Announcement You spoke, We listened! - Junkyard V 2.1

You are mistaken, I never really l liked Glock Talk, it was too big to be a community by the time I joined and the only reason I joined was to learn more about Glocks. Once I learned what I needed to know I moved on and I only check in once in while to see if there is anything new going on.

I feel the same way about the AVS forum I'm a member of. It's way to big to really enjoy it.

As for the comfort I referred to, it was not based on the failures of the Glock Talk mod team. It was based on their ability to recognize that something they implemented didn’t work out and I took comfort knowing that they were able to accept that didn’t work out, and reverted back to the original system.

However, I'm not surprised that you would try and paint me in a bad light by presuming to know me. You seem to always try to put a bad spin on what I do and post. You really are not the same person I met at Dragon Con so long ago.

It is unfortunate that you feel that way, David. I am indeed not the same person I was years ago. I have had well over a decade of experience managing these communities since then and I would be ashamed if I hadn't grown and matured in that time.

I don't know why you are surprised that I often see your comments in a bad light. You constantly show an utter lack of respect for the community and its rules and do everything in your power to skirt them or find loopholes. Your sole purpose here has been to endlessly promote your own sales, primarily by trying to find ways to do it outside the established sales areas. You have loudly bemoaned every change and placed your own negative spin on anything that the staff does for the community because it doesn't benefit your sales. So... yeah... I don't expect much from you at this point and NEVER expect it to be anything but another comment specifically designed to pressure us to allow you to do whatever you want, whenever you want.

Much like @Moviefreak, I think I am done with this discussion, especially since your remarks have long since crossed the border of the absurd and you are making assumptions about topics to which you are entirely ignorant.

Their ONLY option is ebay? No! They have TWOoptions... ebay AND becoming a premium member on Side Show Freaks.

If they choose to sell on ebay, that is a choice they made and is not dictated because of the site.... it is more dictated by greed. They want the max amount of money off the item and as you even acknowledged, "in that venue they command the highest prices". So they "Choose" to sell on ebay to get more money and most likely pay higher fees.
They could opt to sell just on Sideshow Freaks and pay A LOT less in fees... but they know they would have to sell for a lot less or sit on their item longer than if posting it on ebay. SO they have turned to ebay and many members who used to get "the hook-ups and deals" do not like it and now are complaining that "it is the forums fault".
Just like here, there are sellers in the JY who choose to use ebay auctions, yet still post it here. Why? To hook up other members"? No.... because they want the most money they can get. That is greed taking over and these people are willing to pay not only $4 a month here but also the high ebay fees to sell.

Times have changed and it is not the addition of premium $4 fees. You have been in this hobby since the early years, and you were here when the hobby was smaller and a closer knit of members. But over the years it has attracted a larger audience and a large amount of people who saw the money these props can make. That started the trend of people joining to "just sell". And with that came scam artists. That is just how things have evolved and I see so many old timers from "the good old days" hating it. It is like the old grumpy man who hates these young kids these days and the way the world has changed :lol

Fact is: Greed is in human nature, and greed is what might end up killing the hobby. With greed comes price hikes, scammers and loss of quality members who just hate things and leave. The forum has no fault in human nature.

Could you elaborate on why you are classing it as greedy to want to make the most amount of money achievable from sales? Is that not the very definition of business in a capitalist model?

I haven't had very much to sell over the last year or so, when I do have products or services that I think are suitable for offering on the RPF, I will purchase a premium membership. I don't like selling on Ebay at all, but it is a different market, and very often attracts buyers who don't know this place exists. Prop stuff that isn't 'the latest fad' sells far more frequently there than here, in my experience.

The RPF is a good, if rather myopic, marketplace for the right items. Ebay is a pretty horrible selling environment which screws sellers left and right, but is a massive marketplace for unusual or higher end items. Selling props is a balancing act that necessitates targeting the most appropriate outlets for the best returns. You may consider it greedy, but folk, particularly builders, are not selling for the good of their health or to cut a deal for those with shallow pockets. I know full well that you know that it's tough out there, which is why I'm puzzled by your comments.

David, you need to let it go, give it up, whatever. You know full well that the RPF isn't the place you joined. As you yourself have mentioned, the majority of old members have drifted off or been banned. It's sad, but that's the way it is. You are not awarded respect for how long you've been here, or what you have done in the past. The current membership don't care. It's not the old days any more, and they are not coming back.

