Transformers, Rise of the Beasts

torren_of_amber

Hello all. Forgive me if there's a thread for this, but I didn't find one yet.
Has anyone seen this one and if so, what did you think of it and was it better than the last few Bay ones?
And yes, I'm old enough I remember G1 Transformers and love robot wrestling so, I'm hoping it's more like Bumblebee than the last few Bay movies.
Thanks for reading this and I hope you guys throw th tomatoes slow enough I can dodge them! Hahaha.

Bumblebee is still arguably the best crafted movie, but man, this one might be my favorite. It's filled with elements that hit all of my buttons, from Optimus and Airazor getting actual character arcs, to the giant robot animals, and the overall theme of "trust."

I wasn't expecting to like it at all based on the chaotic trailers and the advanced press, but this one is far, far better than any of the Bay movies. It actually likes its characters, for one, and both the humor and sincere moments land.

Dad wanted to see this one for Father's Day, so he and I went together. Fairly well packed auditorium, and the movie was pretty decent. If people get anything out of this, at least they get exposed to some good 90s era rap.

I saw it last week. Couldn't wait to get out of there. For me and the people I went with, It was one gigantic ghetto nightmare. Bumble bee was a great movie, This was a turd in comparison. Even the end scene was an eye roll for us.

Kids and I saw this today. I thought it was pretty good overall. I liked that we got a main character TF that wasn’t Bumblebee for a change, and I thought that Mirage and Noah had pretty good chemistry.

I would have liked some more exposition on the Maximals, and I really wish they’d have had them pause after transforming, so we could get a decent look at Cheetor and Rhinox in bot mode.

I also wasn’t clear on the Transwarp facility- was it always there, embedded in the mountain? Did the key generate it? Did Unicron create it?

I was surprised by the GI Joe tie-in, I presumed that Noah was gonna get a job with Sector 7. Although the giant empty hangar with a vaguely alien pod thing didn’t say GI Joe to me. Maybe fill it with scifi-ish jets and tanks?

Kids and I saw this today. I thought it was pretty good overall. I liked that we got a main character TF that wasn’t Bumblebee for a change, and I thought that Mirage and Noah had pretty good chemistry.

I would have liked some more exposition on the Maximals, and I really wish they’d have had them pause after transforming, so we could get a decent look at Cheetor and Rhinox in bot mode.
I found it enjoyable as well, although while it seems to be set in the Bumblebee timeline, it doesn't quite seem to jive with Bumblebee to me for some reason. I think that it mainly comes from the Autobots that we saw, I don't recall there being any other Autobots in Bumblebee besides Bee himself. But that could be just my faulty memory.

I also agree on the Maximals and a bit more of them in their bot form. I thought that it was curious how they spent almost the entire movie in their "beast" modes. Then when we finally see them transform, they only spend a brief time in their bot form before they go right back to "beast" mode. I would have liked to have seen them spend more time in bot mode, since they're fully CG creations, it would have been the same amount of work to show them in bot mode as opposed to the Autobots who could be shown in vehicle mode with real cars for less time, money, and effort than it would showing them in bot mode.

Peter Cullen. ;)

Frank Welker was Megatron.
Yes Peter Cullen. I swear I knew that lol. Otherwise I need my 80's child card revoked. And I did notice that Frank Welker wasn't playing Megatron either which I think gave me that brain fart because I do have a habit of mixing up their names. I'm also posting in the middle of work so I'm trying to type fast lol.

Last edited:
Just saw this movie...the family liked it and thought it was enjoyable due to action packed and the humor of Mirage. I, however, had a tough time with it(not a surprise) due to the fact that, outside of Peter Cullen voicing Optimus Prime, that was simply not Optimus Prime...just another shell of a once great Leader of the Autobots that sulked in shame for most of the movie and was grumpy and treated humans in a way G1 Prime never would. I hear that we may be getting the first animated Transformers movie since the '86 Movie(Greatest Animated movie of all time with the greatest soundtrack in an animated movie as well). It is supposed to be a prequel based on Cybertron(here we go again). Just hope they don't try to rewrite the story we already got in the G1 Cartoon, but i've got a bad feeling about this.

I saw it and thought it was pretty good. It wasn't perfect, but for a Transformers movie, it's certainly better than your average Bay explosion-fest.
yeah, it was way better than the other Bayformers movies but no Frank Welker Megatron?...and the Decepticons always look so "Bayish" still. Mirage and Optimus Prime looked good. Arcee looked the most G1. Wish they would take all the swearing out...it does absolutely nothing to help the film.
Scourge? Really? He was such a wimp in G1...they might as well of put Rumble as the leader...felt weird to me. Like Ron said, i'm not ready to see Peter Cullen's Prime leave...no one is. I will say even though i cried as a kid when Optimus Prime died, i loved Hot Rod so much and Rodimus Prime quickly grew on me. Who could follow in Optimus Prime's footsteps though? They tried so hard to address that elephant in the room that they created that they made Rodimus a very vulnerable and relateable leader that sort of worked but didn't because they carried it way too far. Oops!! Atleast they made an attempt to fix it. I never liked Beast Wars so that didn't help my overrall enjoyment of the movie. I never understood why they had the need to move away from vehicles...which are always going to be around and change to some extent so it's been, in my opinion, the greatest toy line of all-time or maybe second to Lego's as a creative idea.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back