DancinFool - Iron Man Mark 3 Pepakura Foam Templates

1.) Pepakura viewer is free. Pepakura designer cost something like 30$ but you can dl the free trial version (like I do) but you can't save the modifications you do on the files. I only use it to scale the files I use.
And yes it runs fine on windows, it doesn't require lots of ressources.

2.) Not with the PDF files. You must use the .pdo files with pepakura to see where the pieces go.

3.) I guess they are made for LETTER format, which is the standard paper format in the US (8.5 by 11 inches).

I just want to make sure this is nice and spelled out for me. So if someone has the Pep files scaled for a 6'0", 190lbs male, I can view them using the free version of Pepakura. I could then print them to 8.5"x11" (or print the PDF version that is in the OP), and view the "matchlines" using the FREE version of Pepakura?

My nephews are HUGE super hero fans, so I really want to surprise them one Halloween (they dress as different super heroes EVERY SINGLE Halloween). If anyone can provide further assistance, please let me know.

Thanks a ton!

Thanks mizuno, means a lot from you as you are one of my inspiration out there. Your suits look amazing !
I'm on my macbook right now so I don't have access to pepakura designer. I'll share the scale I used later ;)

Thanks man! Inspiration? Man I was inspired by looking at your build before I tackled my foam suit. I needed to take a break from all the sanding for my resin suit hahah

Okay guys, now it's time for some major update !
Warning, pic HEAVY !
I've been working on my mkIII for a month i believe or maybe a bit more and I've been dying to post some progress pics but never found the time to.
This is my second build ever, after I did my mkIV with STEALTH files. I learned a lot (from my mistakes mainly :lol) and did a way cleaner and better job this time. Here's my old armor, just look from page to page to see my progression :thumbsup

But today is the day and I'm almost done with the foam work :)
For those who are wondering, I used DacinFool foam conversion of his mkIII pep files that you can find on the first post of this thread and Royal Dump foam conversion of these same files.
I used a mix of these mainly for 3D/view reference and did some minor mod when I feel I needed too.

Enough with the talk, now bring on the pics !

I started with the arm. I had some huge trouble scaling them and had to do maybe 4 or 5 attempts before I get them right and tight fitting.
I'm 5"10' (1.78m) and have a lean body type. Scaling the armor was a pain but in the end I'm very happy with the result. I would recommend you to first stick the paper templates and see how the final piece will look before you trace them on foam, it will save you a lot of foam, time and will prevent your motivation from droping down as mine did.

1343732687-img-1835.jpg

Some test fit.

1343732682-img-1836.jpg

Then I moved on the cod and abs section.
It fits me perfectly once I manage to get my butt in but I do have to use the foam flexibility to get into the cod. I think I'll cut it in 2 separate pieces so it will be easier to put it once the armor will be coated and harden.
The back and side abs are glued to the cod.

1343732692-img-1839.jpg

1343732682-img-1840.jpg

While the abs are removable.

1343732705-img-1850.jpg

Chest and back!
The back did gave me some troubles because of the way the flaps are done.
I had to use a lot of mkIII hot toys pics reference to make sure I wasn't going to glue them in the wrong place :lol

Then the hardest part..

1343732684-img-1844.jpg

1343732677-img-1842.jpg

I think we'll all agree saying that making the legs is the hardest part of the build, mainly because it takes a lot of time, you have to make 2 of them, and try to make them look symetrical and good next to each other.
Anyway, I was very happy once both of them were done and even more when I saw they fit me perfectly.

1343732692-img-1845.jpg

1343732695-img-1846.jpg

1343732697-img-1847.jpg

1343732695-img-1848.jpg

1343732699-img-1849.jpg

Then I went to the boots.
And I think I was a bit crazy here :lol

1343732706-img-1851.jpg

1343732707-img-1852.jpg

Instead of making them without sole, I actually made the entire boot with the under details that no one besides me will see :lol
I think I'm the first one to do a foam Iron man and spending most the longest time doing the boots details that will not even be seen but meh, I wanted to do an armor maily for dispose and I want it to be the best possible. I don't remember seeing anyone else do that but I may be wrong :)
The other reason I did it entirely is because of the heel piece that does add few inches and raise me when I'm wearing them, helping me to gain some few inches and giving me a more lean and taller look which in the end, will look a lot better thant walking with flat soles.

and yes, it does pivot !

