You have never seen the Blade Runner blaster before - PHOTOS RESTORED

Of that I think we all agree, the one found and photographted at Worldcon seems to be the one and only one filmed:

All the scratches on the Butt plate, like that ½ moon scratch that made us think there was a round depression in the bottom of the butt plate…the black bottom with the slight silver edges.

The paint damage on the grip frame, Phil and I debated that one many times in the frame captures that showed them, Phil saying it was silver frames with shadow causing the black and me saying the frame was black with light reflecting causing the silver look.

The finish IE: Raw steel, which once we saw this and then looked for it in the film saw it there too.

And last the wires:

I have to say that detail bugged me all along, I saw them in the very early pictures, and could only think I was seeing the front edge of a slightly open side cover.

But that really did not work either. The cover did not look out of alignment.

So when I saw the first pictures Karl sent me, I knew in an instant I was looking at the real thing, it answered all those arguments and details.

And the green LED in the rod, I already believed in the one in front, and feared the one in the back so it was not hard to believe in it once seen.

I did not believe the screws in the side of the ammo housing where I had been putting my toothpick switch and the small switch on the side of the ammo clip, but again when looked for, found them within film captures.

So the only thing that is wrong is the new side cover screw, and we believe that was change after the filming.

So if they did indeed go with only one hero, it was ballsy but then again it was a all steel working real gun, very well made so perhaps they felt it would survive the shoot.

But to risk it with only one prop, a million dollar film and the main prop, only one, even if we think it will not break or malfunction, it could get lost or stolen.

Happens all the time on film sets, so I still think they had a back up.

Perhaps they took a stunt casting and hogged the Styer receiver out and mounted it on to another Bulldog as a back up gun, thus we have the same serial number and a back up prop and it would not look as good as the real gun/prop, so was only a back up?

My 2 cents worth.

Rich

<div class='quotetop'></div>
So the only thing that is wrong is the new side cover screw, and we believe that was change after the filming[/b]

Was that screw functionional or cosmetic?

Do we even know if it was real or part of the cast?

Buried in the paperwork of the production company is the truth. How many guns were made, the price they were charged, who made them, and maybe even what was done with them.
The best memory is poorer than a written record.

<div class='quotetop'></div>
As it has been replaced I am betting it was real and functional.[/b]

Is this not an assumption, given the lack of certainty on how many heros?

I don't know what that thing is, but it looks custom, given the irregularity of the grooves.

I'm sure the prop master's butthole puckered up when Ford started jumping across the tops of cars with the Hero gun in his hand. :lol

Seems the one person who could clear this all up is the same person whos prop has likely lost $$$$$ by the revealing of these pictures.

<div class='quotetop'>(RKW @ Sep 30 2006, 11:49 AM) [snapback]1329374[/snapback]</div>
Seems the one person who could clear this all up is the same person whos prop has likely lost $$$$$ by the revealing of these pictures.
[/b]

Of the gun? Is there still some rational argument as to why the "hero" BR gun would lose value just because there are pictures of it out there? Even the best reproduction is just a less than accurate duplicate.

<div class='quotetop'>(SFPROPS @ Sep 30 2006, 04:54 PM) [snapback]1329376[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>(RKW @ Sep 30 2006, 11:49 AM) [snapback]1329374[/snapback]
[/b]

Of the gun? Is there still some rational argument as to why the "hero" BR gun would lose value just because there are pictures of it out there? Even the best reproduction is just a less than accurate duplicate.
[/b][/quote]

I'm not referring to the devaluing of the WorldCon gun but rather the other owner who thinks they own a hero.

Re: the odd side screw

<div class='quotetop'>(Birdie @ Sep 30 2006, 08:25 AM) [snapback]1329354[/snapback]</div>
it looks custom, given the irregularity of the grooves.
[/b]

The simplest explanation is that it was a found part--prop shops are notorious for avoiding unecessary work.

Also the 'irregularity' of the grooves has a pattern which is highly suggestive of an adjustment knob with a 'home' position--much like what may be found on scopes and other devices with fine adjustments. Could it be a windage adjustment of some kind?

Do we know what the shooting schedule was for the movie? It would be very useful to be able to put the filming of certain scenes (and the taking of publicity photos at certain sites) on a timeline.

<div class='quotetop'>(MattMunson @ Sep 30 2006, 03:45 AM) [snapback]1329170[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>(PHArchivist @ Sep 30 2006, 01:43 PM) [snapback]1329168[/snapback]
Of only one of each were made.

So it happens...
[/b]

Sounds like something Yoda would say.
[/b][/quote]

:lol

So it does....

Hey all

I'm late to this discussion, and i must say I'm sorry to hear these images were pulled.

I completely respect Karl's reasoning, and all that.

Still... is there any possibility that someone who saved the images would hook a brother up? I'd love to looky.

I'd be much obliged.

Thank you for listening

Re: You have never seen the Blade Runner blaster before

Hey all

I'm late to this discussion, and i must say I'm sorry to hear these images were pulled.

I completely respect Karl's reasoning, and all that.

Still... is there any possibility that someone who saved the images would hook a brother up? I'd love to looky.

I'd be much obliged.

Thank you for listening

I too would like to see this fine piece of work. I wouldn't mind even if the images were low-res, watermarked, etc.

Re: You have never seen the Blade Runner blaster before

The prop no longer belongs to the original owner, and it was examined and photographed at the Profiles auction.

With this in mind, feel free to download a zip file of my original 2006 worldcon photos here:

http://www.propsummit.com/brpics/worldconphotos.zip

Also be sure to check out Propsummit, which is a great community of fans of Blade Runner, and other fantastic films such as Ridley Scott's other masterpiece, "Alien". :cool

dsc05812w.jpg

Woo-hoo! Thanks muchly Karl! I'm working on an old Rick Ross kit (though I suspect it might be a recast) and these pictures will help tremendously!

Eric

Ditto what others have said. I feel a bit like I cheated, not being around when the pics were pulled originally, but I'm sure going to get that .zp file before it disappears again!

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back