You have never seen the Blade Runner blaster before - PHOTOS RESTORED

It's great that this thread had turned around and become enjoyable and educational again.

Can't wait to see the new blasters Rich.

Karl–I lined this pic up with the Bulldog. Lining the hand up would put the gun far out of alignment so this seemed the most useful way to compare. The hand size is about the same–I checked that. :)

Howard–Yes I’m guessing the vicinity of 1/4", but there is much more work to be done. I have to do these sorts of comparisons on a lot of photos before I’ll be satisfied I really have it narrowed down. :) The above pic was actually lined up on the Bulldog (in a quick and dirty way).

Rich–and the beat goes on, as one of my co-workers likes to say. ;)

Hirohawa--agreed.

Damn shame that you can't make out the guns serial number in these HD DVD caps.

If more than one hero exists then wouldn't this account for why some shots have the wires exposed and different screws? You would think that if more than one hero existed then they could have just cut the wires off one of them.

I think the only response to that is that ALL of the stunt castings I've ever seen have had the same serial number as the Wondergun. Doesnt' really actually PROVE anything, but strongly suggest that there was indeed only one hero.

We do know AS A FACT that the hero underwent changes through the years. Perhaps during production, perhaps before, perhaps after.

So far though, there's really no reason to believe that there was more than one hero. At least, there's no proof to be had. Some conjecture and heresay, but no proof.

I personally believe that there was one hero, and it was the one photographed at Wondercon.

Yeah, I'm with Matt on this one. I think there was only ever 1 hero gun.

The idea that there were three heroes was stated in the context that the other 2 steyr recievers were "foundry cast" anyhow, so the seriel number would be the same, if the detail survived the foundry casting process that is.

I just don't see that.

It's not like Deckard's scenes involved rapid gun fire, or running gun fights. I've seen I-robot used as an example, and man, Will Smith shot a hell of a lot more bullets that Deckard. He needed to have 5 or 6 heroes loaded and ready for the sake of multiple takes and angles. Ford, not so much. He only ever fired one shot at a time any way.

Does anyone know what the oddball screw in the sideplate is from? I've been searching since Karl posted his pics initially, and I think it's part of a distance sight, or scope mount screw. My buddy Ted who is a gun smith thinks it's an interior part from an old BSA sight.

I recognize it, but for the life of me, can't place the SOB. I thought it was probably from a rear pop up sight, maybe an enfield. :unsure

The only reason to “buy” the idea of two or three guns is it has been Hollywood policy to ALWAYS have at lease one back up.

( I sill hear the yelling..”Any hold up on set is costing $70.000.00 per hour"…)

But I would think that with the time normally allowed by the studio to make a prop (always last minute...) it would have been easier and faster to simply buying a second set of guns and machining both at the same time, and I think the back up gun or guns would have different serial numbers.

When I got a order for two or three I would just scratch build them, (like Doc McCoyÂ’s binoculars in STV, or the Power Leach in STIV) molding is used for more than three models.

It is just that the number one gun never failed and was used in almost every shot, other than the rubber stunt(s) which was molded off of it and the either hard or rubber stunts the patrolmen carried.

Rich

It could have been called "BumSquirtsCon" for all I care, as long as we all know what pictures I'm talking about :)

Still, like I said, we have no PROOF that there was more than one hero, and more than a little evidence to suggest there was only one. And yes, while hollywood does like to make more than one (just in case) that does not prove that it was the case for Blade Runner. I even posited this theory a number of posts ago, so it's not like I'm not aware of it. I just don't think it's the case. it COULD be, but there's NO evidence to support it.

Not convinced of the foundry cast argument either. Would that even make financial/temporal sense?? Back in the eighties, were the Steyr guns expensive??? Making a foundry cast would certainly be more time consuming than just chopping up another Steyr. Still, it's the same thing with that argument. We really don't have any evidence to suggest it. So until something comes up that is hard evidence, and not just "if I was making it, I woulda done it this way", I'm going to stick with my belief that there was one hero for the film, and it was the one that was photographed at bumsquirtscon.

That's allz I'm sayin'

<div class='quotetop'>(MattMunson @ Sep 29 2006, 05:20 PM) [snapback]1328972[/snapback]</div>
It could have been called "BumSquirtsCon" for all I care
[/b]

No, that was another kind of "blaster". :angel

- k

As long as I have known Phil he has been truthful and a good friend.

IF we ever learn the whole story behind all of this I think we will then find him to still be that.

So I believe him and that there is more than one gun.

Rich

<div class='quotetop'>(racprops @ Sep 29 2006, 10:14 PM) [snapback]1328962[/snapback]</div>
But I would think that with the time normally allowed by them to make a prop (always last minute...) it would have been easier and faster to simply buying a second set of guns and machining both at the same time, and I think the back up gun or guns would have different serial numbers.
[/b]

Then you will need to revise your thinking on this as he clealy states that both heros have the same serial number. Would be nice if the other owner could confirm if the wires are visable on theirs.

<div class='quotetop'>(racprops @ Sep 29 2006, 04:34 PM) [snapback]1329053[/snapback]</div>
As long as I have known Phil he has been truthful and a good friend.

IF we ever learn the whole story behind all of this I think we will then find him to still be that.

