[WIP] Maleficent- cheek prosthetics page 5, molds of all the things in progress!

Re: Maleficent 2014! Christening gown done, battle wings a gogo!

Thank you :)

Finally today, coveralls. Which means being able to get splashy with the resin :) I also got some materials to help make my wings. They may wind up slightly smaller than the movie ones just so I can wear them properly.

And I did decide to get the shoes instead ;) I may though be replacing the heel only so I can have more movie accurate proportions :)

Thank you :)

I just had some potentially bad news, and puts my "crash" at the end of the D*C 2012 parade in to perspective... I do have mildly lowered cortisol levels. Not low enough to explain my day to day tiredness, but it does kind of explain why I get in such a bad state after a big load of physical or mental stress. At those times I am not producing enough and not getting enough synthetic cortisol. So looking back over the last few years I have come very close indeed to dangerous levels.

This basically means I need to get more tests and also see what can be done about this (most people my age have to worry about increasing blood pressure and raising cortisol levels, so.. yay?) One of which will be to avoid circumstances that are extremely stressful.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Addison's_disease
Not at emergency levels! But low enough that I need to account for it more than I have been.

But this also means I need to be happy ;) No really, so this project continues. Other projects may get put on hold or have a timeframe removed :)

My boots arrived :) So nice to have a rubber heel cap! Plastic heel ends slip and catch these should help me be stable. The heel though scoots in so that the end is slightly too far in. A heel that goes straight down at the back is super stable even when very narrow. But as soon as that base moves further in under the foot it gets difficult. So I probably will replace the heel :) But the upper is wonderful. A wonderful fit and shape.

Woot! changing of steroid intake has upped my blood pressure but reduced my heart rate which is good! Also my fabric for the bodysuit has landed in NZ and it should be here in hand tomorrow (nervous). I also snaggled a Maleficent Disney doll for slightly less than in store which is amazing as I can't get her shipped here otherwise. The box is damaged but who cares! The doll is fine :)

Also I disassembled the strappy sandals and new boots and they fit together! Higher heels, wider platform and a fitted upper! Just need to glue them together. Found the screws for the heels :) I did have to trim down the inner sole but this is all fine and easy.

Also feather test one has been a success! Papery feel like the real thing, water proof and with a surface texture of beauty! I'll be able to make the wing support the way I wanted and have it be light but durable :) So the next step is to calculate how many feathers I actually need.

Battle bodysuit fabric has arrived! It's beautiful and definitely full 4 way stretch :)

And I managed to score "silk" velvet for the overgown for a very reasonable price here in NZ :) 11m for the price of 7m. Photos of both tomorrow because I am having a moment from Seinfeld and wanting to roll myself up in the velvet.

And I did see the movie again today. Darned Imax screening didn't happen though. It was a smaller screen than last time so no seeing many details. Oh sigh, for a contact at Digital Domain who made the badass CGI of her in full for this scene :) The low res videos online already show heaps of detail and I managed to even spot some seams that were included in at least one frame of an exclusive video.

What I did see confirmed the tabbard is two parts- gown and train, the train is very cunningly cut so it shows as a fold. I thought it was solely a choice made for the racing to the castle scene but you also see that separation when she falls in the castle.

I wish more behind the scenes footage would come out, if not that the DVD/Blu Ray is packed with this sort of goodie :) Might have to look in to getting a player for my comp.

Also small costume sell off so as to fund this project.

I was going to sand some more of my headcast but I really need 80 grit to chomp through the folds of the bald cap and then scuff up the areas I need to bog over. So tomorrow I'll grab some. Did find two respirators and a surfeit of filters so I can at least see if they work better with the new goggles (atm I am getting moisture in behind my goggles.)

And I need to recast my ears. I finally freed the molds and they look great. Escept the weight of the molds folded my ears down. Soo.... Alginate in my ears tomorrow too. ANd a photo of the headcast :) I should have mixed the resin with black but hey, it does at least work :) Even if freaky at not quite flesh colour.

Moors robe fabric already in my stash! Then velvet I managed to get on sale. Leather I also got on sale (need to strip the brown coating off.) MJ Trends stretch matte PVC. It has a skin texture! hooray!

sm_DSC_0566-300x213.jpg

sm_DSC_0562-168x300.jpg
sm_DSC_0564-157x300.jpg

So today I finally got some filler on the head cast to be almost ready to start making my appliances :) And I started draping the pattern for the velvet :) Next step is to find an equally reasonable source for lining the tabbard and cloak.

Mouse sander has paid for itself already :) Got the head cast smoothed back, backfilled and shoved on a spike/pipe. And now a thick coat of PVA over the entire thing as I decided to make a one off set of horns. I can then decide if I want to make a mold.