I respectfully recommend that if you want to stay a member, you button it up and play nice. We've had enough long-time member casualties over the last few years, we really don't need another one.

Could you elaborate on why you are classing it as greedy to want to make the most amount of money achievable from sales? Is that not the very definition of business in a capitalist model?

I haven't had very much to sell over the last year or so, when I do have products or services that I think are suitable for offering on the RPF, I will purchase a premium membership. I don't like selling on Ebay at all, but it is a different market, and very often attracts buyers who don't know this place exists. Prop stuff that isn't 'the latest fad' sells far more frequently there than here, in my experience.

The RPF is a good, if rather myopic, marketplace for the right items. Ebay is a pretty horrible selling environment which screws sellers left and right, but is a massive marketplace for unusual or higher end items. Selling props is a balancing act that necessitates targeting the most appropriate outlets for the best returns. You may consider it greedy, but folk, particularly builders, are not selling for the good of their health or to cut a deal for those with shallow pockets. I know full well that you know that it's tough out there, which is why I'm puzzled by your comments.

David, you need to let it go, give it up, whatever. You know full well that the RPF isn't the place you joined. As you yourself have mentioned, the majority of old members have drifted off or been banned. It's sad, but that's the way it is. You are not awarded respect for how long you've been here, or what you have done in the past. The current membership don't care. It's not the old days any more, and they are not coming back.

I respectfully recommend that if you want to stay a member, you button it up and play nice. We've had enough long-time member casualties over the last few years, we really don't need another one.

Not all are greedy who sell. You want what your item is worth and no one blames you for that. I was trying to convey how the hobby has turned to attracting more sellers, flippers and scammers and away from the exclusive building club it used to be. To blame a $4 fee for that swing towards a marketplace is crazy. That is all I was implying.

There would be no community without members. And people building things.

When the premium members idea was introduced, it was shortly after the now abandoned rep points system and was quickly adopted as a kind of 'private members club' for swapping reputation points, and a way of defusing the increasingly chaotic pay-it-forward scheme.

I'm a strong believer that the strongest way of supporting the community is through sharing information - reference, research, techniques, tips etc etc.

I'm of the old school like David. Art's vision is pretty wildly different from mine, in many ways, and premium membership is part of that, but as I suggested to Boba Debt the RPF has changed for good. You either take that on board and make the best of it, or you leave.

There would be no community without members. And people building things.

I'm a strong believer that the strongest way of supporting the community is through sharing information - reference, research, techniques, tips etc etc.

While there is little we agree on, we do agree on these points. Our members are the heart and soul of the community and the single most important thing a member can do is share information with others in the community.

giphy.gif

2 things.

Now that the old JY has gone, can we have the FS (in bold blue) prefix put before thread titles in the new JY so it shows up in the "new posts" search list results. It is currently a major pain to see which are threads are forum threads and which are sales threads when browsing the board through the "new posts" function. It's like I'm watching a tennis match at the moment, looking left to right, right to left for every thread to see which forum a thread is on :lol

"Ooooooooh, a discussion about xyz ! ... oops, no it's not, one is for sale"

"Ooooooooh, an abc is for sale ! ... ooops, no its not, its a discussion"

:wacko

And may I suggest that this "box"

Thread Display Options - Listings Per Page - Show threads from the... Sort threads by: Prefix Order threads in... Ascending Order Descending Order

.... be moved to the top of the page just above where the actual listing start. If one wishes to see say 100 threads on the page, one has to go to the bottom first to choose the option. At the top would be more user friendly.

Last edited:
Now that the old JY has gone, can we have the FS (in bold blue) prefix put before thread titles in the new JY so it shows up in the "new posts" search list results. It is currently a major pain to see which are threads are forum threads and which are sales threads when browsing the board through the "new posts" function. It's like I'm watching a tennis match at the moment, looking left to right, right to left for every thread to see which forum a thread is on :lol

"Ooooooooh, a discussion about xyz ! ... oops, no it's not, one is for sale"

"Ooooooooh, an abc is for sale ! ... ooops, no its not, its a discussion"

Art Andrews Montagar , very happy to see that this is now available. Thanks for fixing it guys :cheers:thumbsup

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back