Yet Another Iron Man Helmet Sculpt - Painted Pg. 6

Thank you guys again!

DDevil192 - The lines are already there, so I just used a small paint brush and grey acrylic paint and followed the grooves.
I then used a lighter grey paint and watered it down and brushed it along the lines on the outside of the grooves and used cotton swabs to slowly blend down the paint.
Any paint that went beyond where I wanted it was removed with some rubbing alcohol.

This was actually just a "practice" helmet. I wanted to see it painted up so badly that I quickly worked on the second pull, sanding/filling and correcting some minor problems.
Once I stop staring at it, which may be a while:lol, I may offer this up for sale.

I'm going to be working on the master cast eventually and do all the fine tuning on it and maybe mold that again.

Wow this is great. If you go into mass production, let me know. The proportions of the various faces is remarkable. One of the best I've seen. And trust me, there are some not-so-good versions out there.

Doing the scotch bright brush down of the gold/brass makes all the difference
makes your piece look so much more like the hero version

go over the entire thing one more time so that the brushing is just a little
bit deeper and your going to be spot on

very nice! with how you dirtied the edges of the red, it looks just like the
real deal

if there was silver underneath that gold, and you double buff the edges
so that a little more silver then gold shows thru you'll have it spot on to
the hero

this makes me want a copy of the face shell to mock up like the original
if you ever do a run of them let me know

Last edited:
I'm really blown away at the response to this helmet, thank you guys so much for all the positive feedback:$.

I'm working on a separate mold of the face plate. The reference pictures show that the piece in between is a "floating" piece, meaning that it is separate from the main face plate. It also is a lot longer compared to that on the helmet.
I'll be tackling this project also, I do want to focus first on the larger torso pieces, but who knows what my A.D.D. would have me do first:wacko

Thanks Spidey!
By the way, I was able to take a couple of outdoor pics of this on my Power Ranger statue which is under 6 foot, maybe between 5'8" - 5'10" with the helmet on.

The mannequin with the Royal Guard helmet in the background is a standard 6'4" mannequin and behind it is a standard IKEA Detolf display case.
frontoutside-1.jpg

ironranger-1.jpg
ironranger1-2.jpg

Thanks Spidey!
By the way, I was able to take a couple of outdoor pics of this on my Power Ranger statue which is under 6 foot, maybe between 5'8" - 5'10" with the helmet on.

The mannequin with the Royal Guard helmet in the background is a standard 6'4" mannequin and behind it is a standard IKEA Detolf display case.

Looks great...WOW..that is just awesome.:thumbsup..email sent

Yours is on its way ;)

Just a quick update on this, I'm fixing up the master at the moment and should be done this week.
Since I hate to mold this up again, I'm sending it to a friend who will do the molding/casting for me, so I should have some more helmets to play with.

Also here's a faceplate that I've worked on for another member:
1FRONT2.jpg

Last edited:
well that's about as close to the hero finish as I have seen on here so far

not sure if you have silver under your brass, but if your brushed finished was
a little deeper and finer you would be 100% spot on

I'd love to get one of the face plates at some point to finish up like the hero
version

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back