I also have the Disney store doll :) She is beautiful, though she, Elsa, and Zam keep swapping props and costumes... And the battle doll is on her way :) Hoping like heck she has a few correct seams as the view I desperately need will not be possible to get until the Blu Ray comes out. Which is being slated as November. Just a month after I need to make the thing. okay.

Reasonable lining fabric found! A super soft semi stretch charmeuse. It's fake but hey. I have idyePoly to darken it from the really rich barely brown tone. The pattern I drafted above works! And now I'm trying to pattern the cloak. It's frustrating as the darn thing needs to fold and drape to blend in with the robe. But I am pretty certain of my current pattern for the robe so there is that :) I just need to drape until the folds work the way I want.

The boots are still in multiple pieces as I still need to plan how to make the rigid heel decoration. Not under the arch but as part of the upper.

Came to theRPF to start Maleficent costume research. Thank you for this thread so helpful, everything in it! I am still on the hunt for the perfect fabric to make her christening gown. I fear I will have to add in all those pleats myself if I want it to be totally accurate which I do. From the looks of the costume, which I saw on display at the El Capitan theater in Hollywood when I saw the movie, it looks to made of a sheer chiffon and pleated on top of the thick canvas type lining. I looked inside the sleeve very closely too, this is what I saw.

From what I can tell the original fabric is pleated by the arashi shibori technique, and I just do not have the means to make uninterupted pleats like the original (I bought silk to do so, sold off half of it!) It's achieved by wrapping fabric around a pipe then wire over that and the fabric pushed down- this creates the rounded outer fold and more acute inner crease.
Problem is the restriction of the amount of fabric you can evenly pleat in one go like that. It would need to be a drum sized pipe to get a good length of maybe two at most three layers of fabric, otherwise you start getting the diagonal or horizontal interruptions like you see in hand pleated fabrics. And to be honest I have a gown of 23m of silk (Mina's red dress) and it's difficult enough to take care of that! At least on top of the armour and ridiculous headpieces and just way too much generally. At least with Mina and my historic gear I can iron pleats out. It's time cumsuming but doable, even in an hotel room ;)

I'm not looking forward to storing my velvet tabbard :/ but I can at least turn it inside out and iron, or steam.

Currently waiting on my first layer of fibreglass to cure on my headcast. Very excited to get back to sculpting again. I'll be direct modeling in epoxy filler. Woot, just got back and my fibreglass is nearly cured, and the horns are cut back enough to stick them on :) Daily antihistamines have also meant I can work with the stuff :) XD

And one the horns are on I can also tidy the face and start sculpting the cheeks. Have not yet had the courage to attempt to cast my ears again. But I should.

BTW the gown is now in the UK and I have a pile of replacement fabric but it will be done after, well after this tabbard and bodysuit gig.

Oh! I did also cut the base of my Spanx-esque undergarment to wear under this and Elsa and even Mina. So it will have to be relatively adjustable. I used my old Pink Diamonds bodice and will add in bust cups once I have the piece assembled. It'll have a booty short type base. I think.

tumblr_n9s5gh16401qi1vl1o1_1280.jpg tumblr_n9s5gh16401qi1vl1o2_1280.jpg

Got the horns glued in place ready for glassing! Testing cheek and nose prosthetics. They work differently to may be assumed :) The nose basically lengthens the nose, pretty effectively :) And the cheeks mainly sharpen not make them bigger.

But then when I glassed last night the right horn (on the left in photos) fell off and it took about 40mins to find a mix of cleaner and glue to hold it in place long enough for the now partially curing glass to bond and hold in place permanently.

sm_DSC_3216.jpg
But on they are and if I can work around this surprise virus (it may just be a head cold, still in that "every symptom is the same for every virus" stage) I'll start soaking the head in a bucket of warm water to loosen the PVA and thus all the glass. The prosthetics should float off but if I need to redo from start that is not a big deal either :)

- - - Updated - - -

sm_DSC_0573.jpg

Also I am waiting on the Winged Fairy doll to arrive and I suspect it will help a bit but not fully. But there will be a lot of silly business like this going on.

Attachments

• sm_DSC_3200.jpg
    sm_DSC_3200.jpg
    301.9 KB · Views: 99
  • sm_DSC_3209.jpg
    sm_DSC_3209.jpg
    225.2 KB · Views: 96

10561799_10153102111115620_8036746603008143764_n.jpg
This is what wiggling a knife and several pots of boiling water will do to a person and their resolve to do things "properly" but also "quickly". Having now prised the darn thing off the head cast (which needs repair- so I'll have to clean it with acetone and peel off the layers already delaminating for some reason.

tumblr_na7z6xKioy1qi1vl1o3_1280.jpg tumblr_na7z6xKioy1qi1vl1o2_1280.jpg
tumblr_na7z6xKioy1qi1vl1o1_1280.jpg
Much happier with the angular shapes I have now :)

Just typical I get a nasty bug as soon as I get this on!