So I believe him and that there is more than one gun.

Rich
[/b]

Rich,

I actually thought Phil firmly asserted that there was only one hero gun and he said he confirmed this personally with the propmaster from the movie. Here is Phil's post in response to someone asking some questions about the blaster. Please see item # 7 on Phil's list.

eltee

"Apr 12 2003, 06:12 AM Post #1

I just responded to a fan who emailed us various theories about the Blade Runner blaster. In addressing his questions, I thought the material would be of interest to fans in this forum:

Many of your observations about the Blade Runner blaster are correct. To clarify, here are a few additional comments:

1. Buttplate finger indentation--

This is right. Having handled reproduction grips that are identical in dimension to the original gun, it is very clear that the extended flat buttplate makes the grip way too small for the average hand. Apparently, the "finger/pinky notch" was added to the buttplate to accommodate Harrison Ford's hand.

2. Fifth LED in magazine bottom--

There is in fact a fifth LED in the magazine bottom. This was an item that appears to have been added later, since none of the stunt castings show this detail. Also, the LED appears to have broken during filming.

3. Stunts molded before some modifications to hero--

You are absolutely correct. The stunt guns indeed appear to have been molded before the hero received additional modifications. Principally, the finger notch (see item no. 1), was a change that only appeared on the hero gun. The fifth LED (see item no. 2) is another example.

4. Black bottom on butt plate--

The buttplate is silver. That is absolutely certain. The black illusion is extremely convincing, but false. This has been absolutely confirmed by comparing various sequential press photos that confirm that the black bottom is an illusion caused by shadows.

5. Laser pointer LED--

I'm less familiar with the pointer, but it's been heavily debated. It appears that a piece of clear acrylic was probably inserted in the tip of the device, so the reflection seen while the gun is on the floor during the film is the clear acrylic reflecting the gun color below it (see the last paragraph in this section for an explanation of this phenomenon). Due to the lighting, it gives the tip a greenish glow.

The pointer is not hollow--as the piece has been confirmed to be a slightly modified jeweler's screwdriver--and therefore is unable to house leads to light an LED in the tip. Besides, where on the gun would the power supply be located? One must remember that this prop was made in 1980-81, when a lot of the sophisticated electronics in existence today had not even been invented.

The green reflection is a common distortion seen throughout Blade Runner. For example, many, many people believed that the stunt guns used in the film had been painted a dull green to distinguish them from the hero gun. A discussion with the property master proved that this theory was wrong. All of the stunt guns were cast in black resin or black hard foam. In conclusion, this proves that due to the lighting of the film, black objects often appeared to be greenish in color.

6. Gun colors--

The pistol frame was a brushed stainless steel, which was an option offered on Charter Arms bulldogs of the period. The Steyr parts were high-polished blue (standard finish on all Steyr rifles at the time). The magazine was polished nylon plastic, the material out of which Model SL magazines and trigger housings were made of.

7. One more thing--

Only one hero gun was ever produced. This has been confirmed by the property master. Additionally, about 12 or 13 stunt copies were made for the movie, with another few copies given to "friends of the production".

Phil "

All these statements were made badly..

Best Available Data.. B.A.D.
I never said he was totaly correct just that he has never LIED to me.

I beleive lieing is telling a untruth when you know better.

I was told the same thing by the propmaster.

That there was only one.

Later Phil said he was told othewise.

Rich

<div class='quotetop'>(racprops @ Sep 29 2006, 09:14 PM) [snapback]1328962[/snapback]</div>
The only reason to “buy” the idea of two or three guns is it has been Hollywood policy to ALWAYS have at lease one back up.

[/b]

How many hero Solo blasters were made?

<div class='quotetop'>(PHArchivist @ Sep 29 2006, 10:31 PM) [snapback]1329120[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>(racprops @ Sep 29 2006, 09:14 PM) [snapback]1328962[/snapback]

[/b]

How many hero Solo blasters were made?
[/b][/quote]

Bingo.

<div class='quotetop'>(racprops @ Sep 30 2006, 03:25 AM) [snapback]1329156[/snapback]</div>
Well we know of two for sure, the one seen in the film and the Gredo Killer...

Rich
[/b]

I think you're missing my point, but also seeing where I'm going all at the same time.

I believe Solo blaster fanatics do not consider the Greedo Killer as THE hero. By our unique definitions, Han really had two guns. Both were constructed as a "Hero" prop would be (real guns, not rubber or resin casts), but both are very different props.

Of only one of each were made.

So it happens...

Lets try and not start the "what Phil said" wars again, please. I barely survived the last sorty. :lol

The fact is that those of us on this board don't know for sure if more than one hero Br blaster was made. It's rumour, no matter how sure anyone is of the information unless they are willing to prove it in a public post, it's simply rumour and opinion.

But we do know that Rich and Karl both put lenses on, and held in your hands, the real hero prop, even if a second or third was made, what they had at Worldcon still has the drywall dust caked in the grips, crud in the barrel, probably even has some of Ford's fingerprints on it somewhere, and we have plenty of screencaps and set pics to verify it's provenance as the main firing gun used.

Where is CSI to verify all this for us?? ;)

Njc-----------

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back