Question Three Seperate Ads = too much? (resolved)

Re: Seriously??? FOUR ad banners at the top of the page?

I had responded to Funky's comment prior to the merge. It wasn't tranferred over as far as I can tell. I may have skipped it...I replaced it anyway. I had multiple rants going, anyway. No big deal. Too lazy to go looking for it, now.

Thanks, though.

Nothing was intentionally removed. You sure you didn't skip over it in the merged messages?

Last edited:
Clay, I know you didn't mean anything by this, but because some people may get the wrong idea, I feel compelled to point out that not only is no one making a living off the RPF, none of the staff, myself included make ANY money at all. ALL of the money that is generated by the site goes back into the site via hosting, software, contests, prop parties, etc.

Ah, I figured that this was also in part someone's living. I hear ya, man. I just assumed is all. :thumbsup

As I was saying, between the adds, shirts and silly clicks that are developing; the whole thing frustrates me. What was a site about props has slowly turned to a site about off-topic personalities. Very high-school.

Looking for threads started by Rylo in the prop forum.

Looking for threads started by Rylo in the costumes forum.

Looking for threads started by Rylo in either of the model forums.

What? Wait! I have found them! Almost all of your threads are in the Junkyard! You claim concern about a site that was about props being turned into a site about personalities, and you complain about advertising, but all your efforts relate to adverting your wares and not to building what you want the site to be about. Come on now. If you want to complain about what you feel is happening to the site, why aren't you posting more in the prop forums?

All of these new members and links seem to have done very little contribute to the substance of the main page. To say the topics are 'soft' would be putting it mildly.

Again, you are complaining about what is being posted in the main forum, but what are you doing to make it different? Where are your 'hard' topics?

Now, it's been suggested if you opt out of your posts being linked from the main page to facebook that you're somehow drafting on the RPF or simply 'using' the place.

Yes... and where is the issue with that suggestion? You (along with many, many others) make money off the RPF but when we, as a site, try to use the content on the site to promote the site and bring you more buyers, you cry foul?

Sorry, I was here contributing for a decade before the new changes! The fact that I prefer a low profile when posting has little to do with my love of the hobby or community. Call it self preservation for those of us who do more than giggle in the off-topic.

Rylo, you and I have talked privately and I know where you are coming from so please don't take my comments as a personal attack, but my question to you and those with the same mindset (who don't have the guts you do to speak your mind) is what are your past contributions doing to help the site and its membership today? I am not saying that to belittle your past achievements, but none of us can rest on our past, but if we want something to be here at the RPF, then we have to make it new, every day. Are you helping new members? Are you guiding them? Are you passing on knowledge and grooming the next generation of prop makers?

I know you have serious privacy concerns, which is why we are allowing the Facebook Opt-Out at all, but we said what we said because we want those who do choose to Opt-Out to take it seriously. You might not consider it to be the case, but by Opting-out, you ARE hurting the site. We don't say that to make you feel guilty, just as a statement of fact.

and the luxury restroom that you guys get to share :love

Well now, there is the staff bathroom. We do get that perk. :cool

Also, yes, the shirt ad was pretty big, but it was basically a "one time ad" that you can easily close by clicking the little red x. Keep in mind, the shirts are a great way to give back to the rpf by showing your support.

Exactly. I don't even have anything to add because you said it all.

Art, you might want to put an interest thread in the Junkyard for RPF shirts.....Some members use software to eliminate ads and others rarely check the announcement section. Another way to promote the shirts

Good idea, but I think for this run, we have attained the exposure we need (some obviously feel it is over-exposure). I am hoping we will eventually get a fulfillment service and the shirts won't be sold as runs but will just be available whenever... but we aren't ready for that yet.

Ah, I figured that this was also in part someone's living. I hear ya, man. I just assumed is all. :thumbsup

I think a lot of people assume that, but it isn't even close to the case. :unsure

Things like the shirt run and upcoming patch and coin runs aren't lining anyone's pockets, but instead will hopefully give us enough to help ensure that we have a more stable site as well as a few more contests.

For starters, the Junkyard is still private and not blistered and linked to all over the net! You and I have discussed this time and time again.

As for my history with the RPF. I have over decade of having contributed to the RPF under my belt. I'm certain my reputation is in tact with regard to that matter and any suggestion to the contrary is simply insulting.

Agreed, Not so much on your watch.

