Warehouse 13 Farnsworth brass faceplates, full Farnsworth, stands

Kukulcan

Interest in Warehouse 13 items sure has slowed down, so I am curious if there is still interest at all in Farnsworth faceplates, full Farnsworthes or Artie's Farnsworth stand.

I am about to receive a prototype for a laser cut brass faceplate (1.5mm) soon and will order some more then - maybe with needed modifications (thickness, changes to the recessed scale).

Price would be about 40€ (plus shipping from Germany, PayPal fees, maybe some $60 total for the US).

Edit: Should the water cut and CNC milled prototype work out, the price for a faceplate will rather be about $99.00 due to low quantities.

I have also bought/orderered another 4 Wheatley Boxes and all original parts for another 4 Farnsworthes besides my own. I would ask $299 for them and they should be just as perfect looking as it gets. The first 4 people on the list would buy them only if they believe the finished product is worth the price. I would then do extra ones (with a deposit) if there is interest for at least 5 more (50% deposit for those extra ones).

I have had made Artie's stand by a friend, which is a good "close enough", I could ask for more and maybe to make it as perfectly screeen matched as possible, no idea about price.

Finally I am building my own Farnsworth with a working screen, playing a dozen different videos. Not even sure if it works out, there are still some caveats. Should someone be interested, they won't go for less than $799 and I would ask a 50% deposit.

Edit: After quite some prototyping I know the final parts costs and the working display version would go for $599,00

As I said, just gauging interest, no commitment or deposits needed anytime soon.

Attachments

• the_stand.jpg
    the_stand.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 354
Last edited:
Interest in Warehouse 13 items sure has slowed down, so I am curious if there is still interest at all in Farnsworth faceplates, full Farnsworthes or Artie's Farnsworth stand.

I am about to receive a prototype for a laser cut brass faceplate (1.5mm) soon and will order some more then - maybe with needed modifications (thickness, changes to the recessed scale).

Price would be about 40€ (plus shipping from Germany, PayPal fees, maybe some $60 total for the US).

I have also bought/orderered another 4 Wheatley Boxes and all original parts for another 4 Farnsworthes besides my own. I would ask $299 for them and they should be just as perfect looking as it gets. The first 4 people on the list would buy them only if they believe the finished product is worth the price. I would then do extra one (with a deposit) if there is interest for at least 5 more (50% deposit for those extra ones).

I have had made Artie's stand by a friend, which is a good "close enough", I could ask for more and maybe to make it as perfectly screeen matched as possible, no idea about price.

Finally I am building my own Farnsworth with a working screen, playing a dozen different videos. Not even sure if it works out, there are still some caveats. Should someone be interested, they won't go for less than $799 and I would ask a 50% deposit.

As I said, just gauging interest, no commitment or deposits needed anytime soon.
Hi, I still have interest in Warehouse 13 props. I am having problems getting a faceplate that I like. I had a nice brass one cut for size and positioning but no engravings. Now I have one being cut and engraved but the cutting company's restrictions will leave it with some inaccuracies with the number scale around the center knob. I have 2 Wheatley boxes and 2 Wheatley knockoff boxes that are cheaper but correct size and shape. All the other parts I have multiples of because most of the time the were packaged that way. I would like to have the most accurate faceplate to match to my Wheatleys. I would be interested in seeing some pictures of yours after you have finalized it.

Cutting brass with a laser is no more problem, but engraving it seems to be as it becomes very hot or very expensive doing it slow enough. They promised I get a prototype this week anyway, but it is a bigger company where I don‘t have high priority with my small numbers.

If it doesn‘t work out I will probably try photo edging.

Cutting brass with a laser is no more problem, but engraving it seems to be as it becomes very hot or very expensive doing it slow enough. They promised I get a prototype this week anyway, but it is a bigger company where I don‘t have high priority with my small numbers.

If it doesn‘t work out I will probably try photo edging.
I want to try to get at least 2 screen accurate versions on my Wheatley boxes. My spare parts are going on the knock off boxes and I believe I will do them up like as either later versions or variants in the same universe. I have even thought of doing a competitor version. RCA and Westinghouse were his rivals.