1343732707-img-1853.jpg

And the best for the end, the helmet.
It might be my 5th or 6th helmet since I started building Iron man suits and I'm finally happy with the result I got. A nice suit with a crappy helm would be ruined as it's the fist piece that caught the attention.

1343732709-img-1855.jpg

1343732708-img-1854.jpg

I still have a lot to do : one boot, the neck piece, under neck details, hip pods and gloves.
Then the funny part : coating the whole suit with pva, then rondo, primer and finally paint !

Stay tuned for more upcomming progress ;)

Thats what Im talking bout! excellent job MrBibou. Patience, time and effort are the 3 most important things to creating somthin cool and yr build shows all of em. Your now not just making Ironman, your making Art. keep it up dude :thumbsup

I just want to make sure this is nice and spelled out for me. So if someone has the Pep files scaled for a 6'0", 190lbs male, I can view them using the free version of Pepakura. I could then print them to 8.5"x11" (or print the PDF version that is in the OP), and view the "matchlines" using the FREE version of Pepakura?

My nephews are HUGE super hero fans, so I really want to surprise them one Halloween (they dress as different super heroes EVERY SINGLE Halloween). If anyone can provide further assistance, please let me know.

Thanks a ton!

Yep, that's exactly that. I would recommend you to watch STEALTH tutorials on youtube if you are not familiar with Pepakura. It helped me a lot when I started building ;)

Thanks man! Inspiration? Man I was inspired by looking at your build before I tackled my foam suit. I needed to take a break from all the sanding for my resin suit hahah

Lol, I was really impressed by your fiberglass suit even before I started my foam mkIV, which was one of the built that motivated me to make my own. I guess that's how it works :lol
Btw, here's the scale I used for the arms, legs and cod : 1.305785
The abs were a bit small with this scale so I made them a bit bigger but don't really remeber the exact scale I used.
The boots and helm are default scale if I remember well, not sure though :confused

Thats what Im talking bout! excellent job MrBibou. Patience, time and effort are the 3 most important things to creating somthin cool and yr build shows all of em. Your now not just making Ironman, your making Art. keep it up dude :thumbsup

Haha thanks mate, remember me ? :lol
Means a lot to me as you're the one who introduced me to rondo. You mkVII looks really nice and I hope mine will turn as good as yours !
Your built showed us that foam armor have nothing to be ashamed of standing next to a pep one.
I hope to see some update pics very soon :thumbsup

As for now, I'm working on the second boot, this is probably the longest of all the parts but meh, I already did the hard work. No time for quiting now !

Hey guys. I posted this in another thread and MrBibou suggested it'd be best to post here. I'm currently trying to build Dancin_Fool MKIII foam file with JFCustom's mod. This is my first ever build. Built the right shin to see how the scale was. I'm 5'7" and it came out just a little to big. Probably decrease by 10% and it should be ok. Here are a couple pics. Have to just put the links as for some reason it won't let me post them here

http://s1062.photobucket.com/albums...deyman12004/?action=view&current=DSCF0890.jpg

http://s1062.photobucket.com/albums...deyman12004/?action=view&current=DSCF0891.jpg

It looks really Nice and clean! Especially for a first built Ever..
JFCustom did an awesome job with his files but I do think you'll lost a lot of details on the end..
You shin is more rounded and you have to make the details later (thinking about the flaps with the small holes).
This is why I stayed with the originals files.
Depends on the level of accuracy you're searching for I guess.

But anyway, great Start! Keep up mate.

Mr. Bibou -

What type of foam did you use and what is the average rate/price per square foot? I am anticipating using a material called "Foamies".

Also, do you have that helmet template available in Pepakura Viewer for LETTER size paper?

Thanks mate :)
And no, I don't see what you mean about the leg pieces :confused
I use some floor mats that are used for home exercises. I find those in a local sport store here in France called Decathlon, not sure if you'll be able to find them but i would not recommend them for foam building. They are pretty cheap but the quality isn't superb. It does a decent job for the price though so I'm fine with it :thumbsup

I already answer to that ;)
The foam I buy here (in France) is pretty cheap but not top quality.
I don't know much about foam outside, in the US.
I would not recommend foamies though as it's to thin. Try to use 6mm foam, I think it's the best size to work with.
Lot's of built are done using EVA foam sheets.
STEALTH in his tutorial recommend this one.