However, I have a nice big 4L container of aerosil and I am so happy. I used to have to import the stuff with friends coming from Aus. Now epoxy is more readily sold and so all the fillers :) I love aerosil for making a really flexible soft (like icing) fairing paste/glue and then winds up a really flexible but stong plastic.

It's not as easy to texturise sadly but I hope do be able to cut this back and put a thin layer over and get some texture in with.. well I don't know but I may have to cut another tool :)

I also had to make a new hanging hook (two thin braces bolted together and screwed to the beading and frame of a door) to hang all my Maleficent fabrics on. I may wind up rolling the sequins up and putting them away as I am not sure when I will make my original take on Maley.

And the SDCC/Toys R Us doll finally arrived :) No back details but they did interpret the outfit as a pair of pants and tunic type top. Which is darn close to what I was planning. My Maria Hill uniform gets mistaken as a catsuit (as per the original) but it is a tunic and pants. The belt disguises the join.

Re: Maleficent 2014! New horn sculpt page 4 Christening gown done, battle wings a gog

Started cutting the horns down to shape and to be able to be worn. I still need to cut a tiny slivver from the front and slightly more at the back and then vents in the top.
The left horn base is too heavy, but this is pronounced more in the photos due the the angle of the camera and mirror. And me benig shortsighted and unable to see what I was doing.
The horns hold on just with hair, though my hair is now far too short to pin over the top. I need a lace front wig for this “natural” look.

But I also narrowed the tips and made thoose curves much more pronounced, Hampered by my dust mask and goggles not cooperating so I couldn't see. I have a respirator with multi cartridges, just have to find it after a clean and disinfectant.

Re: Maleficent 2014! New horn sculpt page 4 Christening gown done, battle wings a gog

This is so awesome and I am really looking forward to seeing more :D Thank you for documenting casting your head on your own, its something I want to try in the future. I already have one of my face but not my whole head and I want to make some variations where I do weird stuff like tape down my nose, etc

LOVE THE HORNS so much. Will be trying some of those techniques too, yes!

I don't have a lot of suggestions, just wanted to know if you've seen these wings?
https://www.etsy.com/listing/199143660/maleficent-cosplay-wings
They're felt but any kind of stiffened fabric to make the majority of the feathers will work of course. I was just impressed at how lightweight it makes them for their size, that the artist only needed wire to hold their shape and tie ribbons to wear them

I don't know if you have any plans to make them animatronic, haha. But even just to make them articulated there are some great ideas (like the lower support pvc pipe "bone" is actually two nested pipes so the wings can extend fully) This guy's stuff is just super inspirational anyway
http://bu****aka.deviantart.com/gallery/
GORGEOUS.

edit: filters on the url. it's bushi taka one word. :p

Last edited:

I have many Ideas (tm) on how to do the wings :) A friend also recently posted a tweet that had a 15thC angel in armour in the middle of a battle field, and the wings had the huge arch of Maleficent's, except without the claws ;)

As a member of the SCA it's really tempting to make the wings suitable for pageantry... But I have some modern products to try and it should work really well. Potentially salvaging some mistakes I have made out in my workroom ;)

Wings have been on my research list for about 10 years, I have plans on making an Angelus costume at some stage and the technique I am hopefully going to use will work for making fiery flamey wings as well :)

So basically studying bird anatomy and stunt harnesses ;)

sm_DSC_0588.JPG sm_DSC_0587.JPG

My horns. New set. Straight from the molds, tidied, and temporarily hot glued in place before I start doing more resin/filler body work.

So the smaller horns are possibly looking for a new home ;) or I'll just cut the support down and finally make a draenai... These horns are full scale for me as I tested them right up against a to scale print of Angelina, I had thought I'd made them too big but no. Still need to make the angles sharper and make the secondary support underneath but that is fairly easy.

And those are the prosthetics almost ready to be molded. Almost I need to look at the things in daylight before sommiting. I may want to attempt some pores on that smooth surface. So I may be capturing my own skin. erg.

Also major help for wing making! I found exactly what I was after, even if it may seem to be a waste. So next step is to definitely get attacking some pipe and connectors :) And a new corset. With fairly sturdy steels and shoulder straps to take the weight of the wings- which should be about half of what I had feared :)

New horns! Same as the old horns! Well they seem to be. But not! They are considerably larger and the actual size I sculpted them as ;)

sm_DSC_3411.jpg sm_DSC_3407.jpg sm_DSC_3412.jpg

No other angles because the front camera is unfriendly!

Starting on the wings. And finally got my silk lining nearly all evenly black! Still got one panel to go but I can at least get the main body of the tabbard sewn and hung to stretch out the hems.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back