I have also bought/orderered another 4 Wheatley Boxes and all original parts for another 4 Farnsworthes besides my own. I would ask $299 for them and they should be just as perfect looking as it gets. The first 4 people on the list would buy them only if they believe the finished product is worth the price. I would then do extra one (with a deposit) if there is interest for at least 5 more (50% deposit for those extra ones).

I would be interested in completed Farnsworths, send me a message to discuss.

Well my laser cut and and marked faceplate did not turn out well. The laser etching is so faint that it looks like a transfer. If I buff it too much it would be gone.

Well my laser cut and and marked faceplate did not turn out well. The laser etching is so faint that it looks like a transfer. If I buff it too much it would be gone.
That‘s the problem I am facing too. The edging is 0.5mm, which is done by 30 laser scan runs. They just refuse to do 150 or more because they say it is not economic - ignoring my willingness to pay for it.

That‘s the problem I am facing too. The edging is 0.5mm, which is done by 30 laser scan runs. They just refuse to do 150 or more because they say it is not economic - ignoring my willingness to pay for it.
I am not out of options yet. There is a local engraving service that I am going to take the 2 faceplates and see what it would take to do it the old fashion way. I have also designed a new 2 piece face plate with a number plate that mounts underneath the face plate on the knob posts with the numbers cut out instead of engraved. I did the lines around the clear dome crystal on the main faceplate but could not get the Farnsworth logo to cut out like that.
The cool side to this is you can just cover them from behind to look engraved or back light them to show up in low light.

I am not out of options, but it is quite hard to find someone doing traditional engraving on your existing item.

Mounting the dial under the faceplate makes it sit too low, I have a sample coming where the dial is cut out and I will just place it half a millimeter recessed. But I'd prefer to have the compelete circle laser engraved too. Problem is, the laser scanning doesn't leave smooth surface.

Thought about having the numbers and radio waves cut out, but you always face the problem to place the interior circles of numbers like '8' again, which is really far from a perfect solution.

I am not out of options, but it is quite hard to find someone doing traditional engraving on your existing item.

Mounting the dial under the faceplate makes it sit too low, I have a sample coming where the dial is cut out and I will just place it half a millimeter recessed. But I'd prefer to have the compelete circle laser engraved too. Problem is, the laser scanning doesn't leave smooth surface.

Thought about having the numbers and radio waves cut out, but you always face the problem to place the interior circles of numbers like '8' again, which is really far from a perfect solution.
I am happier with the new design but I have been researching gravers to do it myself and also looking at doing it as a metal stamp and pressing it in.
The laser marked and cut is on the left costed me $68 the 2 pieces laser cut on the right costed me $17.50 total ( These I plan to backlight in warm white like old radios dials) Other added improvements are I enlarged the holes for the red light lens and knobs & push button to fit my parts without having to hand file them out.
Love this show and this prop but I think I have reached my point where I have spent enough time and money on R&D and will have to do with the parts I have right now. I like my two piece faceplate best and it's way cheaper. So I will build on those and my 2 other prototype faceplates will up for sale somewhere.

Attachments

• IMG_1441.jpg
    IMG_1441.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_1443.jpg
    IMG_1443.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:
I love that small extra part going under the main part. But the 4mm total will be a problem for my version with working electronics. Also 2mm recessed is too deep for the scale. And the numbers still need to be engraved anyway. I finally decided I will not go for "close enough" and I got another offer for cutting/engraving from a single source.

Will keep you updated, keeping my hopes low for now - harder than I thought to find someone doing this in a screen accurate way.

At least my TFT is on the way after being held in Shanghai for a month.

I have updated the original post (prices). I am making progress on the working screen version but finding someone to make the perfect faceplates is still a huge problem. Looks like anybody with some mechanical skills/tools is more than busy right now.

The first (serious) prototype faceplate is here. Water cut and engraved using CNC milling.

The scale is recessed 0.5mm as well as numbers, radiowaves and lettering. Will change to 0.8mm recessed and go for maybe 0.3mm for lettering and numbers, so they look a little finer/smaller. Radiowaves are just perfect as is.

AAED053B-0FC2-475C-8C9C-56F67FF4F50D.jpeg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back