Question Three Seperate Ads = too much? (resolved)

I didn't know you guys were helping finance prop parties. I think that's great. Thumbs up.

I had a big ad for the shirt pop up too, and frankly my reaction was "Cool, I might have to pick one up, I dig the new icons they assigned the different subforums." So yes, the ad worked on me. I was hardly offended by having to close the ad and scroll down.

I didn't know you guys were helping finance prop parties. I think that's great. Thumbs up.

Funds are very tight, but we are slowly trying to reach out more and more and give back to the community.

Our first outreach in this area was sponsoring contests in which we help pay for a certain amount of the prizes which we require to come from members. It is hard to beat, because it is a double win in which we are paying members from props and giving those props away to other members!

Now we are slowly working our way into helping out with things like prop parties.

I had a big ad for the shirt pop up too, and frankly my reaction was "Cool, I might have to pick one up, I dig the new icons they assigned the different subforums." So yes, the ad worked on me. I was hardly offended by having to close the ad and scroll down.

Thanks! While some people might not like it, the shirt notice worked unbelievably well! We had more shirts sold yesterday than we have in the past week, and thank goodness, because we were beginning to think we wouldn't reach our minimum order!

It is rare that we will post a big ad like that as just like the rest of you, I then have to look at it... :lol:lol:lol

I saw the huge ad and wanted a shirt too. I also saw the huge red X to close that ad. It isn't the first ad of its kind to be posted. Usually the big RPF ads can be closed after viewing.

I use Chrome. It's about 50/50 whether or not the ad lines up properly, or whether I see three lines of ads.

Can you look at this a bit more and see if there is any consistancy to when/where it happens? The width of the body of the site should be wide enough to accommodate the ads in two row (we don't want three rows), but clearly it seems something is affecting this.

I'm on another board where the admin likes to force-push mandatory messages on us before we can view the rest of the board. It got excessive when he'd do it every friday. I'm glad the RPF is not like this, and that I can just click-a the red X after reading something.

I also want to add that I've done my share of nasty insinuations on the motives of the mod staff - sometimes from a place of anger, sometimes just trying to push a button and get something *done*. I've always felt wrong/remorseful for having done so afterwards; I do not see any of the three moderators "embezzling" or even taking compensation for their work. Considering the amount of work going into this site right now, I have even more respect for them - it would be completely justifiable to ask for a stipend of some sort to compensate for their time and resources, and the fact they haven't done so speaks volumes.

Heck, the site was down last Saturday and I'm pretty sure plans were cancelled and stuff dropped in order to work on the issue. Ask yourselves if you'd be willing to do the same.

I do not see any of the three moderators "embezzling" or even taking compensation for their work. Considering the amount of work going into this site right now, I have even more respect for them - it would be completely justifiable to ask for a stipend of some sort to compensate for their time and resources, and the fact they haven't done so speaks volumes.

Trust me. I wish we were in a position to get a stipend. The problem is, every time more revenue comes in, we seem to find a new place to spend it and the needs (sometimes the wants, like supporting contests and prop parties) far outweigh the means. While I am sure some people would be all up in arms about it, I would have no problem with the staff being paid for the job they do, but the problem is, we simply don't have anywhere near the revenue to do that, and from my estimates, won't have for years, but then again, this was never about the money anyway. It is about building and maintaining a great platform for this community to enjoy, so that is where all the revenue goes.

Heck, the site was down last Saturday and I'm pretty sure plans were cancelled and stuff dropped in order to work on the issue. Ask yourselves if you'd be willing to do the same.

Whew... we don't even want to talk about that one. I am trying my best to simply forget it happened...

Are people just not reading? :confused :confused :confused

attachment.php

Are people just not reading? :confused :confused :confused

I never read ads on the internet, Art. :lol They are like junk email or telesales calls, my brain has been conditioned not to waste energy on them and just shuts them out. It's the marketing person's worst nightmare, but the truth.

The email that was sent, I read (well, the first couple paragraphs) - because The RPF doesn't send that many of them, so it was worth my time to figure out the special occasion. If you up the rate of sending them, my brain will go into autopilot on them too.

Art, to be truthful, I wouldn't doubt if at least 80% of the users didn't read it. A lot of people don't read ads on the internet, just like Guri. I just saw the x and closed out, no reading. Nothing against the shirt, it was just large, haha.

If you up the rate of sending them, my brain will go into autopilot on them too.

It is pretty rare for us to send out mass emails. Don't think that is going to change too soon because as you said, if you overdo it, people begin to ignore them. Same thing with large notices like the T-Shirt notice. I am just surprised by how many people (not just you) who didn't see either 1) the text stating you could remove the notice or 2) the big red X in the upper right corner...

Alright guys, hopefully we have the ad locations corrected. If you were getting the three stacked rows of ads that looked like what Lonnie posted above, it should now be resolved. Please let us know if anyone is still seeing the odd stacking. Thanks for your patience!

To be honest, I got the e-mail and read it, muttered to myself ("huh, that's neat.") and closed the mesage.

Then... I got on the RPF, and there was a picture of the shirt in Big Ad. I remembered the e-mail, and promptly ignored the ad. Browsed as usual. After maybe 15 minutes or so, I wondered to myself "huh, I wonder if I can get rid of this ad?" and took a closer look at it, noticed the red X, and clicked it. Nary another thought. No biggie.

If you're tracking the referral clicks, I'd be interested to see the numbers of people buying from the e-mail as opposed to the Big Ad. I think we've gotten used to the big block 'o advertising up there, for the most part.

I know I've pretty much mentally insulated myself from web advertising at this point.

Now, if I were to encounter an ad that induced an epileptic seizure, I might be impressed enough to click on it. Or just accidentally click, if I am having said seizure.

Another suggestion could be to have one of those invisible popup ads where the girl walks across the bottom of your screen and then hangs out down there, tantalizing you to click on her.. tantacles. Maybe dressed in a female Iron Man costume or something, to keep it interesting.

If you're tracking the referral clicks, I'd be interested to see the numbers of people buying from the e-mail as opposed to the Big Ad. I think we've gotten used to the big block 'o advertising up there, for the most part.

While we track our ads, we aren't tracking notices (the big shirt notice was not a typical ad and didn't go through our ad system), but I can tell you that the notice went out before the email and generated a lot more shirt sales than the email. The email was more for the Weta Contest and we just threw the shirt in at the end for good measure.

I know I've pretty much mentally insulated myself from web advertising at this point.

Ad blindness is a tough thing because it makes it harder and harder for us to get your attention (as a whole, not individually) when we have something we feel the community needs to see, which is a bit of a shame, but that is just life.

Now, if I were to encounter an ad that induced an epileptic seizure, I might be impressed enough to click on it. Or just accidentally click, if I am having said seizure.

Another suggestion could be to have one of those invisible popup ads where the girl walks across the bottom of your screen and then hangs out down there, tantalizing you to click on her.. tantacles. Maybe dressed in a female Iron Man costume or something, to keep it interesting.

:lol:lol:lol Don't tempt me. No, seriously, I don't think we will be doing any overlays or pop-ups.

Art,

Thanks to you and the team for taking care of this so quickly. I really appreciate it! I've checked it out and everything looks better (two lines of ads now instead of three!).

Thanks!!

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back