The Ultimate Guide to Lightsabers eBook

Okay saber fam-- Here is a BETA version of the next edition.

It's not yet on wannawanga, I haven't released it to the FB groups or other forums. I'm not even updating the first post yet. I am still waiting on notes from a couple new sources and some images are still on the way to me, so this is not final. But this is close, so now's the time I do a small show for you all to play spot the problems...

LOTS of changes. Did a lot of rewriting, a few new entries, and I dod a total redesign. Enjoy!

http://sethmsherwood.com/OMGSECRET/V4_2019_betaV2.pdf

I’m sorry, I love your book I constantly check it, but I have to be honest - I absolutely HATE the inverted colors. It would be like reading a novel with a black background and white text it would bug me to death. And I miss the actual showcase pictures of the sabers at the beginning of each chapter. This is a style over substance thing so I implore you to change it back.

Also caught a typo on the prequel sabers rots grievous:

There was significant use of CG body-stunt dou- bles in ROTS. Therefor CG models of many props, including lightsabers, were created.

Quick comment on phrasing... The guide on pages 57 and 58 attributes the Praco Yoda build to being made specifically for the Episode 1 Visual Dictionary - according to Ed's telling, the prop was made independently as a goof by EM and SD, and it was through his friendship with David West Reynolds that DWR became aware of the prop, and requested to borrow it for photography and inclusion in the book (and unbeknownst for the later movies):

Yoda VD lightsaber discussion

So it was really a fan-made design that was incorporated into supplemental materials and then the movies themselves, rather than something commissioned by Lucasfilm or DK books. I saw he commented in this thread last month so I may be saying things you already know :)

Also, do you remember the source of the association of that Minicam flash saber with Even Piell? I couldn't find much info on it anywhere on the RPF, so I added a comment to the single thread about it, here: Even Piell Lightsaber

Nitpicky but I noticed a few times where Mark Hamill's last name was spelled with only one L - 'Hamil' instead of 'Hamill'

Quick comment on phrasing... The guide on pages 57 and 58 attributes the Praco Yoda build to being made specifically for the Episode 1 Visual Dictionary - according to Ed's telling, the prop was made independently as a goof by EM and SD, and it was through his friendship with David West Reynolds that DWR became aware of the prop, and requested to borrow it for photography and inclusion in the book (and unbeknownst for the later movies):

Yoda VD lightsaber discussion

So it was really a fan-made design that was incorporated into supplemental materials and then the movies themselves, rather than something commissioned by Lucasfilm or DK books. I saw he commented in this thread last month so I may be saying things you already know :)
That was always my understanding of the genesis of the Yoda saber as well.

Still toying with the chapter headers, those will likely change. The inverted photos aren't something I am married to-- but the overall white text on black and red theme is probably there to stay.

:(

It’s very hard for me to read. Maybe it’s just my eyes/brain

Man I must have an inverted color spectrum view or something, because I find that a dark background and light text helps the text pop more effectively and make it easier to distinguish than having to strain my eyes against a brightly colored background to see dark text.

Whether Im on youtube or tvtropes, Im always browsing in "night vision/dark" mode for this very reason.

Man I must have an inverted color spectrum view or something, because I find that a dark background and light text helps the text pop more effectively and make it easier to distinguish than having to strain my eyes against a brightly colored background to see dark text.

Whether Im on youtube or tvtropes, Im always browsing in "night vision/dark" mode for this very reason.

Me too.. I like the dark background. Easier on the eyes

Dark themes are a thing for a reason. When you're reading it on paper, yeah black text on a white background. On a bright screen, long exposure to bright white can cause strain so a black background is typically gentler on the eyes for extended reading.
I can only stay on the RPF for a short time now that the dark theme is gone.

Last edited:
yeah, Apple has encouraged all their developers to do dark modes and it's changed my life. I spend most of my day staring at screens and it's so much better. Definitely inspired the guide...

That and ensuring no one can print it without some serious UCR correction so I don't get myself sued.

yeah, Apple has encouraged all their developers to do dark modes and it's changed my life. I spend most of my day staring at screens and it's so much better. Definitely inspired the guide...

That and ensuring no one can print it without some serious UCR correction so I don't get myself sued.

Yup, love the black layout on mac’s

Hey all. Just to shed some light on Even Piell's lightsaber, I'm the original designer. I created it for my website, thelightsaber.com which is now theoriginallightsaber.com. It's something I put together years ago when the prequel trilogy came out and I was creating designs for characters who we hadn't seen yet. The designs I created was used with my permission in the Dark Horse comics and an agreement I have with Jan Duursema. If any of you have any questions feel free to ask.

Hey all. Just to shed some light on Even Piell's lightsaber, I'm the original designer. I created it for my website, thelightsaber.com which is now theoriginallightsaber.com. It's something I put together years ago when the prequel trilogy came out and I was creating designs for characters who we hadn't seen yet. The designs I created was used with my permission in the Dark Horse comics and an agreement I have with Jan Duursema. If any of you have any questions feel free to ask.

Wicked cool! I didn’t know this!

I hadn't looked at your guide since sometime in late 2017 - I can't believe how much it's grown. So extensive. Great work.

That's so cool! This section is getting worked over, so I'll set the record straight for sure.

I'll echo someone else's comment, not a fan of the black background. White text definitely pops, but it's much more tiring and straining on the eyes for long-format reading. I suspect that the black background however is to discourage easy printing.

For anyone who might find it more comfortable to read (not print) with inverted color scheme on the screen, you can do it with Acrobat Reader. Preferences -> Accessibility -> Replace Document Colors -> Use High-Contrast colors -> Black text on white

That aside... Not sure if anyone else has mentioned it, but have you considered making the table of contents link to the pages its referencing? That should be achievable in most editing software. If the entries are already supposed to link, consider this a report that they're not working when viewed in Chrome.

In the "ROGER CHRISTIAN GRAFLEXES" section you mention that he's used a Robertson screw to fasten the D-Ring... I believe I read both threads here about his sabers and the auction where it was first suggested it might be a Robby, but I'm pretty sure it's just a hex cap screw - the same one that comes with the D-ring itself from eBay, etc. Finding a Robby readily available outside of Canada isn't typical.

Last edited:
Well, sorry to say. I can't please everyone. Most people prefer the black, and again, I have other reasons for doing it too. I apologize to those of you that don't like it-- but the resolution is much bigger so you can actually zoom in quite a bit for easier reading.

I was doing my taxes this weekend, but next weekend I can finally get this thing finalized.

I love the idea of making the TOC pages jump to links. My life as a designer began in the print era, so I laid it out old school. But indesign has a lot of hyperlink abilities that will hold when exporting to PDF. I should be able to do this.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back