[WIP] Artorias Cosplay

Arthipex

Hey everyone!

After having completed a couple of costumes, I feel confident enough to try something I wanted to do for quite a while. I'm talking about an Artorias costume from the video game Dark Souls. There are already a couple of these costumes around, but I feel like I can do better.
The one in the picture below is made by McKilligan, and I think it's absolutely stunning! Since there isn't a lot of usable reference material, I will probably use his work as a guideline and set it as a quality standard I try to achieve. Also, he found nice ways to distress armor and coat, which I will probably adapt. No need to re-invent the wheel and a lot of credit for this to him ;)

ccf6737689fd7d75b20dfab13b894fb3.jpg

It's currently half past three in the morning and I've made enough progress today that might be worth showing. I'm planning on making all the armor parts of 3, 5, and 10mm EVA foam.

I started with the helmet, since this is probably the most complex part of the armor and it will hopefully give me an impression of what I'm dealing with here. After having already screwed up at making a helmet pattern twice, I decided to download a suitable pepakura-file, glued it to 5mm EVA foam, cut it out and glued everything together using contact cement. Afterwards, the helmet was covered in masking tape, on which the more or less freestyle pattern was drawn. The parts that are supposed to stand out a little were then cut out using an exacto knive. This way I got some templates, which allowed me to cut out the needed 3mm foam pieces.

masking tape2.jpgmasking tape3.jpgmasking tape4.jpg

Those were then glued to the helmet.

unspecified.jpgunspecified2.jpgunspecified3.jpgunspecified4.jpg

Sorry for the bad quality lighting of the pictures, but it's dark outside and the lamp of my room combined with the flash of my phone makes the three-dimensional effect of the detailing disappear. Tomorrow, I will finish the other half of the helmet, sand down rough edges, do some slight corrections and give it some body filler.

Let me know, if you have any suggestions or advices.

Until then, stay tuned ;)

Chris

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back