Hap was just experimenting, not really knowing what he was doing. Fishing in the dark and murky waters of after life.

I am ready to accept a lot of fantastic stuff, but IMO here in that season it felt like they shoe horned a lot of good ideas into the early episodes as if they were afraid that the show might get cancelled before they are able to use those ideas. I loved Fringe and Quantum Leap and so on, The OA though is atm a completely different beast. I am quite torn, yet curious to see how everything plays out.

I'm sorry, but I still don't get what the telepathic octopus and the talking tree were up to. Just seemed like they just decided to throw in some "save the planet" stuff and then just disregard it.

I found I did not like season 2 as much as season 1. First season seemed like there was this big mystery to solve, then 2 went off into all this Quantum Leap stuff.

I'm sorry, but I still don't get what the telepathic octopus and the talking tree were up to. Just seemed like they just decided to throw in some "save the planet" stuff and then just disregard it ...

Waaaiiiit... did they also have a singing bush and an invisble swordsman in that season ?!

I think the purpose of each was to connect OA to her true purpose. Old Knight and The Tree Network both attempted to guide OA to where she needed to be. While there are pseudo-science elements shown (Elodie's devices, etc) I believe that OA represents the spiritual side of it all.

Hap tried to shortcut to the truth with gadgets... OA takes the legit (but harder) route through metaphysics and faith.

That's why she told him "we have something you'll NEVER have. we have FAITH" as she was about to ascend.

I still think Elodie is playing both of them to the middle: encouraging them to either face off or work together. She told OA that Hap was her shadow... perhaps in some sense they are two halves of the same being.

Watched both seasons not enamoured I won't bother with any others. I really don't get how this is quite so popular?

It was weird in the first season. In season two, it approaches Twin Peaks-level weird. Some of the visuals struck me as possibly inspired by Lynch's work.

Not a bad thing, as far as I'm concerned. YMMV.

SSB

it definitely can throw you. and I think one has to be the sort that is intrigued by that to have it really grab you.

Personally, i LOVE an ever growing mystery (or group of interconnected mysteries). A Garden of Forking Paths... pondering the possibilities; the implications of each new mystery revealed.

Obviously I know that having a thirst for this kind of story means i often find myself led down a rabbit hole with potentially no real payoff. and while this *could* happen here, as well.... I am all in for the ride, and still feel quite confident that there will be a brilliant payoff at the end of the story.

I have not once felt that I've seen the wizard behind the curtain so far. I still have faith :)

I think it works much better if you watched the S1 finale' then went right to S2. For me, it was like a yearlong break. Made it bit harder to tie the pieces together. And it really did not help starting it off with a whole new character when you're wondering what happened after the end of S1. Took a bit too long to get to that part IMO.

well it concluded the arc that was set up at the beginning of S2, but the overall story has only been partially told.

Brit and Zal have 5 seasons mapped out. I hope they find another outlet for the other 3, because I don't want this story to just stop.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back