Is there a quota of some sort. Something I'm not aware of?? I'll gladly stack my resume against the best of them if you'd like to privately go down the list as to what I've shared, contributed, manufactured, etc?

The fact of the matter is, you seem to have a problem with anyone who waxes nostalgic about the RPF prior to you having taken over. (see your repsonse to Funky's previous post)

You are quick to marginalize anyone who takes issue with this "new" RPF. I believe it's important to remember the RPF did quite well for a number of years prior to these new changes. While I agree you've done a lot of work; some of which you should be quite proud of, I find it disturbing how quick you are to cross swords with those who disagree with you.

-Rylo

Looking for threads started by Rylo in the prop forum.

Looking for threads started by Rylo in the costumes forum.

Looking for threads started by Rylo in either of the model forums.

What? Wait! I have found them! Almost all of your threads are in the Junkyard! You claim concern about a site that was about props being turned into a site about personalities, and you complain about advertising, but all your efforts relate to adverting your wares and not to building what you want the site to be about. Come on now. If you want to complain about what you feel is happening to the site, why aren't you posting more in the prop forums?

Again, you are complaining about what is being posted in the main forum, but what are you doing to make it different? Where are your 'hard' topics?

Yes... and where is the issue with that suggestion? You (along with many, many others) make money off the RPF but when we, as a site, try to use the content on the site to promote the site and bring you more buyers, you cry foul?

Rylo, you and I have talked privately and I know where you are coming from so please don't take my comments as a personal attack, but my question to you and those with the same mindset (who don't have the guts you do to speak your mind) is what are your past contributions doing to help the site and its membership today? I am not saying that to belittle your past achievements, but none of us can rest on our past, but if we want something to be here at the RPF, then we have to make it new, every day. Are you helping new members? Are you guiding them? Are you passing on knowledge and grooming the next generation of prop makers?

I know you have serious privacy concerns, which is why we are allowing the Facebook Opt-Out at all, but we said what we said because we want those who do choose to Opt-Out to take it seriously. You might not consider it to be the case, but by Opting-out, you ARE hurting the site. We don't say that to make you feel guilty, just as a statement of fact.

Last edited:
Clay, I know you didn't mean anything by this, but because some people may get the wrong idea, I feel compelled to point out that not only is no one making a living off the RPF, none of the staff, myself included make ANY money at all. ALL of the money that is generated by the site goes back into the site via hosting, software, contests, prop parties, etc.

Ummm, prop parties??? The ones I have here in Oklahoma were never "sponsored"? Are monies generated by the RPF used for prop parties???

For starters, the Junkyard is still private and not blistered and linked to all over the net! You and I have discussed this time and time again.

Yup. That was a good call on your part and we aren't planning to change that.

As for my history with the RPF. I have over decade of having contributed to the RPF under my belt. I'm ceratin my reputation is in tact with regard to that matter and any suggestion to the contrary is simply insulting.

Ry, no one is questioning your past contributions or your reputation. If you are reading my comments as some kind of revisionist history, you are mistaken. My question is, if you don't like the RPF as you see it becoming, what are you (and by 'you' I mean anyone who doesn't like what they feel is happening) doing to change it? Complaining isn't going to solve anything, but unlike so many, you actually possess the talent and know-how to make a serious impact on the direction of the site... but you choose not to use them and instead limit your interaction on the site to sales. How can you do that and still complain?

Agreed, Not so much on your watch.

I can't respond to this because I am not sure what you are referencing.

Is there a quota of some sort. Something I'm not aware of?? I'll gladly stack my resume against the best of them if you'd like to privately go down the list as to what I've shared, contributed, manufactured, etc?

You are taking this personally as if your past is being questioned. I am not questioning your past, I am questioning the paradox you are helping create in the present. You don't like what is happening, but you won't do anything to change it.

The fact of the matter is, you seem to have a problem with anyone who waxes nostalgic about the RPF prior to you having taken over. (see your repsonse to Funky's previous post)

Not at all. I have been here over ten years and have a LOT of great memories from the RPF. If not for the RPF there would have never been a TDH and without TDH I would have never met my wife. The RPF has had a major impact on my life and I don't look at the past with any animosity... however, unlike some, I also don't look at the past with rose colored glasses and pretend like it was a garden of eden either.