As for the helm file, you'll find it here (the fisrt one). I assume it was done for LETTER paper size so it should be fine. Just build it and see if it fits you and then, see if you'll need to increase or decrease the siez a bit :thumbsup

It looks really Nice and clean! Especially for a first built Ever..
JFCustom did an awesome job with his files but I do think you'll lost a lot of details on the end..
You shin is more rounded and you have to make the details later (thinking about the flaps with the small holes).
This is why I stayed with the originals files.
Depends on the level of accuracy you're searching for I guess.

But anyway, great Start! Keep up mate.

I decided to go with Dancin_Fools orginal foam files. One question though. How did you get the holes in the calve flaps?

I'm going to assume a drill. A hand held hole puncher would be too small. Try using an automated drill with a larger bit on it.

Mr.Bibou -

Another quick question... Did you use all 90 degree angles to glue your pieces together? I had seen on STEALTH's tutorials that he recommends buying a cutter than cuts varying angles. Do you recommend this?

I decided to go with Dancin_Fools orginal foam files. One question though. How did you get the holes in the calve flaps?

You can try to take a look at Royal Dump's mod, I think they are a bit easier to understand :)
For the holes I used the same method as for the line : a soldering iron.
Be very carefull with with method though, one error and you'll end up with a big hole in your piece, use it with a lot of caution and precision :thumbsup
I would recommend to use a gas mask too as the foam burns and release fumes.

Mr.Bibou -

Another quick question... Did you use all 90 degree angles to glue your pieces together? I had seen on STEALTH's tutorials that he recommends buying a cutter than cuts varying angles. Do you recommend this?

I used a 90° angle when I needed one. The 45/90 degrees cutter could be very nice, giving you some really nice and clean edges. I found them rather expensive though.
For my build I used a regulare pair of scissors, it's not the best but it works just fine ;)

After 4 tries, I finally have a forearm that fits. Now if I put the number I have for the scale into other parts should that make the other parts fit me as well or will I have to measure everytime?

Hehe, reminds me when I tried to scale the biceps first and ended up finding the right scale after the 4th or 5th attempts just like you :lol
I scaled the biceps, forearm, thigh and shin with all the same scale so I guess you should go with the one you used for your forearm.
I would recommend you to stick the paper templates first and see if it will fit you and then, trace it into foam. It will save you a lot of foam and time believe me ;)

Some update pics !
I just received some buckles and straps to connect the different pieces together.
Here's what I got so far for the upper body.
Everything is fitting me like a glove, hope the whole thing will look clean and lean.
More fitting pics to come ;)

1344030538-img-1864.jpg

Quick question.

So I printed out the chest. It's only 4 pages. I understand you flip each part for the other side. No problem there.

How the hell do you guys figure out where each part goes? LOL
Is there a way to click a part in the 2D section of Pepakura that shows you where it goes on the 3D model? Cause using the "Join/Deface" method doesn't really work on these "made for foam" templates, as they are constantly going out looking for parts that have been removed.

Never done foam pep before, so this is kind of frustrating.

If you open the file with Pepakura viewer, you should have no problem finding which part goes where. You'll see what it corresponds to only by clicking on it :thumbsup

If you open it with Pepakura designer, do a left click on the templates and select "check corresponding face", which does the same thing. It also gives you the name of the selected part in a new window but you don't need that, just slide it away ;)

If you open the file with Pepakura viewer, you should have no problem finding which part goes where. You'll see what it corresponds to only by clicking on it :thumbsup

If you open it with Pepakura designer, do a left click on the templates and select "check corresponding face", which does the same thing. It also gives you the name of the selected part in a new window but you don't need that, just slide it away ;)

Yeah...I understand that, but there has to be a way to show the part in the 3D window no? Cause even using this, I can't tell if the edge should be a 45 degree or 90. With regular pep files, all the guess work is taken out. You can see where things need to go. This way, not so much. LOL

Ultimately, I don't want to get into it, and realized I messed the whole thing up. LOL I've got enough of a roll of foam to do the whole suit, I don't want to waste it. :love

Nice fit! Do you slip the cod/abs on like pants, or do you have a connector somewhere on them?

Some update pics !
I just received some buckles and straps to connect the different pieces together.
Here's what I got so far for the upper body.
Everything is fitting me like a glove, hope the whole thing will look clean and lean.
More fitting pics to come ;)

1344030538-img-1864.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back