Tim Burton's Alice In Wonderland Costumes

I've been following this thread on-and-off since it started, but now that I'm looking into replicating the boots and pants, going through 116 pages seems a bit daunting.

I've got good photos of the boots, but a few details on the pants elude me. Especially the "piping" down the left leg. What the heck is that? It looks like lace sticking out of the seam. Am I seeing it correctly?

If anyone would like to e-mail me to help with this let me know as I'm sure a lot of you guys have already gone over these details plenty before and I'd hate to clog up this thread with redundant information.

Thanks,
Magnoli

yeah its lace coming out of the seam. there is also a ribbon that covers the seam. i can send you some picutres to your email if you like
just send me a PM

I can honestly say I've been through every page of this thread. It was awhile ago, though, and I need a little help with the beginnings of my own Hatter costume!

Where did everyone find their hatpins? The ones who made their own, I mean. I'm going to try and make them out of clay, but the pins themselves are eluding me. I've looked at Hobby Lobby, Michaels, Hancocks, and some local beading stores, but I haven't found any at all. Is there any place I could find them offline? I know where I can online, but I would have to wait some time for them.

I can honestly say I've been through every page of this thread. It was awhile ago, though, and I need a little help with the beginnings of my own Hatter costume!

Where did everyone find their hatpins? The ones who made their own, I mean. I'm going to try and make them out of clay, but the pins themselves are eluding me. I've looked at Hobby Lobby, Michaels, Hancocks, and some local beading stores, but I haven't found any at all. Is there any place I could find them offline? I know where I can online, but I would have to wait some time for them.

Kimpie, I bought mine from Fire Mountain Gems and received them in three days after placing my order. I was not able to find ANY place in Ohio or Michigan that sold these pins in store, so I opted for the online route. You can get them at the link below...

Stick Pin Findings - Fire Mountain Gems and Beads

I used the 8" and 5" ones. Hope that helps :)

At Jo-Ann's fabrics there are some crochet needles in 4 packs i think... anyways i used those for the metal pin part. good luck :)

Ooooh, thanks for the reminder (even though I'm not Chad)! :thumbsup
I should finally get back to my Alice coat and ric rac skirt.

bluecoat13.jpg
:love
bluecoat14.jpg

I had discarded the whole project while moving to the USA...:rolleyes

Yahoo!!! Got an Alice wig for a photoshoot this Spring. :D
awig.jpg

I feel like it's almost perfect and will add that extra oomph to the costumes. :D Hoping on finishing Um this week! It's currently in limbo with just a skirt half finished.

AND it was a whopping $35. NICE.

Ladies who made their White Queen costume, did you use a pattern as a basis for the costume, if so what style did you use. I am just about to embark on my one and have to make it pretty quick!

Thanks
Jo :)

aelynn - That wig looks great!

Xenajo - For White Queen I altered a corset I had made for a previous costume. The original corset/stay pattern I used was Butterick 4254. (On pattern it was corset/stay 'A' but I cut off the straps and altered the bottom, although if you want to be super accurate the back of her bodice doesn't lace up like mine does)
For the sheer area of the sleeves I used a long sleeve shirt pattern I had already and tweaked it. For the sleeve 'poofs' I used a figure skating sleeve pattern as a guide and made it a little bigger, adding elastic to the top and bottom.
As for the skirt, I'd say any large prom dressy/wedding or historical skirt pattern would work. And if it isn't full enough can always add in extra panels. (I think mine was a wedding dress pattern that originally had a train, since hers has a bit of a train, I just shortened it slightly)

I hope that made sense! :)

aelynn - That wig looks great!

Xenajo - For White Queen I altered a corset I had made for a previous costume. The original corset/stay pattern I used was Butterick 4254. (On pattern it was corset/stay 'A' but I cut off the straps and altered the bottom, although if you want to be super accurate the back of her bodice doesn't lace up like mine does)
For the sheer area of the sleeves I used a long sleeve shirt pattern I had already and tweaked it. For the sleeve 'poofs' I used a figure skating sleeve pattern as a guide and made it a little bigger, adding elastic to the top and bottom.
As for the skirt, I'd say any large prom dressy/wedding or historical skirt pattern would work. And if it isn't full enough can always add in extra panels. (I think mine was a wedding dress pattern that originally had a train, since hers has a bit of a train, I just shortened it slightly)

I hope that made sense! :)

Very much thanks so much for the help! :)

YAY! WIG IS HERE! I think it might be TOO curly... will probably try to relax the curls a little bit. But I love the color!

al.jpg

Full speed ahead on my collection of Alice dresses! I finally have my muchness for inspiration! XD

Congrats to Colleen Atwood for winning an Oscar for Best Costumes! That should be our inspiration to PUSH ON!!!!!!

<Although she didn't seem very excited during her thank you speech.... I guess when you already have two what is another Golden Statue, savvy?>

After reading through all 116 pages twice, I'd just like to say that I'm AMAZED at everyone's incredible costumes. It's truly inspiring, bravo. *applauds* ^_^

It's also nice to know that there's others that are as nit-picky about detail as I am, ahaha. Which is why I come to you all for help. :p

I'm in the process of making the red "Um" dress. (probably wasn't the greatest idea to try to make this as a first dress, but oh well.) Anywho, it's getting close to completion but I'm stumped on the ruffled/frayed bit around the edges. I've looked at a million reference photos, pondered it for hours, but no matter what I try it just doesn't look "right". I can't, for the life of me, figure out exactly how it was done. It appears to be gathered, sewn on to the ribbon diagonally, cut along the black every other stripe, cut at an angle along the edge, then folded and sewn to the piece above it... if that makes any sense. It's more pronounced on the upper body strap piece, but I think it generally has the same effect all around. But then I'll look at it again, and it'll appear as if it isn't pinned or anything, which makes me wonder how the heck it's staying at a angle. Ugh, I don't know. It's driving me insane, it appears simple but it's not turning out the way I'd hoped it would. :\

So... do you guys have any ideas on how this was done?

atll55.jpg

Alice+wonderland+red+queen+palace+costume.jpg

K0176-FIDM-1983.JPG.jpeg

Also, any advice on what to use for the rope? I've looked EVERYWHERE for drapery rope, but the only thing I found that somewhat resembled it was a foot long curtain binder, hmph. At first I just settled on braiding yard and gold thread together, but now I don't think I'll ever be happy with that "fuzzy" look the yarn has. Is there a special name for rope with that silky/shiny/smooth look to it?

Is it possible that the dress on the actress is different than the dress on the mannequin?

Or maybe it's just the way that the dress hugs the actress, as if she's tinier, that makes the ruffle appear more pleated on the ribbon or bunched up than the other two images.

It almost looks to me as if she was wearing some sort of bodice underneath that they attached the dress to in order to get a snug fit, where as on the mannequin they merely pulled it tight across the chest.

For the rope - do you have a Jo Mar near you? The one we have has a huge selection of chords.

Can't wait to see your work! Have you taken and in progress photos you can share? :D

Hello friends! I'm Pedro, from Spain! I have read all posts and I learned a lot from you!

Thank you very much!

I'm starting to make me mad hatter costume!

Regards!

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back