Yavin 4 scanner (ANH) - all major parts positively identified

Guess what showed up in this week's episode of The Mandalorian.

Screen Shot 2020-11-28 at 12.39.13 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-11-28 at 12.38.59 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-11-28 at 12.38.41 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-11-28 at 12.38.32 PM.png

So, I actually finally just got to see the episode. It's seems so clear in that scene that they got that detail from this thread. Actually seeing it almost choked me up! To know that it was possible for that detail to be there in that scene fairly likely because of what has been laid out in this thread - I almost feel like I got a kind of cameo in Star Wars, you know?

A huge THANK YOU to whoever it was out there for putting that in there!

Dan

Ha! I just caught that episode and thought the same thing. Those casts from Trooper are stunning!
Thanks for the great thread, very inspiring!

edit: say, does anyone know if Trooper is still making the cast motors? I tried to “open a conversation” but I don’t think I did it correctly. I have fond memories of PMs on this board…

Last edited:
Fantastic detective work. Absolutely brilliant 3DImpact. And to meet Lorne Peterson to verify the authenticity, magnificent!

After some Ebay purchasing and courtesy of a vintage camera collector I have a couple of Minolta Auto-Spot meters, a collection of faulty Arriflex constant speed motor units (a couple missing switches) and a brass drawer knob to machine into a watchmakers screwdriver for the top part.

Here is mine roughly positioned together. I really need a variable speed version motor for the bottom one so I’ll keep looking.

As a Work In Progress costume (with the Rebel Legion Uk) Rebel Fleet Trooper myself, I'm quite looking forward to a having a screen accurate prop to go with it.

Attachments

• IMG_7569.jpg
    IMG_7569.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 50
  • IMG_7570.jpg
    IMG_7570.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 58
  • IMG_7571.jpg
    IMG_7571.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 49
I'm sure it's been said before - I can think of no greater testament to the impact of the original film, its artists, and craftsmen, than the dedication put into and the joy received from discovering their process and recreating their works almost a half-century after the fact. It's love that fuels these amazing projects. No other word for it. So, so cool.

I managed to find one of the variable speed Arriflex camera motors for the scanner. It’s lost it’s original leather look plastic outer so I’ve replaced with self adhesive faux leather.

Attachments

• IMG_8592.jpg
    IMG_8592.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_8609.jpg
    IMG_8609.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 32
And made a greebly for the top to mimic the precision screwdriver. It would be interesting to hear of any further discovery or information coming to light on what vintage screwdriver of the time it might have been.

Attachments

• IMG_8616.jpg
    IMG_8616.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_8617.jpg
    IMG_8617.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_8618.jpg
    IMG_8618.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 28
And then put it all together this morning for the first time.

Attachments

• IMG_8619.jpg
    IMG_8619.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_8620.jpg
    IMG_8620.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 37
  • IMG_8621.jpg
    IMG_8621.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 36
  • IMG_8622.jpg
    IMG_8622.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 34
And I couldn’t resist popping to a local park for a quick photo in full attire! It was fantastic to get a screen accurate scanner back in the hands of a Rebel Fleet Trooper!

I’ll go back again for more & better photos soon. I was trying to mimic a good screenshot copy but we haven't got the trees right. And I forgot to remove my safety protection wine bottle cork on the helmet antennae (it stops me poking my eye out when not wearing it!), so I cropped my image!

Has anyone else here who has put one together from the original parts ever get one in the hands of someone in full Rebel Fleet Trooper costume? Dan, did you get anyone to pose with yours at Celebration when you met Lorne?

Once again brilliant detective work in discovering this Dan, and thanks for posting in this thread.

Attachments

• IMG_8630.jpg
    IMG_8630.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_8651.jpg
    IMG_8651.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 46
Love it! So happy to see others bring this through to completion.

If you're going for the original Star Wars look then as far as I can tell the rubber glare hood seems to have not been there at Tikal. But The Mandalorian made the hood canon in Season 2.

Nice work!

Dan

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back