Tourists kidnapped in Tunisia

Re: TK409 in Tunisia.... as C-3PO

Chris--

Though the opportunity was cool, I think you're far better off not going at this point in time. For Episode 2, I was in Tunisia and traveling to Matmata exactly one year before the events of 9/11. That went through my mind a lot--what if we were there when those events took place?

Let's also not forget about the innocent people that were caught up in this mess...

--Don Bies

Unfortunately, Al Qaeda put the brakes on the Tunisia trip. Man, terrorists have the worst timing. See first post.

Re: TK409 in Tunisia.... with Al Qaeda???

Chris you definitely made the right decision, nothing is worth that much of a risk, I have a friend out there right now and its a very worrying time, you will get your chance though buddy :thumbsup

Chris you definitely made the right decision, nothing is worth that much of a risk, I have a friend out there right now and its a very worrying time, you will get your chance though buddy :thumbsup

Man, I'm sorry to hear that. But you made the right decision. Last summer, I was supposed to go on a 7-week excavation in Lebanon (I'm an archaeology student) but when the violences in the refugee camps erupted, and politicians got killed, I pulled out. Even though the rest of the team went there, and nothing happened to them, I felt I couldn't do it. Better be sorry for a missed opportunity, than not being able to be sorry because you're dead.

The Middle East and the Maghreb are such beautiful places and I love everything oriental (my girlfriend is Algerian) but I hate the fact that extremists ruin it all, even for people who are neutral...

You made the best descision Chris. Don't let it get you down buddy.Theres always another adventure just around the corner. And if ANYONE can find it ,its you:)

Chris, I am sorry this opportunity didn't come through. Your safety and the saftey of the others is more important, as you said. Hopefully, sometime soon, peace will be found, and Tunisia can open it's arms to tourism again.

Our prayers are with the hostages.

Hey Chris, I got an idea, let me bring my LAV-25 with you guys and I'll snipe those little buggers for you " AT NO CHARGE " Nothing like a little HE to get the morning going. :love C

Hey Chris, I got an idea, let me bring my LAV-25 with you guys and I'll snipe those little buggers for you " AT NO CHARGE " Nothing like a little HE to get the morning going. :love C

Sold! :)

lav-25-dvic374.jpg

Wow. Total bummer, but as everyone else has said; you have made the right decision. Star Wars is a passion and a hobby but not worth your life. Sorry to hear this all the same.

Wow. Total bummer, but as everyone else has said; you have made the right decision. Star Wars is a passion and a hobby but not worth your life. Sorry to hear this all the same.

What he said! :thumbsup

It does suck, but you are making the right descision.

Guess you just have to work on the real functioning C-3PX upgrades and you'll be good to go into hostile territory.

Bummer but it is definitely not worth any amount of risk to you or your traveling mates.

Better luck with whatever your next big opportunity ends up being!

Indeed. Even if there wasn't a war going on, checking your car or taxi for a bomb underneath every time you walk outside is one heck of a reality check that no one needs. Al Qaeda probably hates droids too, stay safe.

Man, this is freaky... and horrible. The Missus has been wanting to travel more so today while driving home I got to thinking of this thread (the original trip) and remembered that she had mentioned Tunisia before as a possible destination. So... I started half-dreaming up pseudo-plans to maybe suggest this trip (and get myself a nice geeky Jedi robe or something for photos).

Now I just jumped into the costume section and see this turn of events. Wow. Someone really needs to invent an anti-terrorism virus. :angry

You did the right thing... stay safe to be geeky another day! :thumbsup

Hey we Jawas never swipe... we just "find" things. ;)

However, I do hope Wook is ok, I had the pleasure of trooping with him in Philadelphia a couple of years ago.

Please let us know when you hear from him again TK409.

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back