You are quick to marginalize anyone who takes issue with this "new" RPF. I believe it's important to remember the RPF did quite well for a number of years prior to these new changes. While I agree you've done a lot of work; some of which you should be quite proud of, I find it disturbing how quick you are to cross swords with those who disagree with you.

I don't know why you are surprised that I am willing to defend the work we have done. If I didn't think they were worth defending, we wouldn't be doing it. That doesn't necessarily make us right or mean that everyone has to agree with us, but yes, of course I am willing to defend the decisions we have made. I do take exception to your comment that I marginalize anyone who doesn't agree with direction we have gone. It is from those who don't agree that we get most of our ideas and are those who help truly shape the decisions we make. Now, I will grant you that I don't have a lot of tolerance for those who just want to complain or who make vague comments about a golden past, but we are ALWAYS willing to listen to anyone who is willing to lay out a logical and reasonable argument for their disagreement.

Ummm, prop parties??? The ones I have here in Oklahoma were never "sponsored"? Are monies generated by the RPF used for prop parties???

Yes. We helped with the recent prop party in Southern CA. The site can't take full credit because most of that goes to Jedifyfe. As we have the funds, our intent is to sponsor and help out more and more prop parties where possible.

Yes. We helped with the recent prop party in Southern CA. The site can't take full credit because most of that goes to Jedifyfe. As we have the funds, our intent is to sponsor and help out more and more prop parties where possible.

So do you govern which prop parties will be "assisted" by the RPF?
Art, I don't mind if there is an "official" RPF prop party, but I feel it's unfair that funds garnered by the RPF are used to (and I hate to say it, but I calls em as I sees em) go to prop parties where you can attend. Please, by all means, tell me I'm wrong. I'm a big boy. I can take it.

So do you govern which prop parties will be "assisted" by the RPF?
Art, I don't mind if there is an "official" RPF prop party, but I feel it's unfair that funds garnered by the RPF are used to (and I hate to say it, but I calls em as I sees em) go to prop parties where you can attend. Please, by all means, tell me I'm wrong. I'm a big boy. I can take it.

You are wrong. I won't be attending the one in the UK, but we plan to help out with that one as well.

And if you want to know why there isn't enough to go around for everyone... :lol:lol:lol well, I am just going to take the easy way out and blame all the people using adblockers...

Would I be out of line to ask what other prop parties have been "assisted" by the RPF?

Not at all. The Southern CA Prop Party was the first, primarily because we wanted to promote the new brand/logo and it was the first where we had a little bit of revenue to help out. I expect the UK party will be the second. Others will come as we have the funding.

Are you ever-so-not-subtly asking if we would help out with a prop party in OK?

Not at all. The Southern CA Prop Party was the first, primarily because we wanted to promote the new brand/logo and it was the first where we had a little bit of revenue to help out. I expect the UK party will be the second. Others will come as we have the funding.

Are you ever-so-not-subtly asking if we would help out with a prop party in OK?

Art, not at all, we take care of our own here in cowtown. :lol However, I noticed that you mentioned spending RPF funds on prop parties. I also noticed that it happened to be the one you attended. Why couldn't it have been one in another state?
Look, bro, I'm not calling you out. But I know you know I have been a long time protector of the RPF. It's become a huge part of my life. I just need to feel reassured that the RPF (and all funds forthcoming) are put into the site. If something doesn't feel right, I'll call you on it, that's all.

Art, not at all, we take care of our own here in cowtown. :lol However, I noticed that you mentioned spending RPF funds on prop parties. I also noticed that it happened to be the one you attended. Why couldn't it have been one in another state?

I live in AZ/NV. The prop party was in Southern CA, almost 6 hours away. We were actually supporting it before I decided to go, but after I found out Mic Davis was going to be there... I mean come on... Mic Davis! how could I not go? :lol

Look, bro, I'm not calling you out. But I know you know I have been a long time protector of the RPF. It's become a huge part of my life. I just need to feel reassured that the RPF (and all funds forthcoming) are put into the site. If something doesn't feel right, I'll call you on it, that's all.

I don't mind giving an overview of what we are doing in an effort to support the site, although I can tell you without hesitation that I am not about to be scrutinized on how the site's financials are handled. I am sure others would not make all of the same choices we make, just as you wouldn't make the same choices we make with the site itself. As far as reassurance, all I can tell you is that EVERYTHING the site makes is going back into supporting the site and trying to create a stronger community.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back