DancinFool - Iron Man Mark 3 Pepakura Foam Templates

Yeah...I understand that, but there has to be a way to show the part in the 3D window no? Cause even using this, I can't tell if the edge should be a 45 degree or 90. With regular pep files, all the guess work is taken out. You can see where things need to go. This way, not so much. LOL

Ultimately, I don't want to get into it, and realized I messed the whole thing up. LOL I've got enough of a roll of foam to do the whole suit, I don't want to waste it. :love

I don't see where the problem is.. You can see the template in the 3D view too as in this screen shot :

1344037577-pepview.jpg

Maybe you are using the .pdf files and not the .pdo
If you are using the PDF, you have no way to see the 3d model of the piece you just printed.
If you are using the .pdo, which opens with pepakura, I don't see where your problem is.
And for the 45°/90°, you actually have to guess and see where you feel to do one.
If you see an angle on the 3D model, then you have to cut it on the foam to make it accurate.
I would suggest you to read JFCustom's excellent thread full of nice tips for foam building first ;)

Nice fit! Do you slip the cod/abs on like pants, or do you have a connector somewhere on them?

Thanks Mizuno !
I actually cut it in 2 pieces to fit in. It's fits me perfectly but I did had some troubles to get in when it was a one piece. I used straps and buckles to connect the cod back.
If you guys want, I can show you more in depth how I did it.

Last edited:
I feel your frustration. This is my first time doing anything pepakura. The hardest part I'm finding is the scaling of body parts.

Yeah...I understand that, but there has to be a way to show the part in the 3D window no? Cause even using this, I can't tell if the edge should be a 45 degree or 90. With regular pep files, all the guess work is taken out. You can see where things need to go. This way, not so much. LOL

Ultimately, I don't want to get into it, and realized I messed the whole thing up. LOL I've got enough of a roll of foam to do the whole suit, I don't want to waste it. :love

Thanks Mizuno !
I actually cut it in 2 pieces to fit in. It's fits me perfectly but I did had some troubles to get in when it was a one piece. I used straps and buckles to connect the cod back.

Yeah sure! That would be cool. Always looking for new ideas on how to wear the armor.

I don't see where the problem is.. You can see the template in the 3D view too as in this screen shot :

1344037577-pepview.jpg

Maybe you are using the .pdf files and not the .pdo
If you are using the PDF, you have no way to see the 3d model of the piece you just printed.
If you are using the .pdo, which opens with pepakura, I don't see where your problem is.
And for the 45°/90°, you actually have to guess and see where you feel to do one.
If you see an angle on the 3D model, then you have to cut it on the foam to make it accurate.
I would suggest you to read JFCustom's excellent thread full of nice tips for foam building first ;)

Thanks Mizuno !

That's exactly what I WANT Pepakura to do MrBibou!
I use Designer, and it doesn't do that for me. I click the piece in 2D view, and nothing changes in 3D. I remember way back when I did my Halo armor, it would do EXACTLY what your screen shot shows. Grey out everything but the piece you have highlighted. It's gotta be a setting somewhere, and I can't seem to find it, ANYWHERE. LOL

Got it. You have to unhighlight the parts in the part list when you go into "Check corresponding face" in the 2D right click menu.

By default. all the faces are highlighted. Hit clear, then click your pieces in the 2D view.

Thanks MrBibou!

I hate scaling armour parts lol Every body part I measure when put the measurement in mm into Pep Designer the part comes out either way to big or small. I've tried so many different methods when it comes to scaling and none have worked. Anyone else having this problem or is it just trial and error with every single piece?

great work on the templates while I haven't been using the actual templates I have been using your files pepekuar viewer so I constantly have a 3d model to use as reference when my son is playing with his 12" ironman toy that I nromaly use lol. Great work thanks.

I hate scaling armour parts lol Every body part I measure when put the measurement in mm into Pep Designer the part comes out either way to big or small. I've tried so many different methods when it comes to scaling and none have worked. Anyone else having this problem or is it just trial and error with every single piece?

http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/f32/how-scale-your-pepakura-armour-tutorial-35523/

Spideyman...this thread is BY FAR...the most concise how to on scaling your armor properly. Don't forget, you want to scale each piece to yourself. It's not going to be the same number for each armor piece.

I'm trying make an Iron Man suit for my 7 year old. I measured his arm length and circumference. When I went to print it I just changed the scale in the print settings. 85% seems to do the trick for the forearm and elbow pieces. I'm using cardboard. First I make paper version using regular copy paper. And keep changing the scale until it fits the measurements.

I don't think there are any mkV templates available.. You may find some pep or
Foam helm file after some research but all the armor i've seen were done by hands.

Yeah I know this feeling, I did a test fit with all the parts I've done and the legs were a bit to small. They fit me perfectly (around my thigh) so scaling them up would make them too big.
They're a bit short though even if I used the same scale form the arm, which are at the perfect scale.

I might try to correct that, don't feel like re-doing the legs again :lol

DancingFool -

Two questions:

1.) What are the approximate dimensions on your Pep files? Meaning, what is your basic height and weight?

2.) What foam did you use? I am currently using 2mm "Foamies" foam. What do you recommend for this build?

Thanks.

My last 2 questions are open ended:

1.) For a begin doing his first project, what is the easier armor to create... the MARK III or the MARK IV/VI (from STEALTH's thread)?

2.) Has anyone investigated printing the templates on paper and then pasting them to their foam directly, and using the lines on the sheet to cut the foam out (as opposed to printing on card stock, cutting out, taping to the foam, tracing on the foam, then cutting the foam out)?

Last edited:
I'm offically done with pepakura. To much of a headache trying to get parts to fit and wasting to much money trying
That breaks my heart!:cry I know it's hard but you can do it or switch to foam! You can do it! It is very hard and heartbreaking sometimes! You do learn from those tribulations though!
Hope you'll keep trying!
M

That breaks my heart!:cry I know it's hard but you can do it or switch to foam! You can do it! It is very hard and heartbreaking sometimes! You do learn from those tribulations though!
Hope you'll keep trying!
M

I am using foam. I can put the pieces together great, but it's the scaling that is getting on my nerves. I've tried and tried with so many different methods and none of them work. I just don't want to keep printing template after template to get the right size. You'd think by putting in your measurements into pepakura that it should and key word should come out right. I don't know if there's a problem with the program or if it's something I'm doing wrong.

I hate to ask, but are you able to use the "measure distance between two points function"? That changed the whole game for me! If you are already, I apologize, but it took me a quite a few hot messes and re-does to get somewhere.. until a friend pointed that one thing out! Four freaking boots! LOL! If I had to do another boot just for sizing I would die :cry
I tell you, if it were easy then everyone would have armor and I guess it might not be as special. PM me if you want and I'll do what I can to help... I'm no master, but I can try.
M
PS glad you like the foam! You have to find the medium you feel best working with!
I personally don't care for the foam and love the pepakura, LOL! Despite the pain sometimes, when a difficult part goes together, it can give you quite a rush! (ThoughI 'm not sure that isn't just resin fumes!) :confused I love pepakura more than any other hobby I've ever done!

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back