Unused Voyager Tricorder build... Tis FINISHED!<<< Or is it!?

tpPxVsw.jpg

lcSD7ub.jpg

tsT4WzJ.jpg

A7Coibh.jpg
lEw1VoF.jpg

So its nearly done now... But its not perfect still... Some errors to note... Ive been using a my own mix of acrylic paints to airbrush, and while i do shake it, they separate in the jar, and even after shaking they slightly separate in the airbrush too... And its most noticeable on the bottom of the door where the shade isnt perfectly matched... This undercoat is also incredibly fragile, tbh painting this thing has been a right pain and I think i might just go with a close match rattle can in the future If i make any more....

Also really frustrating, another led has died. Though its not an important one. I have those two side leds, the left one works but I just realised this morning that the right one has stopped working... Again I can only assume a solder joint has failed. D:

But because its relatively minor im going to just ignore that one.

Whats left? Well theres a couple of decals missing still. The ID the top one above the pwr button and the TCR-blah door.... Those ill prolly get one done today.

I still want to add some dirt onto the thing, to make it look like it was actually used for 7 years in the delta quadrant, going through all the battles and coming out the other end, Dont think ill do actual damage or scratches. Just a bit of grunge.

I also need to finish the software. The arduino is still running my basic led chase I made for v1. I need to program in multiple modes, get the capacative buttons to work and get the LCD to interact with the arduino... Oh and get the sound board talking to the arduino too, as well as get the reed switch thats wired for software triggering to function so it turns on and off when opening and closing. Oh and of course get that to turn into deep sleep mode when off.

Of course at this stage I still have NO idea if the capacative buttons are even going to work... Im putting a lot of assumptions on the capacative touch modules I have installed. But all the tightly packed wires and electrpnics will likely throw them off... so who knows...

As the hardwork is now software i estimate this to take roughly a month to do... as long as nothing else breaks.

What a great masterpiece you've built. It's an amazing piece seen from a concept drawing to an actual build. I think HMS studios & Rick Sternbach would be vey impressed with your work of art. I'm hoping to see this all finished up. You're talent with the electronics are phenomenal. Way beyond my less than beginner skills!

It's a true masterpiece & a true voyager fan work of art!

Looking forward to your next post of your work!

I'm with ripley on this one: this thing is a masterpiece. The well-established, screen-accurate TNG era Trics kits are hard enough to do right and that's with the electronics already developed in a drop-in setup, this thing is in a class of its own...

progress on the capacative buttons. one thing I didnt mention in the video is how glad I am theyre at least registering even though theyre not fully working yet. I really had my doubts that the capacative buttons would even work... So wooooo :) There will be some more interaction with the prop

Ok this is probably going to be my last little update

Dont worry ive not abandoned the project....... Im just that close to finishing it :D

Right So heres whats happening. The buttons are now fully working... Ive added some more stuff to the display... All thats left is to script some key events, and to make a few alternative scanning mode led sequences to go with some of the screen graphics.... And script what happens when you press the emergency button.

Oh and fit the last couple of decals and hatch over the battery....

In any case, I can see this finished in less than 2 weeks... If not in less than a week... So no more little updates till I make a big final video...

So yep... Very nearly done now :D Woooo

Well ummm update................

It's done!

Well kinda.... Programming complete!

All i got to do now is paint on some grime weathering.... It was heavily used during its time in the delta quadrant.

No pics or vids yet. But I'll get a comprehensive video done showing all the features uploaded before the weekend.....

Anyway woooooooooohoooooooooooo its finally done!

That is so amazing! Star Trek props WISH they had that level of functionality! This is as close as you can get to a functioning Tricorder. I can't express enough how awesome this is. So jealous!!!!

I mean....holy moly. Having just built two tricorders from kits, and knowing the work that went into those....this is just on another level.

We're not worthy!! We're not worthy!!

Amazing job - congrats!!

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back