Large scale Millennium Falcon Kit ID's**New Maps at start of thread**

Re: Large scale Millennium Falcon Kit ID's

Thanks Rod and CJ for ya PMS,

Got a responce from someone who has built the beast. He will measure it for us and let us know.

He did however offer some advice. In that he never attepted the frame untill he had most of the greables. He built the parts first (RE: side walls, back engine deck, pits etc) then everything else fell into place.

But nice of him to help out. Man you should see the thing now, its just beautiful!

Ozzy

That's great Ozzy. He did a fantastic job on all his detail plates. In fact I use some of his pix for the hard to see pieces on this thing. Having them all laid out first is the way we are going also and as we complete each detail section we adjust our measurements accordingly. One day we'll have a definitive template or plan for this thing. At the mo I'm just casting up the multiples to save on a bit of cash and will offer them up here so peeps don't have to spend a fortune on kits. This ain't a cheap bird to build.

This ain't a cheap bird to build.

U got that right. I know of 2 people who have copleted 99% of kits needed to build the bird. And how much they invested. I will not repeat the amounts other than saying I purchased a secondhand vehical for work recently and that was cheaper than all these kits. Dedication to the art guys. I take me hat of too ya. (Doohh not wearing one).

Ozzy

Hi Nwerke/Rodmart, measured more carefully this time. I don't know if this matters but I'm posting it anyhow. Length falls at 20.65 or .66 cm, but it couldn't be more than that. This measurement doesn't include the excess sprue material at the front.

01Measuredagain.jpg

02Frontline.jpg

052066cm.jpg

04Frontexcess2.jpg

03Frontexcess.jpg
http://i469.photobucket.com/albums/rr52/crackerjazz/03Frontexcess.jpg

Last edited:

Rodmart, that's awesome. Thanks, still fits pretty well into my drawing. I was using the cladding-free turret from the Chronicles pic for dims so plating and greeblies will account for some of the difference; I wonder if the turrets are maybe just lift-off vac shells, or if that's the vac buck in place in that pic, or what! Quite a difference at 0.5". If that's right, then overall hull/turret height is 12".

Nice, thanks CJ.

Ozzy/Simon, I know those pics too, they're great and his approach is the way to go for sure. Really gonna need to assemble some gang moulds...sooooo many 232 chassis, lol...

Last edited:

Wow, you guys have been really busy working out the dims.
It is a very frustrating process trying to get this thing fairly accurate, but the major donor parts are a must to get some sort of handle on this prop.

I'm in the process of assembling all my donor parts for the engine deck cover plate right now, so I'll post pics of that very soon. It will at least provide a pretty accurate template for which other dims can be assertained.

Stu

Started getting some stuff ready for casting. I reckon I got ten lots like this to do. Some are for the turbo laser and some really small parts. I'm gonna cast most pieces as I actually like Building Tanks.

6d582c00.jpg
[/IMG]

The extent of organization you guys are putting into this is impressive. Way to go guys! You're really solving some of the problems that no one has tackled before. :thumbsup

Ill agree, the work ALL of you have put in thus far is superb, hours and hours of dedication, thats just way above my station, top job fella's.

Thats a very sweet bundle of parts too Simon, your a very busy bunny!

Oh, regards the hull curvature, once again, im a loser with ANH info, but the hull was hand turned from wood rings, then laminated with plexi, so the top to bottom curvatures wouldnt match up anyway, does that sound about right?

Anyhoo, its going to be epic seeing the first of these taking shape, another milestone studio scale thread!

lee

Scott, several builders have tackled the problems. One guy even did it pretty much before the Internet. The problem is that those guys basically achieved the feat by buying *every single kit that was in existence in 1976*, and checking for donors. So I guess some of them may tend to feel that us Johnny-come-latelys can bloody well do the same thing. :p

Lee, the hull *armature* is made from a laminated timber ring. The plexi shells are heat-formed, supposedly blown. Could be a couple of other processes too but whatever they did, some refs seem to show that difference! Could be more distortion but hard to account for it any other way.

Hi Falcon maniacs!
Cool set of parts you've got there!
I am still missing the bloody Ferrari 312B:cry.
Anyway, I do not remember if you asked me for the Hi resolution bluprint from the inner mandible I did. If you want it it is at your disposal mate! And for anyone participating here!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

STU...
I'm in the process of assembling all my donor parts for the engine deck cover plate right now, so I'll post pics of that very soon. It will at least provide a pretty accurate template for which other dims can be assertained.

Stu
Cool man, I'd love to see the pics of your work on the engin deck!

Wonderful drawings Rodmart, thanks for doing these, they really help alot mate.

Well, been tinkering around with the donors I have to get a handle on the engine deck cover & it is quite apparent that this area is not symetrical either, arrgghhhh. If I 'squared' things up to be symetrical & neat I think it would take away the quirkiness of this prop, so I'm thinking I'll match what Lorne did on this area & keep the dimensions SS accurate, well, as accurate as possible anyhoo.

Stu

WHEW, it's not just me then, good! Yeah I've been struggling with the engine deck a bit too mate, the outboard edges are just not lined up on equal angles at all amongst other things. Then you look at a pic like this and wonder whether the entire acrylic dome was saggy and weird over its whole surface to boot.

large-scale-millennium-falcon-kit-ids-web4.jpg-74202d1320761883

I think 'probably' is the right answer. Well, what can ya do. Idealise it and as you say, it loses its character.

PS notice fully finished comms dish? Salvaged from the Blockade Runner Falcon of course...

And what's going on with the lower hull in this pic? Is the entire dome section underlying the rear landing gear bay cut away?

Yes Nwerke,
A section with the shape of the rear landing gear bay was cut away to fit
the landing gear structure on the lower hull and a similar section on the upper hull. Look at these pics:

And the Upper Hull section:

And another pic just because it's too cool:

I have to agree with you guys, a perfectly symmetrical Falcon would loose it's magic.
But it would be quite an achievement to calculate the imprecisions :confused :confused

Last edited:

PS Simon mentioned above that the lower and upper hulls are not the same profile. We do suspect that to be true. It looks to us like the lower hull is pretty precisely 1/2" deeper than the upper hull.

If we're right, then we think maybe the domes weren't formed all that scientifically!

I found this as well.

I got my curve by taking dozens of pics of each of the quarter hulls at different angles and photoshopped its curve. Then created support stips.

This is just an example:
9076-untitled-1.jpg

I used 7-8 pieces of spacers per quarter hull.
9077-100-1127.jpg

They were different most of the time.
Turned out ok.
8991-photo0145.jpg

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Building a 5 foot falcon..... So easy a caveman can do it!!! :lol

Love the pic! great work guys..

Steve

I love your build, Whiskey. Got some questions for you, will PM.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back